Sad news today.

RTTR

Well I was hoping this would be the best week for me in a while, being that I'm probably gonna get my NAD preamp on Wednesday, I was hit with some very sad news, my 7 year old Sheltie has cancer, and the operation is going to cost $1000+ which my family doesn't have that kind of money for right now, since my dad just had the leg surgery and that really hurt our budget. The MRI today on the dog cost $600, that's a lot of money. $600 bam just like that.

Sad news. Our pets give us so much unconditionally. When you're faced with it, it's a tough choice to not spend the big bucks for operations and meds. You might feel like you're letting them down. In my experience and from what I've seen friends go through, it's best to simply provide love and comfort at home until the time comes to do the humane thing. I've seen friends put pets through expensive operations only to lose them or see them get other complications. I've only seen one miracle comeback and so much depends on the age and health of the dog. Unless the success of the operation is a reasonably sure thing, I wouldn't put a pet through it. It can be hard, especially for an active dog like a sheltie, to confine them after an operation and/or make them wear a cone over their head so they don't tear at stitches. Don't feel guilty if you opt to not put your dog through an expensive operation and treatment. All they want is love and to be spared too much pain. If you can give them comfort and let them peacefully pass away in your arms when the time comes, you've done well for them.

I'm sorry to hear this... I guess it depends on where the cancer is, what type, how old he is, etc. Depending on all this, if it were me - I'd work 3 jobs and sell my khorns if I had to if there was a chance. Has it been biopsied and determined it's malignant? Is he on seriously good quality foods. Seems almost a waste to spend almost the same amount on a diagnostic test (MRI) and not take action on what the MRI says? Did the vet say this was fixable? I'm impressed he has an MRI. Must be a fairly decent vet!

I don't even want to begin to tell you the money we've spent with these things and we're not minted by any means. We've had successes though. Our last cancer patient got an extra 4 years. Quality, full years & worth every penny. She knew she had a 2nd chance too. She was renewed - turned into the energizer bunny. She was given grim odds. 6 months tops.

Give it time to sink in & search the net - you'll figure out what to do.

I'm sorry to hear this... I guess it depends on where the cancer is, what type, how old he is, etc. Depending on all this, if it were me - I'd work 3 jobs and sell my khorns if I had to. Has it been biopsied and determined it's malignant? Is he on seriously good quality foods. Seems almost a waste to spend almost the same amount on a diagnostic test (MRI) and not take action on what the MRI says? Did the vet say this was fixable? I'm impressed he has an MRI. Must be a fairly decent vet!

The whole reason we started to get concerned is when his left eye started bulging out a little last week, and his eye a little red. So yeah the tumor is behind his eye. There is really nothing I can do, I'm only 21 and work at a grocery store, I don't make millions. I think my dad should just try to take out a loan to ease the impact of the surgery he had done (my dads leg surgery), and get my dog fixed.

Sputnik put it all pretty well. I can't add anything other that to say that we're here for ya no matter what. It's a tough decision. I've had to put a few pets down, it's the last favor you can do for you companion if that's what's best. Listen to the Doctor, their advice is usually spot on.

Michael

Man, that is sad news and I am so, so sorry to hear this. Our pets seem to be taking alot of hits lately, rips my heart out. At least humans have the capacity to understand what is happening to them. I will keep your baby in my thoughts and prayers and I know everything will work out. Hang in there.

I am so sorry. While I don't subscribe to the "Out with the old, in with the new" point of view when it comes to pets, I do think that any decision you make should be made fairly soon for the sake of your dog. If the poor dog's eye really is bulging out, even a little, it probably is in some--and maybe quite a bit of--pain, which will only get worse. If finances will let you proceed with the operation very soon, that's great; if not, it would be a kindness to act while the dog still has some quality of life and dignity left.

Again, my condolences.

Behind his eye huh?

What is the technical name of his cancer/tumor? Did they biopsy to determine it's actually cancer and not a benign tumor? I'm having a problem with how an MRI can diagnose 'cancer' vs. a 'benign' tumor.

Sounds like your dad didn't have insurance for his leg? That's a bit unusual, but I would think that whoever approved of the MRI, had to know the rough cost of that and had the intent on acting on the results of the MRI. Otherwise - why run the test to begin with?

Can you answer the questions I asked?

You bought over $1,400 worth of gear in the last month.... right? Plus whatever other gear & speakers you already had. Not many people your age can pull that off. But you did. Somehow. That doesn't smack of 'destitute' to me. Dog needs less money. I think if you wanted this - you can figure out a way to swing it. Minimally, you can sell some stuff. Besides, you can negotiate with the vet on the price or even work out a payment plan. $1,000 isn't exactly $10,000. It's doable for this dog.

If you really wanted to do this for him.

Behind his eye huh?

What is the technical name of his cancer/tumor? Did they biopsy to determine it's actually cancer and not a benign tumor? I'm having a problem with how an MRI can diagnose 'cancer' vs. a 'benign' tumor.

Sounds like your dad didn't have insurance for his leg? That's a bit unusual, but I would think that whoever approved of the MRI, had to know the rough cost of that and had the intent on acting on the results of the MRI. Otherwise - why run the test to begin with?

Can you answer the questions I asked?

You bought over $1,400 worth of gear in the last month.... right? Plus whatever other gear & speakers you already had. Not many people your age can pull that off. But you did. Somehow. That doesn't smack of 'destitute' to me. Dog needs less money. I think if you wanted this - you can figure out a way to swing it. Minimally, you can sell some stuff. Besides, you can negotiate with the vet on the price or even work out a payment plan. $1,000 isn't exactly $10,000. It's doable for this dog.

If you really wanted to do this for him.

I don't really know anything about what's wrong with the dog, all my mom said is it's a tumor behind the eye, I dont know why she won't tell me anything else about it, all I know is my dad said "well it's going to have to wait we don't have the money". my dad had insurance on his leg, the total operation cost $32,000 and he owe's $6000 (I believe) for the week in the hospital, and a special VAC machine something or other he has to carry around for another 3 weeks, plus some inhome care service.

I'm gonna go off of Meagain's advice. You're 21, right? That means you're an adult. I know about living with the folks, etc. I don't know your financial status, but Meagain has some interesting takes on things.

Is it your dog? Talk directly to the doctor. If its' to be your money spent on your dog, get the best information you can. I'm thinking for family unity, you wouldn't want to put your dog down, knowing that your Mom might have withheld information from you. Armed with the best info you can get and the DOCTOR"S ADVICE about the situation (remember they see this stuff all the time), make your decision about your dog's care- outside of the financial concern. In other words, if you could pay, WOULD YOU? Talk to your folks.

If the medical and ethical choice is to go through the surgery, then you have a financial decision to make. WIll the doctor give any discount or payment terms? Do you have credit card anywhere? So what if parents can't swing it. This is about what you would do to save your buddy. Can you do this if it makes sense to do it. If the outcome of surgery is highly doubtful or the dog's full recover very uncertain, that makes things a little tougher.

If you're so inclined, you might pray for the correct answer to come to you. There are some of us who believe that there are higher forces at work. If you have any belief system at all, this would be the time to ask for guidance.

We all wish you well with whatever decisions are made.

Michael

I'll go along with Michael. It sounds like your folks have a lot on their plate, and tailwagger is yours to deal with.

If your vet has time, find out alternate courses of action and probable outcomes. Being close to the optic nerve, removal of the mass may result in blindness and other setbacks.

Find out exactly what the vet thinks the tumor is. If you can, talk to Ann Acuff and the other great Sheltie owners at Mid Tennesse Sheltie Rescue. Many of them have experience in similar situations, and they may have more specific suggestions than us.

http://www.midtnsheltierescue.org/

If you can, do what is best for you dog. It may turn out than pain meds may bring a higher quality of life for the time he has left than surgery, treatment, and more surgery. Having owned shelties for close to thirty five years, my heart goes out to you. Sometimes we want to hold on for so long we don't listen to our loved one being called to go explore elsewhere. Treasure the time you have spent together, and the precious time you still have.

Sheltie Dave - Unless I missed something in this thread.... We don't even know if it's cancer. We do know it's a tumor/mass of some kind. This could be a mere benign growing tumor that can be fixed for all we know right now.

Dude! Sounds like there's some communication issues in your home right now. Plus, it sounds like your dad is calling the shots on this. No need to allow that. You gotta take the bull by the horns here, be proactive, and have a sit down or phone call with the vet. Prepare your list of questions and write down everything he says. I would do this TODAY. This costs nothing.

Yes, DO IT NOW. Talk to vet, then ask questions, maybe contact that Sheltie place Dave gave you info. Post here again if ya wanna air it out.

If your dog (can we have a name please?) is hurting so much that you took him to the vet, please make whatever decision you make in a timely manner- like today, okay?

Not to lay a guilt trip on ya, but would you wanna lie there and hurt?

Michael

Yes, I agree with meagain, Mike and others here.

Go to or call your vet and find out exactly what's going on. And it would be best to take care of things in a timely manner. The vet WILL work with you on total cost and payment options/plans.

Two years ago between my brother's (not jt1stcav) birthday and mine (June 24th - me & 27th - his), we had to take out oldest cat Pepper which was a black Siamese to the vet to be put down on my lunch break. I had just turned 29 at the time. Pepper was 19!! To make a long story short, I cried like a baby and called into work telling them I wasn't able to come back in for the rest of the day.

It really hit me hard because I remember my Dad bringing him home when I was 10 which I can still remember like it was just yesterday. I knew and loved Pepper for more than half my life and it was hard as hell to make the decision to do what we had to do. My eyes are watering up now just writing this.

Anyway, my point is find out what needs/can be done and do it! The whole money thing can be taken care of afterwards, trust me!

Good luck!

Don't put this on your parents; it is tough on them also. If

it is YOUR dog, or if you are willing to take action, talk to the vet about

what is going on. See what they can do to help you with this. It may be nothing

but it never hurts to ask.

I have had several dogs over the years and I have loved each

one to the fullest. Some dogs are born to have a shorter life than others and

that is life. Yes I have had to put dogs down, it is never easy and yes I cried

over them.

The worst time I had was with a dog we had about 12 years

ago (man time flys! it seems like yesterday!) He died overnight and in great

pain. We didn't find that he needed help until morning the next day when it was

too late. One of our dogs that we have now nearly died of the same thing but he

was sleeping in our room and we heard his distress. It cost over $2500 to save

his life and it never was a certain outcome.

I know it stinks but this is how life is. I have learned

many of lifes lessons from dogs. Love each of them with all your heart but

when it comes to things like this, follow your vets advice if possible. They

are unattached to the situation and are able to give an honest appraisal of the

situation. Sometimes the right thing to do is the hardest thing, you owe it to

your dog to do the best thing for him/her that you can. Money is also a real

factor, it needs to be considered when these decisions are made as much as it

hurts, sometimes the money isnt there to have the operation and that is life

also.

Please do post here if you need to, we do want to

help.