next several months.

For those who may have not been here for awhile, or are new to this

thread, this is simply a great place to offer music selections which

you think others might be interested in learning about. I can

tell you from my own personal experience I have purchased quite a few

cd's that folks have suggested here, with only one or two that I really

didn't like. Much better results than the crap shoot of wandering

a record store by your lonesome. And yo know if a Klipschster

thinks well of it it will be very-well recorded.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of

music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp

etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

The Band, self-ttitled, lp, rock/follk/country.

Picked up a minty lp of this at a weekend estate sale, amazing

condition given it's age and thae fact that this like many 60's rock

lps were usually played ot death.

The Band's first release and to my mind their greatest album.

Songs like "Rag Mama Rag", "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", "Up

on Cripple Creek" are only a few of the well known gems on this

masterpiece. My favorite cut, suprisingly is "Look Out

Cleveland". A unique and wonderful recording.

So what do you have to share this week?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad Mehldau, Largo, CD, Jazz.

I like this album because the Brad Mehldau trio really does something different for jazz, especially in this album. In one song Brad puts putty on the bass strings of the piano to give it an interesting effect. Clean recordings and catchy music.

Here's a link in case you're interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068WXL/sr=8-4/qid=1146606134/ref=pd_bbs_4/102-8853811-4620924?%5Fencoding=UTF8

The Black Crowes,All Join Hands,Live @ the Fillmore DVD

This is from the2005 tour,about 19 songs.Thebes will be glad to know it

has a great version of"The Night They Drove ol'Dixie Down".Along with

many of their great tunes it also has a faithful version of"Space

Captain"(one of my favorites from "Mad Dogs and Englishmen".2ch,DD,DTS at $10 a great show,anytime you want.

Jorma Kaukonen- Quah- LP Grunt 10209

For those who are not familiar, Jorma Kaukonen was a member of Jefferson Airplane. After they disbanded in 1974, Jorma came out with this basically solo effort in 1975. I would call it acoustic folk blues. I think it is an awesome Lp. Allmusicguide give it 4 1/2 stars and it deserves every one of them. It might be a little difficult to find, but worth the effort. On vinyl it is very well done.

For those not into vinyl, it was also released on CD- Relix RRCD 2027.

I'll start with Brian Eno--Music for Airports. LP, maybe CD.

This is ambient music designed to be almost subliminal. Only once have I heard it in an airport, and it was perfect--very soothing. Designed to be played at any speed you desire, I usually play it as slowly as my TT will allow.

The Black Crowes,All Join Hands,Live @ the Fillmore DVD

This is from the2005 tour,about 19 songs.Thebes will be glad to know it has a great version of"The Night They Drove ol'Dixie Down".Along with many of their great tunes it also has a faithful version of"Space Captain"(one of my favorites from "Mad Dogs and Englishmen".2ch,DD,DTS at $10 a great show,anytime you want.

Fish great to hear this. I bought this for my brothers birthday can't wait to check it out.

Goo Goo Dolls - Let Love In, released April 25

I personally like this cd because it brings back and echos the goo goo dolls of greater years. They are back to their roots and improved upon it.

Songs to hear

Stay With You

Let Love In (how many songs that take the name of the album are actually worth listening? well this one is)

Without You Here (personal favorite)

Become

Also another band to hear is an Indie group (indie is short for independant of big names corporations) that I got to hear due to the Klipsch Website Home page that showcases up and coming bands from Garageband.com (bottom right of the Klipsch homepage). The name of the band is Pinewood Derby. They have two songs, Uncross Your Eyes and

Ivy On Stone. I like Uncross Your Eyes better as it was their first song but the highs on Ivy On Stone sound wonderfully complex on my new RF-83. It sounds a bit harsh on my iPod and Klipsch iFi but somehow it was magic on the RF-83 which is surprising as the predecessor rf-7 happened to make high sound harsh and shrilling. This is not the case.

http://www.garageband.com/artist/pinewood_derby

is the website to download their music. I know it is only available on MP3 but again they are a upcoming band with no cd release. Also it is a legal download

Gillan's Inn, by Ian Gillan of Deep Purple fame, new release- copy of my review from the General Forum thread. (more info there)

Okay, picked it up. Its CD on one side of disc DVD on the other.

THought it was gonna be two discs. Only like $14.99 at Best Buys.

Listened

to a few tracks on the way home, very heavy sound, different leads than

the original versions of Gillan tracks. John McCoy used lots of whammy

bar, don't hear that here. It's kind of neat hearing different versions

of songs I've gotten used to. This is obviously top notch recording

with young band mates. Very vigorous workout. Nice deep bass chugging

along, tons of vocal effects, Ian was always fond of that, long echoes,

predelay, and phaseing.

One of the vid portions is bootleg

stuff, it was all they had I guess, watched Satch (Satriani) doing

Black Night with Purple. I think he just filled in for a few Florida

shows when Morse was first hired and had other Dixie Dregs engagements.

Joe actually looks a bit like Ritchie but plays entirely differently of

course.

Didn't get through all 4 versions of Smoke, but how

different can that song be played, maybe the solos will tell, but I

didn't see that much change from one guitarist to the other, they all

stayed pretty true to the original. This bit was a little

dissapointing.

Overall, for any Gillan fan, I think this puts

a fresh face on some well-loved tracks from the old IGB and Gillan

days, as well as a few Purple faves.

Will watch more DVD and

listen to tracks on main system to see how the 5.1 implementation

worked out. I think it's cool to have 2 ch and 5.1 mixes on the same

disc, I've never heard of this before.

Michael

I'll start with Brian Eno--Music for Airports. LP, maybe CD.

This is ambient music designed to be almost subliminal. Only once have I heard it in an airport, and it was perfect--very soothing. Designed to be played at any speed you desire, I usually play it as slowly as my TT will allow.

I take this with me when I travel- great droning sounds perfect for relaxation. Coupled with headset, I drift off into Eno-Land very peacefully.

Music for Airports was reportedly used at Denver's Stapleton airport for some time, probably in use more than we can imagine.

Also on the Eno catalog, Music for Films, which is a bit more animated.

ddid I win? did I win? did I win? did I win? did I win? id I win?

Mssr Thebes, I see you've discovered that many of us music nuts are on 2-ch and have been posting reviews of discs and concerts there. It would do both threads some good if you would pop in there occasionaly and direct our attention down here. This is where software discussions really belong.

Peace,

Michael

I picked up a near mint LP at one of the the local antique stores the other day, it was The Dillards, Tribute To The American Duck. Not really the kind of tunes I listen to these days but it brought back some fond memories of my youth (the youth prior to the mis-spent one[<:o)]). Some of you old farts may remember the Dillards from several guest spots on the Andy Griffith show back in the 60's. I think they called themselves the Darlins or something like that. Denver Pyle played the dad. So if you're into hillbilly / bluegrass give this one a shot for some old style twang.

Ottorino Respighi; Ancient Airs and Dances, Suites One, Three, Two / Los Angeles Chamber Orch./ Neville Marriner - The EMI Import LP

Classical

The LP which convinced me that European imports could sound better than the domestic variety.

Ive posted her before, I think it was on "Right this Minute" but she deserves a second mention. Great voice and a very good recording to boot.

Keri Noble - Fearless

Guess you could classify it as easy listening, she hasnt really caught on enough to be pop. Its on CD.

post-12909-13819297680046_thumb.jpg

As opposed to Colt and Oldtimer's Eno I have 4 of the new CD remasters of his vocal offerings in "Another Green World", "Before & After Science", "Here Come The Warm Jets" and "Taking Tiger Mountain"

Another bunch of new remasters that have been gettin' a lot of airplay are the first 6 Free releases with tons of alt versions as bonus tracks! Paul is still one of my favorite rock voices of all time[:D]

Newer artist! I can't seem to get enough of Ben Harpers "Diamonds On The Inside" as I find it a spiritual recording[;)]

Los Lobos

EL Cancionero: Mas y Mas

Rock, Folk, Blues, Traditional

This is the review from Amazon;

Amazon.com essential recording
The Los Lobos fan might reasonably ask what--besides length and a wonderful accompanying booklet--Más y Más has over 1993's two-CD Just Another Band from East L.A.. The answer is longwinded: here are album tracks (anywhere from four to eight from each studio album), outtakes, demos, and live cuts, as well as selections from tribute albums, soundtracks, and side projects. Some highlights that weren't on the earlier collection include a 1983 rockabilly sizzler, "We're Gonna Rock," the similarly charged "Rip It Up" (an '87 outtake from La Bamba), Richard Thompson's "Down Where the Drunkards Roll" (from the '94 tribute Beat the Retreat), a live take on the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows" (from a '93 television tribute), "Route 90" (from the pristine Lobos children's collection, Papa's Dream), and a '97 live version of Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On" with Sheryl Crow guesting on vocals. This doesn't even take into account the songs from six soundtracks and a personal fave, "Alone in a Crowd" (from I Only Wrote This Song for You: A Tribute to Johnny Thunders) and a fab take on Doug Sahm's "She's About a Mover" from '96. This and more pushes Más y Más out of the group of multi-CD boxes devoted to defunct artists and into the camp of justly deserved career overviews created while the subjects are still in full flight. --Andrew Bartlett

This collection contains everything the Los Lobos fan could wish for and more than enough to hook those that only know them from La Bamba. The acoustical and folk pieces are a particular favorites of mine. 86 tracks in all, on 4 disks. If you were stranded on a deserted island this is one to have with you. Listen to the song "Saint Behind the Glass" and you will be thinking about it all day.

- Jim

post-17373-13819297680796_thumb.jpg