Cornwall vs Cornwall III Listening Comparison

It happened very fast and at the last minute. The Cornwall III beat the I. It was not an ideal test with mono-signals and speakers in the same place. I thought B. B. King's voice sounded 'tinny' and not as clear on the I. You can tell the difference between the two...not as wide a margin as I would have thought.

It happened very fast and at the last minute. The Cornwall III beat the I. It was not an ideal test with mono-signals and speakers in the same place. I thought B. B. King's voice sounded 'tinny' and not as clear on the I. You can tell the difference between the two...not as wide a margin as I would have thought.

What a loss that a nice comparison of these two speakers couldn't be arranged. Likewise a matchup of the LS v LSII or H v HIII. It would have been interesting to hear the comments of a few sets of ears on those comparisons.

Or any listening results really. Haven't read too much about that aspect of the weekend...

M

What a loss that a nice comparison of these two speakers couldn't be arranged. Likewise a matchup of the LS v LSII or H v HIII. It would have been interesting to hear the comments of a few sets of ears on those comparisons.

Or any listening results really. Haven't read too much about that aspect of the weekend...

M

The LS vs LSII is an amazing no-brainer. Its been a long time since I've heard the LaScala but the LSII really, really sounds great. A steal at $5500 [;)]

Here is my opionion. The bass is definetly better in the 3, more natural sounding, less boomey IMO.

The midrange in the 3 is more laid back. I think it is because the they are using the K700 from the Heresy, not the original k600. There is something lost in the smaller midrange horns IMO. I would probably do a C3 bass cabinet and a K400 and make a cornscalla.

I prefer the midrange of the C1 and the bass of the C3.

Like Damon pointed out, the L2 is amazing sounding. I loved it last year and again this year.

JM

Yes, remember, all the veneer has to match on all the speakers and with the rest of the room. It's just like a purse, gloves, and shoes.

Hmm , I don't know Paul , I kinda like having 3 brunettes and 2 blondes in my room . But Ya' know , I'm definitely not mainstream .

Both speakers sounded very good to me, but they are somewhat different. When we would switch from one to another, my first impression was to prefer the other speaker, then within a few seconds I would think the one playing was better.

I'm with JM on this one. The upper base was better on the CW3, but I really like the mids on the CW1 which are a little more forward. The overall edge may go to the CW3, but since the 1's were already mine, I took them back home with me [:D], and I am very happy with them.

I was sorry not to have been part of that comparison - I helped Seadog unload his CW I's, in anticipation of the comparison, but the compariosn apparently occurred when I was doing something else. Personally, when I reconstructed my own Cornwall I's, I added new crossovers, new cabinets, and fired them up. I was NOT impressed - the midrange was gaudy and forward, and after 24 hours of listening my ears could no longer take it. They sit idle now, and will likely be converted to Cornscalas.

On the LAB listening room experience - we had listened to Eagles 'Hotel California" on the Jubilee - blew me away. For sake of comparison (and I realize it was a different venue, so not a 1:1 comparison), we were treated to this disc again on the LaScalas and Corns in the customer listening room.

The LaScalas were very nice in the midrange, but were AWFUL on the bass - I was VERY surprised at how it completely muddied up the midbass - nasty!! For $5500? Nahhh....

On the other hand, the Corn III's dug deeper, and had a much more balanced presentation; less midrange than the LaScala (as expected), but outstanding overall. Having disliked my Corn I's, I was elated at the Corn III, and enjoyed it very much. I would highly recommend it over the I, and for that matter, over the LaScala; better balanced sound for $2K less.

Chris

uh, Gary- what's with the floor?

Still under construction Michael. The new oak that isn't finished is where the old kitchen was, other than the part that was "toothed in" to flow into the existing oak floor. It was linolium and since we doubled the size of the kitchen, we continued the oak into the whole room. I couldn't bear to tear out any hardwoods. New flooring has to be toothed in to look right. My floor guy comes to sand and finish next week.

uh, Gary- what's with the floor?

Still under construction Michael. The new oak that isn't finished is where the old kitchen was, other than the part that was "toothed in" to flow into the existing oak floor. It was linolium and since we doubled the size of the kitchen, we continued the oak into the whole room. I couldn't bear to tear out any hardwoods. New flooring has to be toothed in to look right. My floor guy comes to sand and finish next week.

Glad to read the above. I was thinking the same thing as Colter when I saw the pic. It looked to me like instead of layering the (new construction) across the floor in rows, it seemed as though the'd run straight across the room and were now having to slide the next "column" of boards in. That is SO not how I did mine. Seeing as you're adding new to old, it's kind of cool to see how they do it!

[:)]

After hearing a bunch of stuff over the weekend.....I ended up back a the farmhouse listening to Seadog's CW 1's. These were hook to his tube equipment. They sounded wonderful with some of his music.

Will continue to say the the Cornwall is my favorite speaker. Stiil working on a solid opinion of the Jubilee. It may end up taking the crown.

jc