Edgebanded my La Scalas today......Pics!

jorjen

Well, the project I had planned for today went sideways on me. Ran into some trouble with the tonearm rewire on my vintage Sony PS-8750 TT so I stepped back from that and was bored. So, I decided to finally get around to edgebanding the plywood end grains on my La Scalas.

What I started out with did not look to shabby in the first place I must say...

post-9114-1381929788109_thumb.jpg

I was badly in need of a project fix today and thought I would get it from the tonearm rewire, but that did'nt happen. So, I figured what the Hell, since my CornScala project has hit some momentary budget snags[;)], this little project will do the trick....Now what the Hell do I do?[:(]

Now that's just what the LaScalas need. They look great. I was getting ready to try that out on mine, but I got a hold of a pair of Industrial LaScalas, so I'll be selling the old ones.

Slight hijack here... How do you like that Sony? Pretty cool looking old turntable.

Thanks a bunch for the kudos Dee, Greg and Jacksonbart!

Charlieboy,

Thanks and I hope you are doing well these days.

Edwin,

Could'nt help myself. It IS a sickness you know? [;)]

Larry,

I just bought a couple feet of Cardas tonearm wire in each of the five colors. Don't know if I am going to be able to do it now though. The service manual shows a small screw just behind the headshell locking collar on the underside of the arm(as do most tables with removable headshells). But, mine does not have one so I cannot figure out how to remove the collar/spring pin assembly. No removal, no new wires. [:(]

Mike,

Thanks and yours look great as well.

Scott,

Let me tell you that even for a direct drive table, this thing is a real BADAZZ in every way shape and form. I have never seen attention to detail and overall build quality to equal it. This thing has it all. From an anti-static grid implanted in the dustcover to kill static on the record surface once closed, gel filled platter mat, magnetically monitored Xtal lock speed control circuit that keeps the speed accurate to within 0.003% with drift controlled to 0.0005%, carbon fiber tonearm and headshell, adjustable absorbtion feet for leveling and vibration control, machined aluminum 45 adaptor to a net weight of 32 pounds, it is just a very, very cool TT. The gel mat did finally turn kind of hard making the sound somewhat edgy, hard and cold with a certain degree of loss in musicality. Tossed a new foam mat from Herbie's Audio Lab on it and I am back in business. Thought the 31 year old tonearm wiring could use a cahnge though. Once I get it put back together, maybe I will start a thread with a bunch of pics of the table.

Tom,

Thanks. I do like to miter when possible.

Triceratops,

I just snagged a roll of raw birch, unglued edgebanding from a local cabinet shop. Glued it up and went to work.

Jordan,

Would love to see a thread on your Sony when you're done. I've been messing around with some older models of Sony, the TTS 3000 (belt drive) and TTS 4000 (direct drive) along with their old PUA tonearms and agree that Sony had some tremendous build quality. I'm thinking after I get them dialed in, they might compete very favorably with the old Thorens/SME 3009 combos I've grown so fond of. I'll save that for a good Sony TT thread someday.