Back To The K77s

garymd

Craig,

I don't know if it's me you are thinking of when you speak of people saying the K400 is crap, but as far as I go is to say that it is not very good. I believe it is bottleneck of the heritage speakers. I certainly is not crap! If you want crap, take a trip to Wall Mart and look in the boom-box department! I personally also disagree with trying to maitain the "Klipsch sound". It's my opinion that the "anything" sound is wrong. The idea is to reproduce the sound of the recorded performance as accurately as you can. This means "sweet", "musical", "fast" and all the other terms used to describe their speakers is simply forms of coloration. While it's true that you can never get total accuracy, it's what I beleive you should strive for. On the other hand, since you can't get total accuracy, you have to strive for what you like. If that is the "Klipsch sound", go fo it, but in that case why modify ANYTHING? They had the Klipsch sound 100% when the left the factory!

AL K.

AL,

I have no stake one way or the other. But the improvement that are made are not jaw dropping. For them to be jaw dropping it seems to me that stock Klipsch would have to be garbage to start with. I'm simply stating I have one set of 1994 Lascala's 100% original except original value cap replacement in the AL3 networks. My other set are 100% modified with your Klappenhorns, ALK Jr networks and as of today Crites Tweeters. I can enjoy either system and do not feel the need to modify the 1994's at all. By the same token I like my Modified set of speakers also. Its more that there different then flat out leaps and bounds better.

Craig

Al,

If I thought Bob's tweeters improved the sound of my system, I would have kept them in. To me, the "Klipsch Sound" to which I am referring is more "live" sounding and to me, more realistic. I've made many changes to my system for the better. Updated crossovers is just one example. Do they make my Khorns sound different then they did from the factory? Of course. Better? Definitely. I just don't feel I'm hearing improvement with this particular change. One of the reasons is I feel they take away from that great "live" sound I've always loved from my Klipsch speakers. Seems I'm in the minority which is fine with me. Must be a Baltimore thing.[;)]

Craig,

I don't know if it's me you are thinking of when you speak of people saying the K400 is crap, but as far as I go is to say that it is not very good. I believe it is bottleneck of the heritage speakers. I certainly is not crap! If you want crap, take a trip to Wall Mart and look in the boom-box department! I personally also disagree with trying to maitain the "Klipsch sound". It's my opinion that the "anything" sound is wrong. The idea is to reproduce the sound of the recorded performance as accurately as you can. This means "sweet", "musical", "fast" and all the other terms used to describe their speakers is simply forms of coloration. While it's true that you can never get total accuracy, it's what I beleive you should strive for. On the other hand, since you can't get total accuracy, you have to strive for what you like. If that is the "Klipsch sound", go fo it, but in that case why modify ANYTHING? They had the Klipsch sound 100% when the left the factory!

AL K.

Craig, I mostly agree with Al K.

Having owned PWK speakers for over 30 years, and being a purest all that time, I understand where you and many others come from.

When I put DIY crossovers in my Cornwalls, I noticed great improvement. Still pretty much stock. Then came the bracing, mid horn replacement, and mid driver. All of those things made them sound better. I tryed other things that did not display any improvement, and I freely admit that. But Hells-Bells buddy, if it sounds better, IT SOUNDS BETTER.

At some point in time, I realized that those CW's were no longer Klipsch speakers. That made me feel pretty strange after 30 years. Perhaps a bit guility.

Last weekend, I installed the BEC tweeters, and to me, they sound better than K77's.

Tonight, I will remove the "pie" from the grills. I hope that will make both you and me feel better.

You and I as individuals, can afford components that PWK could not put into production and be competive. PWK couldn't put a $30.00 cap in the filters, the K600 and K700 had to fit in the box. We can afford a $30.00 cap, we can place an ugly big a$$ mid horn atop the bass-bin. PWK could not. DeanG is running a ALK mid horn & a JBL tweeter as I understand it. Three years ago, Deano raved that the K401 and the new Klipsch filters "hung the moon".

I am simply stating that we (some PWK) audio-fools attempt to improve the standards, inspired by Mr. Klipsch.

Having said all of that, I do have my first Klipsch speakers. 1973 vert Cornwalls. Other than a crossover- cap up-grade, they will always remain stock.

I have raved about Altec 511b, but only compaired to the K600. (and the K500) How can I say it other than it smokes them both. If I ever claimed that the 511b was better than K700 or K600 or K500, it is only because it is true.

Have no doubt, I will always dance with the one who brung me. That dance partner was Paul W. Klipsch.

Warm regards,

tc

Wow, I am in a quandry now after seeing this thread. What type of improvement can I expect to get from the CT-125's? Should I or shouldn't I? Do I just leave well enough alone and keep my beloved 80 CW's stock? That is the 150 dollar question.

Guys,

What we are doing here is guilding the Lilly! Lets face it. The heritage speakers a good stuff to begin with. When we talk "jaw droping improvement", it all relitive! To my ears, when I took the K500 horns out of my Belles and put in altec 511b, that was a jaw droper! Everybodies ears are different. After all, some people even sware BOSE makes the works best speakers! It's going to be the same situation with the new BEC tweeter. Not everybody is going to think it the best thing since sliced bread. It's a new product and it's going to take a while before a consensus imerges about how good it is.

Al K.

Wow, I am in a quandry now after seeing this thread. What type of improvement can I expect to get from the CT-125's? Should I or shouldn't I? Do I just leave well enough alone and keep my beloved 80 CW's stock? That is the 150 dollar question.

Tom IMO you should put them in. Listen to them for a while and then once you've adjusted to them put the K77's back in. Then make your decision. My first thought was the difference was not that great but I was also fighting a set of 511b's that were, as I eventually came to realize, a bit overpowering. I adjusted my squawkers down a tap and then eventually gave the CT125's another go and to me there was a noticeable improvement. Again I am not not saying my K400's and K77M's were bad, but to my ears the Altec 511b's when "properly" adjusted and CT125's present a very noticeably cleaner, smoother sound. But only your ears will make that determination much in the same way you came to the opinion you preferred CW's over LS's.

One man's "extended and clean" is another man's "piercing."

My tweeters arrive today and I will be mounting them this weekend--and they will be VERTICAL, as I have no choice in my Cornwalls!

I'll let you all know what I think . . .

So Allan what did ya think?

Allan's probably fighting that LA traffic right now, trying to get home so he can install them.

Could be Long Beach 5-405 merge yyyyyeeeeeuuuukkkkk!

Jim, that's actually referred to as the El Toro "Y". And yes, it's gnarly. I am guessing that Allan probably takes the 710 to L.B. Usually not much better with all the container trucks going back and forth from port to downtown LA.

Allan's probably fighting that LA traffic right now, trying to get home so he can install them.

Jim, that's actually referred to as the El Toro "Y". And yes, it's gnarly. I am guessing that Allan probably takes the 710 to L.B. Usually not much better with all the container trucks going back and forth from ports to downtown LA.

I for the life of me will never understand how you folks in the LA area can live in that mess...... Heck I can't even stand to drive through or near Detroit.

Craig

Jim, that's actually referred to as the El Toro "Y". And yes, it's gnarly. I am guessing that Allan probably takes the 710 to L.B. Usually not much better with all the container trucks going back and forth from ports to downtown LA.

I for the life of me will never understand how you folks in the LA area can live in that mess...... Heck I can't even stand to drive through or near Detroit.

Craig

I wouldn't know any different, nor would I want to live anywhere else. Give me So Cal anyday!