DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD QUALITY FURNITURE STORE AT GOOD PRICES

IKEA!

I have been using their stuff to redo my audio room and now the living room! Good stuff. Very reasonable pricing!

I just went there today. Though they sell trendy and fashionable furniture most of them are particle board or so. They are not that strong i mean so watch out the kid does not stand on that shelf or so....

Thought their swedish meatballs are oh soo good. But anyways...... They are so relatively cheap that if they break you can buy another one.

Drive to North Carolina and buy direct from the factories. It's too far for me, so we just buy Ethan Allen when they run sales. The Amish suggestion is also good, and there may be places in PA for this too.

Be careful with the "Amish" label. I live around Amish country and I get the feeling many people milk that Amish crap for all they can get. There are some very nice amish made pieces but they sure don't seem to be cheap. To me, it seems like the Amish way is farily big business for some of the rural counties south of me. Bring in the city folk from Cleveland/Akron/Columbus/Pittsburgh ans sell them whatever we can!

"There are some very nice amish made pieces but they sure don't seem to be cheap."

GOOD furniture - the "kind you pass on to your kids" kind of good, isn't cheap. Quality costs serious dough - then add in the fact that most furniture dealers are operating on high margin, and it's easy to see how many get sticker shock.

One thing I do when shopping for such goods (especially when not in a hurry): Look at used options. Many buy furniture then discover they don't like it or need to move. Many just sell it off instead of moving it. More time consuming, but some seriously quality stuff is seen in ads and estate sales.....and this older, better made - or high end furniture puts into perspective what REAL quality furniture is made like.

Hint: A quality couch cannot be moved by two people without serious effort. If it can, the movers are super strong, or the couch is cheap. Flip it over, flop on it, see how solid it is. If you think the world of electronics has gone "cheap", look at some of the furniture!

The "amish" furniture places I've been in offer some very nice pieces, and no, they are not cheap, but they are a good value.

"There are some very nice amish made pieces but they sure don't seem to be cheap."

GOOD furniture - the "kind you pass on to your kids" kind of good, isn't cheap. Quality costs serious dough - then add in the fact that most furniture dealers are operating on high margin, and it's easy to see how many get sticker shock.

One thing I do when shopping for such goods (especially when not in a hurry): Look at used options. Many buy furniture then discover they don't like it or need to move. Many just sell it off instead of moving it. More time consuming, but some seriously quality stuff is seen in ads and estate sales.....and this older, better made - or high end furniture puts into perspective what REAL quality furniture is made like.

Hint: A quality couch cannot be moved by two people without serious effort. If it can, the movers are super strong, or the couch is cheap. Flip it over, flop on it, see how solid it is. If you think the world of electronics has gone "cheap", look at some of the furniture!

The "amish" furniture places I've been in offer some very nice pieces, and no, they are not cheap, but they are a good value.

My previous post didn't come across the way I meant. I have no problem paying for quality built items. And a well built but expensive item can certainly be a good value. I'd just say that one needs to careful, just because something is "Amish made", doesn't mean it's good quality. The amish make a lot of junk too. Tourism is big for amish country.

We'll go to a good furniture store like Mastercraft, find what we like then order from Jones Brothers out of N.C. Saves about 50%. Still, to buy good stuff, you'll have to pay (we paid about $4k for our Hancock & Moore leather sofa and ottoman in the family room - that was about 50% off retail!). Stuff we'll hand down to our kids though.

Upscale consignment shops can sometimes yield good results too. I'd try some of those first. Check the yellow pages in your area. We have 2 within a mile from our house.