lynnm

I have had a recently had a bit of a head butting session with one our members regarding the effects of aging upon our appreciation of high end audio and music/entertainment.

I am curious to know what other members believe regarding this issue and to find out how many of our members are 50+

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

In my view audiophiles(lets say all who enjoy music and gear)get more refined with age.

Why

Before the audio bite I had a Sony portable(~$150CAN).

When I started I dreamed about Cerwin Vega speakers and Realistic(Radio Shack electronics, HEY IT NOT FUNNY).I wanted a 15" woofer,6.5" mid and a 1" tweeter.

125dB was the norm to judge quality.One day I got the system. Smile.gif

After I discovered Paradigm(Atom)and Rotel electronics.Then I started to listen to Jazz and other more refined music.Genesis replaced grotesque top40 tunes.

Then still later Dynaudio came along,Celeste to power them and a high-end Denon CD player.This was a good 5-6 years ago.

And now(age 28)Spendor for music,Klipsch was added for HT use.Krell resides at the heart of the music system.

Later...I cannot tell for sure,some more refined low wattage Class A SS or single ended tubes.

Age sure does not work against you(money wise,you can get better and costlier gear,more choices).Plus you know more(experience cannot be overlooked).

In general older audiophiles own better gear(like it or not,as I said IN GENERAL).Older audiophiles do own gear most young can only dream about.

In my case this is very true,and I think most will agree.Look at all the young ProMedia users,most are in kindergarden(bad joke Wink.gif ) and look at Klipsch Horn and large speaker users,in most cases secure money wise and over 30(hey I have to fit in).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I know I've sufferred some hearing loss over the years, due to the volume at which I like my music & due to playing in bands, but I think I can still hear differences in music. I just purchased my Klipsch speakers about a month ago & I'd been looking & listening to various speakers for about a year. I always came back to Klipsch. I always took the same CDs with me to try out the various speakers & could definitely tell the difference not only from one brand to another but also from different models within a brand. With the Klipsch I started out listening to the Synergy speakers. Once I heard the Reference speakers there was no turning back. They are hooked to a Denon 3802.

Theears - Radio Shack, huh? Don't feel bad my first system was by Lafayette (speakers, receiver & turntable - all for @$250) & that was a step up at the time. I just entered the the surround world. The system I replaced consisted of an HK receiver (stereo) & Bose 601 speakers - all bought about 21 years ago. It's a whole new world.

If anything has really changed for me, it is that I now listen to a wider variety of music. Of course now I'll probably never go to a movie theater again - don't need to - I have better sound at home than my local theater. Keep enjoying the music whatever your age.

LEW (51 & willing to admit it)

One good thing about long experience is that you're exposed to much more music over the years. Thus can branch out a bit.

When we're young, the only thing of interest seems to be the current trend and what is new. That may well be a good thing, but it is limiting.

Another phenomenon is that when you get to some age, you really don't care what anyone else thinks of your personal taste in music, or musical gear. This can lead to being an old fogie (very bad) or an old excentric (very good).

If the issue is high frequency hearing, it is pretty much a given that it rolls off with age. But great composers and performers have made great music in that condition. No one is saying that they lost their talent to understand or create music.

Maybe the real accusation is that older listeners can not hear the of the newest gear, musical form, and recordings, by virtue of the effects of age . . . and therefore do not jump on the latest bandwagon. That proves it . . . maybe. But we've seen a lot of hype and fads.

Gil

i am 17... Smile.gif... just a little under 50! Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

"Maybe the real accusation is that older listeners can not hear the of the newest gear, musical form, and recordings, by virtue of the effects of age . . . and therefore do not jump on the latest bandwagon. That proves it . . . maybe. But we've seen a lot of hype and fads."

Very true Gil

And Justin,what do you believe regarding the age issue?

Dont pass fast ones

Wink.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ditto, Gil. No matter what the age of the listener, or how old, new or the type of music - you still need good quality equipment & especially speakers (i.e. Klipsch). This site with it's open discussion & exchange of information was most beneficial to me in my journey to bring my a/v equipment into the 21st century. I still have some equipment to upgrade/add (upgrade dvd player & add cd recorder). I'm always learning something new. Getting there is half the fun.

LEW

my first setup was the Radio Shack Optimus system.. around 600 bucks i think. I don't know how much this opinion will count but i agree. Age does improve your ability to determine HiFI to low/mid (?) Fidelity. Maybeit is not age but experience. I think one this is just the best, Optimus, BOSE, Boston Accustics, Sony, Yamaha, a few others that were mixed, then Klipsch, wherei am now. And now i am looking at the Martin Logan speakers. they are quite intriguing...

So maybe not just the age but the chance to learn and experience different sounds and such.

------------------

-justin

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Another Youngin' Here (I'll be 22 in two weeks),

I think we can learn a lot from our friends who "have walked more miles than us". With age comes experience and knowledge (in many cases) and that knowledge can be passed down. As for the problems w/ HF hearing roll-off due to age-- Isn't that why KLIPSCHES were made?

I can only hope that I am able to see myself mature and live to a ripe old age of 200 (Boy the wonders of today's medicines, genetics, and good ol' modern science).cwm12.gif

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

***Needed VPI HW Series Turntable*** Anybody Sellin'?

This message has been edited by KLIPSCHHOG on 11-20-2001 at 09:20 AM

quote:

Originally posted by lynnm:

I have had a recently had a bit of a head butting session with one our members regarding the effects of aging upon our appreciation of high end audio and music/entertainment.

I am curious to know what other members believe regarding this issue and to find out how many of our members are 50+

I'm 34. I think that aging generally offers the ability to afford higher end audio equipment. Thus, the ability to appreciate it. Not the age itself but the wisdom and financial stability age usually brings. I don't think there's any difference hearing the music at 50+ vs 17. If there is a hearing loss after age 50 then turn it up!

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

HK AVR 510 (reciever - Going back soon!)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 11-19-2001 at 01:51 PM

As Gil points out, the high end starts rolling of with age, whether you listen to loud music or not. I have always been an acoustic musician, so things never were very loud in a performance situation. I think that hi fidelity audio is a little bit of an acquired taste. Like, I thought at some point in the past that Boone's Farm wine was good too, but it would probably make me gag if I tasted it now. Same way with audio. The little Sound Design, that must have had all of three watts output (and not SET output), with little cheesy speakers. Wow! It was good at the time.

Marvel (52)

Don't know how I could be this old, as it seems like yesterday I was listening to PP&M and the Kingston Trio to learn guitar!

Hello all. My name is Tom, and I'm thirty-six years of age. ("Hello, Tom" said by therapy group) Smile.gif

So where does that put me when my 48 year old girlfriend (she don't look it!!) comes home and I still have to turn the system down just to hear her talk to herself?cwm27.gif

I know...whooped!

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

This message has been edited by tblasing on 11-20-2001 at 04:13 PM

Hey, wait a minute.

Just what exactly was the discussion?

It is not impossible that a young person said they like horn loaded speakers and tube amps playing classical music.

An older person said they like direct drivers and transistors playing contemporary.

Either could say the other is all wet.

Gil

i go through phases... one week i am into the dreaded pop, the next rap, R&B, blues, the next rock, Blue grass, the next classical, and now it is opera. totally into opera. it give each one about a month, with a week over lap. i have a very short attention span i guess... LoL!

got any good opera songs? i like stuff form singers like Inva Mula-Tchako. i can never get too many high notes. Smile.gif she sang teh Diva DAnce form teh 5th element if you are wondering who she is. she rocks~!

------------------

-justin

My ears, understandings, appreciation of innovations,

Klipsch and Yamaha has brought a better understanding of new sounds into my home. I have been a jazz follower since 1957 (17 yrs old at the time), and still kicking. Glad I discovered Klipsch and this forum. Thanks to the members who encouraged and critiqued my equipment.

Old and young can learn from each other.

Keep on with the Klipsch.

Huhuru, "Kickin at 61". My Dad Kicks at 94.

This message has been edited by Huhuru on 11-22-2001 at 10:13 AM

As a teen-ager I didn't have much money and therefore bought EICO and Dynakits and University speakers (I had diffusicone 12s w/horn tweeters and one dual voice coil 15" woofer to cover the very low notes for both channels) all in University cabinet kits designed to be used in corners ... many of the tube kits I built sell for considerably more today then they did years ago when I built them. Many of the designs (like the Klipschorn, which I could only dream of then) are still very highly regarded and valued and still around today. Today I still look for bargains but can afford to buy some of the new digital enhancements that make CDs sound much more like LPs! It seems that the only really big enhancement is the elimination of surface noise and of course the addition of computer interfaces and video (although way back there were FM stereo simulcasts w/ TV concerts)! Now, however, I have planes and trains running all around the room rather than just across the front. I don't think my hearing has changed at all but maybe it has; I certainly appreciate things more although there was the thrill of being into something new in the early days of hifi and R&R. Both then and now I listened to Classical, Broadway Musicals, Jazz and R&R.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 11-22-2001 at 06:20 PM

It doesnt matter what age you are, you can buy Klipsch young or old!

Listen to Gil, this man is very intellegent, he can answer most all questions, and also listen to his words of wisdom.

I do wonder if anyone else tried the hotwire though! LOL

Tblasing, im 36 also, 37 in January, thats a coisedence!

Gil, dont worry about the wire thing, its no big deal, im glad to see you all here, and still pop in everyday LOL!

Happy thankgiving guys, and enjoy what you have regardless of age!

Also if you caint afford a sub right away, try a rockford fosgate car sub, its intense!

Regards Jim