Bookshelf speaker reccommendations

So your desk is in the middle of the room and you'll be facing this wall with the speakers on shelves, right?

RB35's should be just fine at moderate (office) listening levels. Don't get the earlier versions with the ports in the back RB3, RB5- not good for bookshelves.

Personally I have Dahlquist M904's which are 8" 2 way with dome tweeter and port on the opposite corners of my 14 x 14 home office. They are up on milk crates so the tweeters shoot over the desk.

My first choice would be a pair of Klipsch KG1's, they are sealed, made with hardwood veneers and sound fantastic. I have a stunning Walnut Oil pair in my little girl's room and they are amazing for their size.

However, when it comes to mini bookshelf speakers a/d/s is hard to beat for the price vs. performance aspect. If you want really tiny look into the L200C's or L200E's, little bigger L300C's or L300E's, and a little bit bigger the L400E. These are incredible and sound many times their size bigger, the bass is tight and clean, and the a/d/s tweeters are some of the best that I have ever heard from a detail standpoint. A/D/S is now owned by Directed Electronics and the quality is no where near the original stuff so look for the speakers built by the original A/D/S company you will not be sorry.

Good luck with your decision.

There are other speakers than Klipsch??.................JBL are nice, just don't get the Northridge line get Vintage, or if you don't mind a few extra dollars............Totem..........totem are the nicest small(er) speaker I've ever heard..................

I've heard most of Totem's speakers and their bookshelfs are highly acclaimed like their Model 1, Mite, Rainmaker and such. They mostly use the 5 1/2' woofer so their bass extension doesn't go down too deep.

As mentioned the northridge series from jbl aren't that great, stay away and venture into vintage jbl perhaps.

I like the JBL L1. They aren't much to look at but sound very good. I bought a pair for $100 on Craigslist and have them in my bedroom system. The cabinets had some scratches, grills a little worn but sonically excellent.

I like the JBL L1. They aren't much to look at but sound very good. I bought a pair for $100 on Craigslist and have them in my bedroom system. The cabinets had some scratches, grills a little worn but sonically excellent.

I grabbed an old Denon receiver and CD player and a pair of JBL 2800's that I have and set them up. Much better than the Walmart special. At low volumes it actually sounds pretty good, but I would not mind better speakers, especially as I will listen to this 8 hours a day. I bought the JBL's back in 1991 for $200, not exactly great speakers. My choice wa seither these or a pair of Bose 2.1's that I have. The Bose are eventually going in the garage. I have to hide my shame.

I wouldn't mind a $100 pair of bookshelves if they are really good. B&W makes a very nice bookshelf that can be had for about $450 (they were $1200 new a few years ago). Not sure what to do except see what pops up.

The totems aren't exactly cheap, $500 or so for the mites, while the Model 1's will run you $1200 or so and do require a solid stand to support them, $250 a pair minimum, but they do sound wonderful with SS or tubes. The stands do require lead shot to weigh them down, about 20 - 30 lbs worth to make a significant difference.

A sub with them to round off the bass end and you would be set for a good time for a main system for many of our members.

The mites are good value for the money and do sound very nice for what they are.

I have a pair of JBL 2800's that I bought new in 1991 or 2 that I am using for my work office. It actualy sounds very good considering what it is with a 1989 Denon receiver and CD player.

BUT, check out these "bookshelf" speakers that I picked up for my home office. They are designated as JBL's bookshelf speakers becauseof the sideways orientation. Why not?:

post-10861-13819305037408_thumb.jpg

I posted this ealier, and I'm posting it again; In the small speaker field you will not find better than TOTEM's, if I didn't own and like my Klipsch speakers, I would own Totem in a heartbeat...............small, plenty of punch, good looking, but expensive, but unbelievable sound from such a small package...................but, I own Klipsch...........