What electric bass tone do you love?

rockbobmel

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaco Pastorius created an incredible new (at the time) and beautiful tone for the electric bass.

Rest in peace, Jaco.

Best in horns,

triceratops

Jaco played a modded Fender Jass (frets pulled and board epoxied), never changed his strings and played with chicken greasy fingers.

Amazing!!!

From Heavy Metal Masters "Manowar", I nominate Joey DeMaio, who plays 4 & 8 string, plus piccolo custom made axes.

Their Hell On Earth IV DVD has a solo from him in 5.1 and is fantastic!

In the other corner, It's Robbie Shakespeare from Reggae Masters "Black Uhuru". Their double disc CD Liberation, the Island anthology, is bass-o-riffick!

NP - The Exit - Home for an Island

Rick Danko of the Band

Mr. Jack Bruce of the Cream; West,Bruce and Laing;BLT

Jack Bruce played an old Gibson Eb3, I think, and played through tube amps. That gave him his murky sound. Listen to Spoonful from "Wheels Of Fire"

Rock a few questions for you; Is there anything finer than an open string sound of a stand up Bass? What do think about fretless Basses? Hope I spell this right, Rickenboker Bass, nothing sounds like a Ric. I love the sound of the Bass, guys like Jack Bruce, Entwistle, Jaco (RIP), even Sting, just took it to a higher level. Not many bassist could actually move a guitarist out of the way and play lead the way these guys could.As much as I love the Electric Guitar, it's the bottom end that carries everything. Bass and drums, the heart and soul of a great band. It amases me that a 4 string use to be enough, but now you see more 5 and 6 strings being used, love that sound.Duck Dunn, Bill Wyman,Stanley Clarke, even John McVie, great bassist all. I have always felt that the Bass never got it's proper respect as an instrument, always taking a back seat to the Guitar, and even the drums. Good post! Maybe all those crows weren't Page fans but Bass fans waiting for you to hit an open E string for them!

Rick Danko of the Band

Mr. Jack Bruce of the Cream; West,Bruce and Laing;BLT

Jack Bruce played an old Gibson Eb3, I think, and played through tube amps. That gave him his murky sound. Listen to Spoonful from "Wheels Of Fire"

Rock a few questions for you; Is there anything finer than an open string sound of a stand up Bass? What do think about fretless Basses? Hope I spell this right, Rickenboker Bass, nothing sounds like a Ric. I love the sound of the Bass, guys like Jack Bruce, Entwistle, Jaco (RIP), even Sting, just took it to a higher level. Not many bassist could actually move a guitarist out of the way and play lead the way these guys could.As much as I love the Electric Guitar, it's the bottom end that carries everything. Bass and drums, the heart and soul of a great band. It amases me that a 4 string use to be enough, but now you see more 5 and 6 strings being used, love that sound.Duck Dunn, Bill Wyman,Stanley Clarke, even John McVie, great bassist all. I have always felt that the Bass never got it's proper respect as an instrument, always taking a back seat to the Guitar, and even the drums. Good post! Maybe all those crows weren't Page fans but Bass fans waiting for you to hit an open E string for them!

Oldbuckster,

Well said,I enjoy the sound of a stand up bass also!

Greg