HD-DVD Arrives!!!

Tom Adams

I agree as an owner of a 3910, ouch, you gotta give those HD guys props for putting out the 3 best movies ever The Last Samurai, Serenity, and the best of all The Phantom of the Opera. Like I always say I can never get enough of that Phantom of the Opera, wowsers that is a great movie and I bets it all that more impressive in super HD.

Very interesting article. Glad I forked out all that moola on a Denon DVD3910 - NOT! [:(]

http://www.projectorcentral.com/hd-dvd.htm

Tom

I'll gladly "get by" for the next year or so with my 3910, gazillion movies, and HDTV. Enjoy POTOpera night after night in all its glory. By the time there are 100 software titles out there worth owning, there will probably be a player worthy of replacing the 3910 and will most likely play both of the new formats.

Anybody want to buy my 1,200 dollar laser disc player...now that has an impressive video display. Too bad the sound formats were not there to go with it. The cool LP sized discs were fun to look at too. Made you feel like you were getting something for your 50-80 bucks per movie.

IMO my Denon DVD 2200 does a fine job. Especially when you consider all that ITC flag HDCP crap we are likely going to have forced down our throats. No thanks. Maybe in a few years after the industry realizes they screwed the pooch in a major way, I'll consider BluRay or HD DVD or whatever the en vogue format player of the month is but until then Ill pass.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

EDIT: I still have my Pioneer Laser Disc player even though it is in retirement for the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy with my 3910 and don't intend to get rid of it. However, you must admit that since the Toshiba HD-DVD player can do just about everything the 3910 does, plus it can play HD-DVD all for $499, it's pretty hard to justify spending $1K on a 3910 (assuming one is out buying today). That's all I was getting at. It's some what akin to the $2500 - $3000 projectors out there that can just about kick most $9K machine's butt.

Tom

Crud, I need a new DVD player pronto. what to get then?

I don't think I'll be high def for quite a while anyway. Maybe the 2910 for now???

Help me out here, I need something within a couple of weeks. Less than $500 please or I'll just buy a cheapo.

Michael

Crud, I need a new DVD player pronto. what to get then?

I don't think I'll be high def for quite a while anyway. Maybe the 2910 for now???

Help me out here, I need something within a couple of weeks. Less than $500 please or I'll just buy a cheapo.

Michael

Oppo - $199.00...til the dust settles on HD

I own the new Toshibe HD DVD. The video quality via component cables is the best that I have seen on SD DVDs (480p.) The HD DVDs are excellent so far in 1080i. All 5 that I have exhibit brilliant colors, fine detail and no motion artifacts no matter how fast the motion in HD,

The Warner releases have low sound levels, but the player has a setting to solve the problem. One quirk is that unless you use HDMI for both sound and video, the sound on all HD DVDs put out so far comes out as DTS at 1.5 Mbps.

The down side is that player operation is clunky as is the remote.

Bill

I hate to sound like an old RECORD, but here we go again, HD-DVD are you serious? How many times is the public going to put up with this crap, another new, best of the best, top of the line, improved quality, state of the state of art, topshelf, whatever label you want to put on it, HorseHockey.We as consumers need to slow down, and quit buying into this hype the recording industry shoves down our throats. Between the recording, and movie industry,crawling into bed with the equipment companies, changing formats, and changing equipment every six months, when do we get a break from spending our money? Sooner or later we need to say, NO More. Don't write back and tell me about how the everything changes so quickly in this modern world. They have a plan to push HD-Dvd's, and they will,and people will buy, and in the spring it will be S-HD- Dvd's, that will need new players, and again people will buy. I guess I'm just a negative old fart, that doesn't understand, that by changing things all the time, the people making the Dvd's and the equipment to play them on, will always have a job,and that's good for the economy of CHINA and MEXICO!!! How foolish of me to complain.

HDTV is the biggest fiasco that I have ever seen in consumer electronics. Yet, by the end of 2006, about a third of the homes in the US will have HDTVs. Lots of folks also use projectors that blow up the picture to sizes that exceed the ability of SD DVD to provide a high quality picture.

HD DVD and Blu-Ray will give big screen HDTV owners the HD content that they want to watch on TVs that they already own. In my case, why buy, rent or watch 480i SD DVDs on a high def set that does 1080i. HD DVD will eventually give us seven discrete channels of sound for the 7.1 speaker arrays that we already own. One or both of the new high def DVD formats are the future of home theater for enthusiasts.

When VHS tapes went away, it was not a bad thing. SD DVD will eventually go away as well, albeit more slowly.

Bill