The pre-weekend open thread

Parrot

I get to spend the 4th of July about a hundred miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico surrounded by deep, cobalt blue waters.[ip] Sounds like a holiday in paradise, doesn't it?.......NOT! I'm on an offshore oil rig with Bubba and his pals. Oh well, I can use the Holiday pay to help fill my truck up when I get home. I wonder when my salary's going to increase as much as gas has?[:(] I guess I shouldn't complain about gas prices, I bought a bottle of water in the airport last week and paid $2.50 for it! What's that, about $21.00 a gallon?[:|]

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 4th Amendment.

Alan,

I am very impressed. The 4th Amendment is one of the lynch pins to this great country of ours and they are trying to erode it more and more every day.

Travis

May as well add to that ...

the Second Amendment 'cause here in New York, they trample on it , every single day

Allan & others,

On the debate on whether the country's Founding Fathers & Mothers were religious:

It seems that none (that I know of) were atheists in the sense we moderns use that word, and those that have been called deist (like Jefferson) certainly occasionally used theist language, at least metaphorically. My hunch is that most were less literalist than most devout churchgoers of the time, but had core mentalities that were pretty religious.

It's interesting how people want to claim the Founders for their own particular religious group. Jefferson has, at various times, been claimed by Unitarians, deists, and "accepted the ministrations of the Episcopal Church," whatever that means, and described himself as a "disciple of the doctrines of Jesus"

(Religions of America -- Leo Rosten).

One characteristic of Jefferson, Adams, Washington, Madison, Franklin, and most of the rest, even the very religious, was that they were very strong believers in separation of Church and State.

Speaking of another kind of Founder, Paul W. Klipsch evidently was a religious man, and left his local Presbyterian Church when he found out that particular local congregation still believed in a form of predestination. I wonder if he walked out over the backs of the pews, as he occasionally did. Probably not. I think he ended up with the Episcopals.

Happy Fourth of July.

While digesting reader's digest

In the back of a dirty book store,

A plastic flag, with gum on the back,

Fell out on the floor.

Well, i picked it up and i ran outside

Slapped on my window shield,

And if i could see old betsy ross

I tell her how good i feel.

Chorus:

But your flag decal won't get you

Into heaven any more.

They're already overcrowded

From your dirty little war.

Now jesus don't like killin'

No matter what the reason's for,

And your flag decal won't get you

Into heaven any more.

Well, i went to the bank this morning

And the cashier he said to me,

"if you join the christmas club

We'll give you ten of them flags for free."

Well, i didn't mess around a bit

I took her up on what he said.

And i stuck them stickers all over my car

And one on my wife's forehead.

Repeat chorus:

Well, i got my window shield so filled

With flags i couldn't see.

So, i ran the car upside a curb

And right into a tree.

By the time they got a doctor down

I was already dead.

And i'll never understand why the man

Standing in the pearly gates said...

But your flag decal won't get you

Into heaven any more.

We're already overcrowded

From your dirty little war.

Now jesus don't like killin'

No matter what the reason's for,

And your flag decal won't get you

Into heaven any more.

BOOOOO!

Congress Votes To Continue Prosecuting State-Authorized Medicinal Cannabis Patients

June 29, 2006 - Washington, DC, USA

163 House Members Vote To End Federal Prosecutions

Washington, DC: State-authorized patients and their caregivers who use or possess medical cannabis will continue to be subject to federal arrest and prosecution, after the House of Representatives rejected a proposed amendment that sought to bar the US Department of Justice (DOJ) from targeting patients who use cannabis medicinally in accordance with the laws of their states.

The House voted 259 to 163 against the bi-partisan measure, sponsored by Reps. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) and Maurice Hinchey (D-NY). The 163 House votes in favor of the patient-protection provision was the highest total ever recorded in a Congressional floor vote to liberalize marijuana laws. Of those who voted in support of the Hinchey/Rohrabacher medical marijuana amendment, 18 were Republicans (a gain of three votes from 2005) and 144 were Democrats (a loss of one vote from last year). The House's only Independent Congressman, Vermont Representative Bernard Sanders, also voted in favor of the amendment.

"For the fourth year in a row, Congress had an opportunity to stop wasting taxpayers' dollars arresting seriously ill patients who possess and use medical cannabis in compliance with state law," NORML Executive Director St Pierre said. "Instead, 259 members of Congress chose to prosecute patients."

Representatives Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) and Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA), along with Reps. Sam Farr (D-CA), Barney Frank (D-MA), Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), Barbara Lee (D-CA), David Obey (D-WI), and Lynn Woolsey (D-CA) spoke in favor of the amendment, while Reps. John Boozeman (R-AR), Steve King (R-IA), Tom Latham (R-IA), John Mica (R-FL), John Peterson (R-PA), and Frank Wolf (R-VA) spoke in opposition to the amendment.

Following the vote, Rep. Hinchey vowed to keep lobbying in favor of the medicinal use of cannabis. "People who are dying and suffering in states where medical marijuana is legal should be able to use the drug under a doctor's supervision to ease their pain without having to worry that the federal government is going to bust down their door and arrest them," he said. "It is immoral to deny people access to medicine that can help relieve their pain and suffering. We will continue our fight in Congress to protect medical marijuana users and doctors in states that allow such use. This is a battle that must be won."

For more information, please contact Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director, at (202) 483-5500. Final vote tallies for the Hinchey/Rohrabacher medical marijuana amendment are available online at: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2006/roll333.xml

My favorite episode of The Flintstones is when Fred dreams that Pebbles and Bam Bam are teenagers and form a rock band. Occasionally, a Flintstone's episode will open with the band's hit song instead of the usual Flintstones theme song.

Anyone else notice this or did I just watch too much TV when I was a kid?