Mobilehomeless in Stereophile this month

...oh, do tell...it was his website that convinced me to buy Daddy Dee's Eico HF-81...Bill

Me Too!

I ran across mobile homeless' review on the Eico before I made the connection that he was on the forum. I decided to buy an Eico after that.

I think that few eBayers know that PRISTINE means like new out of the box, flawless, timeless, no sign of age, no chips, no rust, nothing that indicates age condition. Even MINT is misused. Call that buyer and sell him your New Orleans waterfront property NOW!

The recent completed auctions on eBay, with $500, $600, $700, and $1000 (!) bids for HF-81s just goes to show the influence a positive write-up in Stereophile--particularly when linked to Kelly's pages--can have on prices. There are only so many HF-81 amps available any given month; it's not like you can order them new from a dealer. So I guess doubling or tripling of the normal price isn't that surprising when you think about it.

Anyway, if any of you are considering getting rid of yours, SELL NOW while the fever is raging.

Couple of quotes from the review. .

"The HF-81 retrieved detail on a par with my Komuro 212, a
60Wpc SET amp that is a handmade masterpiece and for me, redefines the art of
audio reproduction."

And

"It's if I'd taken a Krell, a Spectral, an Ongaku amp, put
them all that transporter pod in The Fly, flipped a switch, opened the
second pod and PRESTO - The EICO HF-81!"

Expecting the entire review will be on Sterephile's web site soon. Last year, Breuninger really took a liking to the Fisher 500-C.

"That's before any modifications. . Sam Kim has a modified unit for sale at his site for $1350."

But isn't retaining the stock components and passive parts in a HF-81, (as much as feasible) part of keeping the purity of original voicing/tone? Like a bone stock cherry HF-81 that happened to pass the bench test would be worth more than than a unit that had all the caps/resistors/tubes changed out?

You'd think Sam at least would throw in a quad of Mullard El-84 output tubes for that kinda cash.....I guess that's up to the buyer. Egads.

I found a Eico ST-70, they get maybe $200-400 on eBay. Too bad it wasn't a HF-81......

$1000?

I think the market is trying to tell me something. I'm not using it much anyway.

Couldn't hardly ask for a better sales write-up than Kelly's

article. If these magazine types are going to get on the

bandwagon the time is ripe.

Where's my stash of Auricaps I wonder. I have it full of Orange

Drops, they were popular back when I rebuilt it It's a very

nice sounding amp even so.