Old schools Klipsch man not Doing well

PhilMays

Not to bring anyone down, but, my stepfather is not doing well and suffering from Parkinsons.

I went to see them yesterday as the family from Arkansas and Iowa were in to see him...and it broke my heart.

The man loved k-horns (He's 76) and was an electrical engineer with Western Electric. He was working on a project early in his career for W.E. and they needed some bass response. He used the general idea of a K-horn and developed a cornerhorn design for whatever it was they needed.

about 4 years ago he came to my house to visit and saw my klipsch set-up and "beamed with joy". He told me about the project and said "you know those speakers you used in High Scool" and proceded to tell me the story.

I remember those speaker blew away everyones speakers away! I still have them!

Thanks for the ear!

Phil

Phil I am very sorry to hear that, such a heartbreaking thing to have to watch unfold, just terrible.......My best wishes are with you and your family......Remember every time you listen to those speakers think of him and be patient with him.....it's not easy for him either...sounds like he had a full life....may God Bless Him....sounds like he has.....Hang in there..............

Thanks guys.

My post was a little "frazzled" earlier.

Yea, He made some cornerhorn type speakers that must weigh about 150 pounds each. Each cabinet had a single full range speaker (no horns) and would simply blow away all of my friends speakers.

They have been stored for 26 years now and I am going to get them and redo them somehow as the cabinet is very sound. He also has some tube gear and old TT I am going to use.

Anyway, this man was always larger than life to me. I remember him going on-and-on about Klipsch and the high effiency and low bass response of the corner horns.

Yep, he was an old Arkansas boy who loved electronics

Again, thanks for your thoughts!

Phil

Phil, sorry to hear of your Father's troubles. But you are doing the right thing by visiting and reliving some great old stories. That you are taking time to revamp his old treasured speakers tells volumes of your shared interest in all things bass!

The first time you crank those babies it'll be magic.

Please keep posting, we're a support group not only in terms of our audio interest.

Michael

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear the news about your father.

My mother was diagnosed with Parkinson's 7 years ago, and I have seen it get progressively worse over the years. It is just a horrible disease (as all of them are) and I am still hoping and praying they find a cure for it in her lifetime.

Glad to hear you are ging to bring his Cornerhorn back to life. Keep us posted on it.

Mike

Phil,

Hate to read about your stepdad.

I think the worse thing about getting older is seeing your parents turn into your grandparents.

I am really lucky that both my parents are alive. My Mom is 78 and my Dad is 83. They both are starting to go down hill, but I call them everynight and just love listening to how their day went. It's the small things that mean the most.

I hope you can enjoy the time with your stepdad in a good way. He sounds like a great gentleman who made a positive mark on your life.

Keep us posted.

Danny

Phil,

Sorry to hear about your stepdad. Parkinson's is rugged as heck.

That is a pretty cool thing that you'll get those big old speakers to spiff up and put back in some corners. That he got to visit your place and appreciate your Klipsch setup sounds like some really fine time.