What is THE Mac sound???

jorjen

In your opinion, how would you characterize the general sonic signature of Mac gear? What do you think of the Mac/Klipsch combo in general?

I know questions like these are always accompanied by a plethora of variables, just lookin' for the broad strokes.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I at the present time do not own McIntosh equipment, but believe me I will. I have heard a couple of Mac/ Klipsch set-ups, and nothing sounds like them. Deep, strong bottom end punch, without having to crank up the volume. I have heard mac tubes, and mac SS, and my ears can't tell that difference, but run the same speakers with Scott, Kenwood, Denon, the speakers don't sound the same, thin, weak, compared to the Mac's. There will be much more knowledgable people answering this post than me, and I bet you are going to get a whole bunch of differing opinions, read them well, there a some smart guys on this forum, and they all mean well. I have wanted McIntosh for 40 years, and mark my words, I will have a MAC Attack. My 2 cents.

I would echo what Allan said. I too love the MAC sound but at least in the case of tubes (I have owned both MC30s and my current MC225s) find that I like them WAY better with modern preamps. The clarity and detail improve dramatically while still maintaining the overall musical signature.

I actually liked my MC225s better with the solid state preamp section on my MA 6100 than I did using a MX110. And now with the Peach, I am in heaven.

Josh

Warm, rich, lush, dark.

That's what one often hears.

I love the McIntosh sound--especially the MC30s.

If you're into hyper-detail and sound effects records, I would pass.

Alan and Josh summed it up very well. Except in part of Allan's statement you can get all the above with detail.

Craig

Warm, rich, lush, dark.

Alan and Josh summed it up very well. Except in part of Allan's statement you can get all the above with detail.

Craig

Detail----YES!

Just not that uber-fake sounding HYPER detail.

Warm, rich, lush, dark.

Craig

Detail----YES!

Right. The detail you get from a McIntosh (especially the 30's) is not overdone - it's very spooky lifelike detail, especially in the mids. The 30's midrange is very SET-like in it's realism (especially when tweaked with good NOS branded tubes). The 6L6 in that circuit makes for a dream-like midrange - so good, the imperfect extremes of the amp become almost a selling point - and can be further improved in those areas with proper cap selections. Yeah, they are flavored, and I LIKE 'em that way. Comfy like your dad's La-Z-Boy.

I don't necessarily think of MC30's as "dark"......warm, lush.....yeah. But not necessarily dark - it depends on tube selection (and caps, too - all originals might sound dark, replacements can change that some). I have mine set up for a bit more high frequency extension and open midrange (Amperex 12AU7 and Tele 12AX7 with RCA blackplate 6L6GC outputs). I'm really happy with what I'm hearing. Not the tightest bass, but who cares????? I'll take MC30 midrange for $500, Alex.

As for my MX110, I just had a Peach in here for a month....and while the Peach certainly was a better preamp, I must say that I really like the 110 with the 30s. It's not "straight wire with gain", but it's a very good synergy - and I don't necessarily feel like I MUST replace the preamp - as I thought might happen when the Peach left here. That 110 is a damn good unit with Mac tube amps....and when recapped is still a bargain, even at the more recent higher prices. My 110 had done very well in my system (and in others too) with some VERY stiff competition. I'm in no hurry to sell it, that's for sure....even if I get another pre, the 110 stays.

My CWs sounded pretty good with my old MC 250 and my other brother's MC 2100, however the 250 had a little more warmth to it.

Now the MC 7200 that jt1stcav had (my other - other brother) didn't impress me at all. In fact, that amp seemed brighter than that little Carver M-400t he had.

I agree with the descriptions of the mac tube gear so far - very lush, detailed, warm sound. I hear more of the fundamental vs the harmonics of an instrument - giving more body if you will - easily heard on percussion instruments for example.

Of course, you could also simplify it to:

...all the right stuff....

I've gone ahead and embraced the term "dark" and thereby dumbfounded critics of some of the gear I love so much (McIntosh, SPU, and BAT CD player). I just tell 'em that "I love the dark, rich and lush sound of my system."

[:^)]

Allan,

What do you mean by "dark"?[:^)]

I've gone ahead and embraced the term "dark" and thereby dumbfounded critics of some of the gear I love so much (McIntosh, SPU, and BAT CD player). I just tell 'em that "I love the dark, rich and lush sound of my system."

[:^)]

Allan,

What do you mean by "dark"?[:^)]

You know, like a McIntosh [;)]

Warm, rich, lush, dark.

Craig

Detail----YES!

So Allan spit it out what are you describing? Seems like your trying to make a point or something.

Craig

OK.

I once owned Quad 57 speakers--which are very "clean" and detailed in their presentation and while lacking some low end authority are still among my favorites of all the speakers I have owned--right up with the Tannoys and the Conrwalls.

I was driving them with Marantz tube gear and/or various SS stuff at the time (late 1970s) and really thought I had a system that could not be beat. In those days I was listening to a lot of the same things I listen to today but also quite a bit of loud electric rock, blues and "fusion" as well.

One day I picked up a McIntosh tube amp (MC240) and preamp (C11)after not having heard Mac gear as a grown man. When I put it in my system I immediately noticed a very pronounced difference when compared with the Marantz stuff. Everyting seemed warmer, more lush and yet more REALISTIC in presentation--bass notes may not have had the same clarity, but they sounded real, had more authority. And the midrange was so much more lifelike--especially vocals. So that MAC was a bit softer in it's presentation, as if --to give a video analogy- the contrast and brightness controls were backed off just a bit. We're talking subtle differences here, but they were there.

I think that's what others mean when they way "dark." Sure, darker than "bright," but more like natural sunlight as opposed to a halogen lamp (to use yet another analogy).

And I've been hooked on both MAC gear and the 6L6 ever since.

I think that's what others mean when they way "dark." Sure, darker than "bright," but more like natural sunlight as opposed to a halogen lamp (to use yet another analogy).

Dark means something different to me. I work in an acute care hospital. If a patient tells me things are getting "dark", that often times means they have a few hours to live.

I think natural would be a better description, rather than dark.

Allan, have you seen a doctor lately? Just to be on the safe side?

Macs and Klipsch (Heritage) just seem like a natural combination to me.

But then, I've liked the sound my little ss Mac on every speaker I've

used (except for some Infinitys).

Allan summed it up Mac's have detail just not the ober detail, not in your face it is just there and very laid back and effortless detail. I love the Mac/Klipsch sound. My end goal for my HT is to be Mac powered/driven. Granted you pay quite a bit more but to me the sound is just so easy to listen to.