Report on modded/ upgraded La Scala's

solarcarl

After spending time with my La Scala's fresh from a series of mods here is what I have to report.

Tearing out the squawker horns, cutting into the cabinets and fitting the pair of Altec 511Bs with my original K-55 drivers was a great move. The mid range sounds a lot richer and took these speakers to a new level.

Upgrading to Bob's new tweeters was another good move. Two thumbs up on those. I'm listening to some nice guitar picking music and finally hearing detail I never was getting before. Since the 511s took up the whole top of the cabinet I mounted the tweeters on aluminum brackets above the horns.The brackets bend with some force, allowing me to point them.

I also upgraded the crossovers to Al's universal networks that I bought in kit form and assembled myself. That was pretty straightforward but somewhat tedious for someone that didnt grow up handling a soldering iron. I got the Hovland cap option, couldnt hurt. One thing I did was install two sets of 5-way jacks into the back of the speakers that I wired to the crossovers in bi-wire configuration. All of my other speakers are bi-wired and my cables are already set up for it and from what I've read some claim it improves the sound.I just did an A/B a few times which was easy by pulling the jumpers away and listen up all you naysayers, there was a noticeable difference. In bi-wire mode I noticed a lot more detailed sound and the mids and highs were more distinct. The ultimate test would be to see if my girlfriend could here the difference but I'm willing to bet I could sit any of you in front of my system and you would notice it.

These suckers sound like new speakers. Since I did all the upgrades together I cant rave about one thing over the other but they sound a ton better from the top to the bottom. One thing I noticed and this is in spite of what Al had told me was that the speakers sounded better after they got a few hours on them and I can only attribute that to the caps and other crossover parts breaking in. As for bang for the buck, I had swapped a pair of nos american tubes into my amp tonight in place of the russian ones I had and that was a dramatic and suprising improvement and a lot cheaper than all these other mods.

I saved the worst for last. I built some of the bass reflex bins to go under the La Scala's and would have to say that they actually made the bass sound worse. I have A/B'd them a few times and they seem to rob some of the mib-bass and loose whatever punchiness was there. I did notice that you could actually feel the bass on your stomach with the bass ports installed but that wasnt accompanied by any other desireable quality.

Anyone in the Bay Area curious about this mod is welcome to borrow my bass boxes. I may flip them upside down and use them as pedestals to put the speakers up higher as I think there was some value in that.

I wanted to post some pics but I dont see that option. Carl

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks good except for the bass mod can you remove it?

I like the looks of the tweeter mounting as well

btw your avatar is quite disturbing, it really creeps me out, is that a photoshopped pic of a dog or did you just get lucky enough to shoot your dog appearing to have human qualities? either way its creepy

That pic was of a dog some guy was giving away because his wife didnt like it. She claimed it would always follow her into the bathroom and stare at her while she showered and that was creeping her out.

The La Scalas just rested on the bass boxes with sealing tape between them so it was easy to A/B them and now put them in storage.

The speakers sound brilliant and the comment I read somewhere that the tweeters actually breakin may be true because my first reaction was the highs were a bit annoying and them after a few CDs they sounded smoother. If I did want to dampen the tweeters a bit to keep with the crossovers ability to lower the squawkers therefore bringing out more of the bass would it be reasonable to use L-pads in the tweeter path or what is the correct way to do that? Carl

Carl, ALK offers a custom built tweeter attenuator that would lower the level of the tweeter. Based on the quality of his cross-overs I am sure this would be an ideal way to control the output level of the tweeters. If you do not know it already check out his site at www.alkeng.com.

looks good except for the bass mod can you remove it?

I like the looks of the tweeter mounting as well

btw your avatar is quite disturbing, it really creeps me out, is that a photoshopped pic of a dog or did you just get lucky enough to shoot your dog appearing to have human qualities? either way its creepy

I agree man that is some weird wacky stuff. Like a bad car crash, can't help but look.

That pic was of a dog some guy was giving away because his wife didnt like it. She claimed it would always follow her into the bathroom and stare at her while she showered and that was creeping her out.

lol nice finish to the whole creep thing

thanks for the laugh, my kinda humor

I saved the worst for last. I built some of the bass reflex bins to go under the La Scala's and would have to say that they actually made the bass sound worse. I have A/B'd them a few times and they seem to rob some of the mib-bass and loose whatever punchiness was there. I did notice that you could actually feel the bass on your stomach with the bass ports installed but that wasnt accompanied by any other desireable quality.

Anyone in the Bay Area curious about this mod is welcome to borrow my bass boxes. I may flip them upside down and use them as pedestals to put the speakers up higher as I think there was some value in that.

I wanted to post some pics but I dont see that option. Carl

This is what I kind of thought would be the results of the ported pass mod to a Lascala. I bet the Cornscala gives similar results?

Craig

Your impressions regarding the bass mod are very interesting. As I'm considering the same bass mod for La Scalas, I'd like to put your impressions in perspective. Others have repeatedly said that no one who tried the similar mod went back to unmodified. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Please understand that I'm not discrediting your opinion; you can't be wrong when stating personal preferences. Nonetheless, please provide the details of your modification, e.g., port length, port diameter, stuffing, etc. so that apples can be compared to apples, as much as possible, under the circumstances.

Like Craig, Im not surprised that you feel the attributes of the horn loaded bass are compromised by the bass reflex loadingand unloading of the woofer. Its all about compromise.

Because its a relatively simple and totally reversible mod, Ill probably do it regardless. Even so, it would be useful to know exactly how you did it so that comparisons could be made to the ways that others have done it.

Its refreshing to hear someone acknowledge that the results their latest DIY mod were less than expected. Thanks for your candor.