Klipschorn 1985 Mint on ebay

DrFish96

HI to all-

There is a pair of 1985 Klipschorns on Ebay ( item # 9731814323) that are in birch and mint.

I have a few questions that I know that you guys can answer. Is it normal for them to be shipped as seperates, top and bottom? Are they screwed back on top when you put them together? Do both wires from the top just come down and attach to the crossover? The serial numbers are one off and I am not sure if this will affect the value or not. What do you think?

If I were to bid on these, how high should one go for these? I have other Klipsch speakers but these would be the first ones of this type.

Thanks

Peter

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter:

The factory always shipped them separated. Individuals sometimes do and sometimes not.

The top and bottom are attached just with a couple of wingnuts. It's a breeze to reconnect them. There's only a couple of wires to screw down.

They are a matched pair. Being one off on consecutive serial numbers doesn't matter at all. That could be a matter of bookkeeping. Anyway, you'll never want to sell them once you hear them. But keep the boxes anyway. They cost several hundred dollars from Klipsch.

If you are picking these up yourself (???), figure that's worth at least $500 in shipping expense and stress saved. I'd say $2500 wouldn't be out of line for a top bid. They aren't the most desireable finish of a hardwood veneer, but the super condition makes up for that some. I wouldn't buy them unless you were going to keep the finish as is. Otherwise it'd be easier to get a pair with the finish already on it that you want, or get a beat-up pair and have those finished to taste.

You could stain these, but I wouldn't put a fancy veneer on them, as I said above. A clear coating over them could look really excellent.

Excellent pics, great boxes, here in sunny Fl, I love the light colored woods-

Classic Klipsch corner Klipschorns, though much larger than LaScala or Belles, require two equidistant, solid corners of a room, and yet take up less footprint. They are more even and smooth, over a wider range, than the either Belles or LaScala, and dont fall off until 30Hz. Three dozen eBay sales average $1,944, almost one-hundred more than 2 years ago. The range was from $999 to $3050. Speakerlab clones went for only $660 and an original mono sold for $761. Shipping averaged $575, bringing the total average cost to $2,473. This is less than half the list price of new ones!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Considering the cost of Avant-garde Audios bright large horns, the unobtrusive Khorns are a classic bargain. They do require quality low watt amplification. Many Khorn lovers change much of their front-end equipment, but once they do, they never sell them. The most popular modifications (upgrading the mid and high-end horns and crossovers) are also effective tweaks on the lower, less costly models. [H]

"They are a matched pair. Being one off on consecutive serial numbers doesn't matter at all. That could be a matter of bookkeeping. Anyway, you'll never want to sell them once you hear them. But keep the boxes anyway. They cost several hundred dollars from Klipsch."

Paul the numbers are sequential, remember that the top hats and bass bins each have a set of numbers so there will be 4 S/N's total (8856134 (LF) 8856135 (HF) 8856136 (LF) 8856137 (HF) they are indeed 1988 models and will have the AK-2 networks in them. A matched pair!

Thanks for all the great information. I will be bidding on them at some point. I happen to like birch the best. I have a pair of birch La Scala that will become my surround speakers. They happen to also be 88's.

Because of the La Scala's, I have subs. Is the bass much better with these. I also have a pair of Cornwall's which I dont use right now. I know that the Cornwalls have great bass but I am not sure about the horns.

Thanks

Peter

...do a search on hear for whomever (sorry I don't remember who...) has the pair of Birch Raw K'Horns (like these) that were clear stained or a light honey colored...beautiful...I had to stick with a dark walnut (as the person who originally owned them stained them thus...)...once you get them you won't want to give them up...what EVERYONE said...sweet and good luck...Bill

...do a search on hear for whomever (sorry I don't remember who...) has the pair of Birch Raw K'Horns (like these) that were clear stained or a light honey colored...beautiful...I had to stick with a dark walnut (as the person who originally owned them stained them thus...)...once you get them you won't want to give them up...what EVERYONE said...sweet and good luck...Bill

My 87's are Raw Birch

post-18334-13819298320414_thumb.jpg

On some model years, both the top and bottom have separate (consecutive) serial numbers, so they may not be out of synch (probably are not since if the grain matches, then they are a matching pair). Where do you live? My birch Khorns below with cane grills will likely be put up for sale sometime in the near future.

vn2qfm.jpg