I'm told Klipsch horns sound "harsh"???

JetSnake

How come when I'm on some other audio forum and every time Klipsch speakers are mentioned, there are always a few people that mention how "harsh" the Klipsch horns sound? I have a set of Klipsch KG5.5 and think they sound great but that might be because I don't know much different for my lack of testing other speakers. I'm looking at expanding upon my set and turning it into a 5.1 system. I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with Klipsch products, but after hearing some complaints about how the horns sound harsh, I'm now a little hesitant.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reality is harsh. Many speaker makers try to alter that. Klipsch do a better job than most (maybe than any other for the money) to bring you what was actually recorded. That's when you realize it is the recording or other input that sucks, it's not your speakers.

Not that they are perfect, but put on a well recorded live performance and hear which one makes you feel as if you are "there."

The right equipment is manditory with Khorns. They will show any flaw in your audio chain that you have.

khorns have a much closer to life sound than most of the other high end speakers (and ALL of the low end speakers) so much so that to many they sound "harsh" or "forward" It is a different sound to be sure but for the money, they are some of the most true to life sounding speaker made.

Max (a member of this board) bleongs to a high end audio club and at one meeting, they had a LIVE violinist come in and play for the members. Some of the remarks indicated that the live person sounded too harsh and not "real"[:$] Someone made the remark that it sounded very much like Max's system. He uses Klipsch.[H]

So you can take your pick of speakers out there, for me I choose Klipsch, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Yep I have a few of them as many on this board do![;)]

Klipsch speakers are very accurate, and very sensitive to electronics. Bad electronics show their true colors easily with Klipsch speakers. Also, (and this has been a big source of debate in the 2ch forum) many real world sounds ARE harsh and the horns merely reproduce that accurately. It depends if you want to hear what was recorded or if you want it softened.

A properly tuned room also helps.

Wow, thanks for the quick response. I have yet to find speakers as efficient as Klipsch. I can't help but think that might have something to do with producing the finer details (or flaws) in the audio signal which leads to people thinking they sound more harsh.

I've already contacted Klipsch support on which current product would best go with my KG5.5. The response I got was RC-62 center, RS-52 surround and RW-10d or RW-12d for the sub. I can't help the feeling that I would like to eventually replace the 5.5's with a set a RF-63, and that I should build the system around the RF-63's, but that might be a little on the high side for my budget. I can't wait.

Two ways to look at that Mr Snake.

First, there is a healthy aftermarket for Klipsch stuff, so if you buy something temporary you should be able to sell it on eBay, Audiogon, or http://www.klipschcorner.com/Shop.aspx

On the other hand, speakers last a long time, and you might want to consider replacing your pieces bit-by-bit with the "final" goal.

Lets see, I have heard Cornwalls, Mike Lindsays LS, and my Khorns in PBG house and my black LS and Khorns in my current TH.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The Khorns never sound tipped up, but the LS and Corns did have an upper-mid range bounce (5-9kHz, bad on the A2 Corns), which not only makes them seem live and sparkly, but can also make them sound harsh, particularly with some solid-state equipment, at certain volumes.

Not only are big ole horns extremely efficient, but they also have amazingly low distortion, compared to cone speakers. This means two things could be happening:

One) Your amplifier is working not at its lowest THD, but at low power, where most solid-state amplifiers have high THD causing people to notice a harshness in the sound. Amplifiers are rated at the highest power with the lowest THD. 20-watts at .05% THD, say when actually horns are only using 2-watts, but at 10% THD.

Two) Since the horns contribute so little distortion themselves to the sound, your ears are picking up the amplifier and source distortions better.

EQ and better crossovers both help bring Klipsch into the realm of high-end speakers (and cheap too!)

Colin (& other knowlegable folks),

I appreciate your argument , but is the relative increase in THD typically that large (10% at realistic output levels...). That amount would be worrisome.

Since the THD in SS can be primarily from crossover distortion (classAB) and is a percentage of overall output (hence it is lowest at full output - percent-wise), what about IM distortion. IM is the real devil, is it also typically highest at realistic levels (less that a couple of watts)? I realize my arguments are based on the simplistic notions of SS and ignore newer designs / high bias / negative feedback etc

-Tom

When the dust settles and all opinions are in..........it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or says, or presents as facts..........YOUR EARS........YOUR MONEY.......YOUR OPINION is the only one that counts...........the problem, if it's viewed as a problem, is that Klipsch offers many fine speakers, each with it's own sound, it's own purpose, it's own price range...........Buy what's best for you and your listening area.........sometimes you get too many opinions around here and it becomes confusing............Khorns are the top of the mountain, but might not be best for you, or your listening area.......take your time.....

About the Klipsch harshness

Yes some Klipsch speakers are harsh and crude in the upper registers,but the Heritage and upscale R series using true compression tweeters(RF83,RF7) are not as harsh as they will project the upper registers(any horn is a mechanical sound amplifier and a guide so to speak).This leads many people who are used to rolled off upper range to say Klipsch are harsh.

In the end Klipsch are not the most refined,or even close to.But for the price they are great speakers. I have many Klipsch,Dyanudio and Totem speakers,for HT and live concerts Klipsch is tough to top.For anything acoustic the Dynes make the other two look(sound)bad.As acoustic music is NEVER projected,and thru any horn will never sound natural,as the acoustic energy disperses 360 deg.not fired from a horn like pattern.

Micro rant for the reading pleasure and displeasure of Klipschers...

And most Klipsch speakers are passably accurate,their strong points being dynamics and very high efficiency leading to higher than average SPL capability.Their weaker point is timbral accuracy,as much as some will scream and shout the opposite ,get back to me when you have heard truly neutral studio monitors like the brand I will not mention again. [;)] Plus Klipsch should improve the cabinet integrity on the R series,as cabinet co,orations can clearly be heard during a few passages,again at this price level they are still very very neutral.

Interesting enough. Somehow I think my Forte II's sound best with acoustic music, especially horns such as trumpets and saxophones. So an acoustic horn is not fired from a horn like pattern? Wow, I guess the shapes of horns are so deceiving! As for 360 degrees, somehow acoustic music sounds different when I am in the percussion section of an orchestra than when I am in front, say, in the audience, even in the outdoors where there is far less of the shell effect than in an auditorium.

Not that I disagree with what you are basically saying, with exception noted above.

You have a very horn loaded point here,and one that cannot be argued.Brass instruments will sound better thru horns,as they are horns by nature.Instruments like the guitar,violins and any non horn type will sound better thru a classic non horn loaded design.This if we take as a given both are competent/quality designs on the same level.

Some may try to argue this,there is nothing to argue over here.Just using common sense here.

I forgot a compalete section of instruments. DUH But my point stands for the vast majority of instruments,that are not horns based,not firing at you.[;)]

Klipsch = harsh?

I would ask the people making those claims what models they heard and with what upstream equipment/music.

System synergy is vital. Take a person with "warm" speakers and "bright" equipment to compensate and then drop in a pair of "bright" speakers and of course it's gonna sound like crap. Now compare a klipsch speaker with the right kind of upstream equipment against any other speaker with its right kind of upstream equipment and you'll have a more fair comparison...and being a member on this forum I bet you can guess which setup I prefer [H]