Constant pain, with just a sprinkling of depression:

fini

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fini, what's up man!... Foot trouble? Listen to Allan, I ditched my podietrist (DPM, what a joke) and got a real MD/Orthopedist. My DPM sold me some overp-riced custom made shoe inserts. Didn't solve anything, and made me $300 poorer.

My DPM was good for the little problems, a nagging over-stretched ligament; but this last time the pain was different. I really hurt myself playing soccer. I dealt with the pain for 2 months, before realizing the DPM was getting me no where.

The real doctor put me on Relafin (anti-inflamatory.... or somthin like that) for 30 days and then gave me some stretching exercises, and Wahla,..... the ole foot was cured in less than 2 weeks.

Fini..........Hell man, you'll be fine.....Take today as a break day, alot of people pullin' for ya', not that way,..........You have alot of friends on here....although with some of your answers, I don't know why..........you are lucky in alot of ways........Best Wishes for you Bud, You could be feelin' bad in Buffalo covered by 2 feet of snow..........EH!!!!!!!

I'd be bummed out as well if I was in that much pain. Damm that is alot of work!~!!

In addition to my other job I specialize in home amputations. I'll even do the first one for free just fly me in town. I'd also like to buy that house if Arkansas doesn't turn into a blue state ; )

Ditto what they said "real doctor".

Pain and Depression, I 'd say go with it.

I'm thinking a hair shirt, an occasional scourge and some really gloomy

music i.e funeral dirges, angst poets, Bertold Brecht operas etc.

Then a nice long vacation to say Finland during the dark and rainy

months.

Read the obituary pages and sneak into the rites of passage for the really, really tragic ones.

Once you've reached the proper level, you'll want to add the most important component: guilt.

Now guilt is just such a wonderful negative emotion that I'm relucant

to suggest it since if used improperly in might backfire and actually

cheer you up. BUT, the possiblities are endless in bringing

you to the nuanced depths of The Dark Side.

To my mind anyone employing pain and depression without guilt is simply an amateur, a poseuer if I've spelled that correctly.

Once you reached a certain level you can expand your horizons with such complementary addtions as the bizarre and macabre.

Oh yes, I almost completly forgot sadness, to my mind, one of the most essential emotions.

And yes, can't leave out my own personal favorite,

dis-association. I strongly urge you to spend a day at your local

Department of Motor Vehicles or other beaurocratic establishment as

soon as possible.

My feeling is that you have been in sunny California too long and your persona is far from well-rounded.

To properly recover we must make a complete and whole Fini. A

music-loving, family man and bon-vivant is simply too shallow a

personality to be sustained in it's current form.

In others words what me are aiming for here is a metamorphisis.

Your pal,

Franz Kafka

Hey Fini -- Sorry to hear about your chronic pain. I've been dealing with it for a few years now myself, secondary to spinal arthritis/degenerative lumbar and cervical disc disease and I was recently put on permanent disability because of chronic pain from compressed nerve roots and worsening cervical stuff. I've been taking hydromorphone for about a year and recently started adding fentanyl patches to the mix. I'm also on Effexor for depression and both Marinol and Lyrica as adjunctive pain medication for neuropathy. Medical Marijuana can also help, although I don't know if that's my San Francisco bias...

It sounds like you've been dealing with the pain for awhile if you took a class 7-months ago to help get a grip on it...Best of luck to you and also kudos for taking the class. My experience has been that the chronic pain stuff just keeps unfolding and I find that I have to simply keep focused on managing my pain and not beat myself up for being unable to "power" through it without medication. I think that not being able to "power" through and complete various projects according to my timeline has been the worse part...nothing stops you in your tracks like chronic pain...its' like hitting a wall. The other rough issue was realizing that I had to take narcotics daily to control my pain and view them as daily medications, like a blood pressure pill or insulin rather then viewing them as crutches...

I find its' good to remind myself that even though pain is stopping me in my tracks, its' better then having cancer or cardiovascular disease like a lot of my peers are developing...its' a good trick to keep zenning forward...

Anyhow, best of luck and feel free to ventilate about it anytime....Hop

snip I'm also on Effexor for depression and both Marinol and Lyrica as adjunctive pain medication for neuropathy. Medical Marijuana can also help, although I don't know if that's my San Francisco bias...

snip

I didn't know Marinol was used for pain. As far as I know it is only indicated for anorexia associated with weight loss and nausea/vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy. The drug contains Delta-9-THC which is one of the components of marijuana.

"I didn't know Marinol was used for pain. As far as I know it is only indicated for anorexia associated with weight loss and nausea/vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy. The drug contains Delta-9-THC which is one of the components of marijuana."

Dronabinol is artificial THC, its' true! In clinical practice, it can work synergistically with opiates to potentiate both of them...can also help with opiate-related nausea which I get from fentanyl. Curiosity is that it makes some folks naseous while helping others like me....I always think its a question of whether you ever smoked pot or not and how you reacted to it.

I'm thinking a hair shirt, an occasional scourge and some really gloomy music i.e funeral dirges, angst poets, Bertold Brecht operas etc. Then a nice long vacation to say Finland during the dark and rainy months.

Read the obituary pages and sneak into the rites of passage for the really, really tragic ones.

Once you've reached the proper level, you'll want to add the most important component: guilt.

Now guilt is just such a wonderful negative emotion that I'm relucant to suggest it since if used improperly in might backfire and actually cheer you up. BUT, the possiblities are endless in bringing you to the nuanced depths of The Dark Side.

To my mind anyone employing pain and depression without guilt is simply an amateur, a poseuer if I've spelled that correctly.

Once you reached a certain level you can expand your horizons with such complementary addtions as the bizarre and macabre.

Oh yes, I almost completly forgot sadness, to my mind, one of the most essential emotions.

And yes, can't leave out my own personal favorite, dis-association. I strongly urge you to spend a day at your local Department of Motor Vehicles or other beaurocratic establishment as soon as possible.

My feeling is that you have been in sunny California too long and your persona is far from well-rounded.

To properly recover we must make a complete and whole Fini. A music-loving, family man and bon-vivant is simply too shallow a personality to be sustained in it's current form.

Your pal,

Franz Kafka

LMAO! [:D]

Fini, I hope you feel better man! I know all about pain as I have had RA for 14 years now, and there have been times where I just wanted to die it was so painful. For 11 years I was on so many different drugs, cortisone shots, knee drainings (try that sometime) that it made my head spin.

Then about 3 years ago I tried Humira (shot taken bi-weekly), and it has changed my world. I take it with 7.5mg of Methotrexate (weekly) and has kept my RA under control. I can play golf and do physical things. My mind has cleared up and I'm not so negative about everything. It has truly been a life-saver!

So don't give up, buddy! There is still hope... you just gotta find what works for you!

Mike

I'm thinking a hair shirt, an occasional scourge and some really gloomy music i.e funeral dirges, angst poets, Bertold Brecht operas etc. Then a nice long vacation to say Finland during the dark and rainy months.

Now guilt is just such a wonderful negative emotion that I'm relucant to suggest it since if used improperly in might backfire and actually cheer you up. BUT, the possiblities are endless in bringing you to the nuanced depths of The Dark Side.

And yes, can't leave out my own personal favorite, dis-association. I strongly urge you to spend a day at your local Department of Motor Vehicles or other beaurocratic establishment as soon as possible.

To properly recover we must make a complete and whole Fini. A music-loving, family man and bon-vivant is simply too shallow a personality to be sustained in it's current form.

Your pal,

Franz Kafka

Thebes - I think you have to be Jewish for this approach to work really well (although I understand some catholics can make it to the 5th level of intrinsic misery).

I recall a book from years ago called "How to be a Jewish Mother".

It was full of useful titbits for inflicting guilt, for example:

Practice pained expressions in the mirror. If you get caught doing this just say, "Oh, its nothing, it will soon pass."

It is still my mother's favorite bedtime read. The only known defence against it is grandchildren.

• Moderators

It's just really hard to keep the stuff lit, keeps going out ?

that one took a sec and some lookup, I realized it was for a couple posts earlier. ROTFLMAO very nice dtel! I dig that dry wit of yours.

Just trying to help I know Mr Fini is feeling bad and not up to his normal self.

Had a chance to meet Mr Fini and family in Hope, You will not meet nicer people !