Horatio

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Roy,

Yes....I recall a plot posted that showed the Jubilee Freq resp curve.

On another note I would like to thank you for posting PWK's design and product strategy concerning the Jubilee. It means a lot to me to hear this type of information. Often times we speculate and get off on tangents as to what the Jubilee was originally supposed to be and where it would fit in the product line.

PWK certainly wasn't fooling around making a home speaker like that.....one that had such capabilities that it was able to be used in a theater as well.

I'm sure you really enjoyed working with PWK.

Thanks

at least you don't have to use your real name....like other Klipsch employees! [:D]

oh, VERY good stuff above! and I so dig that Roy is now quoting Doc. Can't wait to hang wit youse guys at P7!

M- soon to have a Batman logo of his very own.

i haven't said it yet but...................

CONGRATS FELLOW KLIPSCH EMPLOYEE!!

rule number one: trey sucks.....

rule number two: roy doesn't no matter what trey says......

everytime i quote doc, he pays me money.....[:D]

ooo, that sounds good! Thanks Roy and thank you for the encouragement just when I needed it.

And Trey is one of my bestest buddies in the whole wide world. Don't make me put the gloves on you two!

Roy, I plan on seeing you in Indy this summer for Pilgrimage- right?

Michael

Roy, I would take a four or so depending on the price. Did you mess with those tweets yet? Bob Crites

on the tweets........no not yet but please don't take them away from me until i test them.....you would not believe all the things to do and i just have not found any time to test them....so i am begging for more time.

as to woofs, will let you know.

bluerberry roy

or as i am "affectionately" known as on the lala forum (bs forum)

boy

rule number one: roy sucks.....

rule number two: trey doesn't no matter what roy says......

everytime i quote doc, he pays me money.....[:D]

So does that mean you get to pay me money everytime I quote you too?

Btw, picking on poor college kids isn't very nice! [:P][:P][;)]

picking on you; heck i'm betting on you....just call it an "investment".....

boy

Roy, I would take a four or so depending on the price. Did you mess with those tweets yet? Bob Crites

on the tweets........no not yet but please don't take them away from me until i test them.....you would not believe all the things to do and i just have not found any time to test them....so i am begging for more time.

as to woofs, will let you know.

bluerberry roy

or as i am "affectionately" known as on the lala forum

boy

Roy,

Take all the time you need with the tweets. No rush at all.

Bob Crites

• Moderators

I'm sure envious of you Roy, for having a chance to work with PWK all those years

dukesy[:$], seti, mark1101.

it was an honor to work for pwk........

boy

How was it to work with him day to day, did he have the patience to explain when someone didn't understand what he was saying or doing or did it aggravate him ?

Just asking because most people here did not have a chance to meet him.

It will probably never happen but it would be great if the people who really knew him and worked with him would write a book even if short, reading the other book now. thanks

I'm sure envious of you Roy, for having a chance to work with PWK all those years

dukesy[:$], seti, mark1101.

it was an honor to work for pwk........

boy

How was it to work with him day to day, did he have the patience to explain when someone didn't understand what he was saying or doing or did it aggravate him ?

Just asking because most people here did not have a chance to meet him.

It will probably never happen but it would be great if the people who really knew him and worked with him would write a book even if short, reading the other book now. thanks

paul had a great sign on his desk that read "don't bother me with the facts, i got my mind made up!". that is because he said that he used to be like that. he had made up his mind about things and when facts showed up to contradict that, he would ignore them because they didn't fit with his decision. he then decided that he should quit that and that is why he had that sign on his desk. i would often wondered if he meant it, but when he decided that tractrix was a better start to a horn (after he read john post's thesis and saw the data i had collected) i was impressed and surprised, i mean in his nineties and still open to ideas.

as to whether he would become frustrated with people, i would say tht he most times became frustrated with himself; because he had to bring down a notch to converse with people about audio. and when he trouble doing that, he would get mad at himself. in fact, one of my favorites sayings describing paul is " talking to paul about audio is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." sometimes i would go into his office to ask a question knowing that it should be a ten minute answer but i would make sure that i had an hour open cause he would talk and talk......

i sure miss those days, no one really to bounce ideas off and more importantly not hear him talk about how he viewed life....[:(]

Man Roy, you do have something up your sleeve.

That would be one way to mold the jub into the Heritage line.

That K402 is a wonderful sounding horn but a slimline top section would make the jub system more accepting to the WAF. My wife Wendy is all about big speakers but she freaked out with the sight of the K402 when I showed her a picture after the Hope trip.

jc

I'm telling ya though... if MY wife can come to grips with them, then ANY wife can. They'll grow on her over time.

Marion is ALL about the asthetics and NOTHING to do with function. Compound that with her innate disdain for any speaker bigger than a bose cube and you can get a flavor of what I was up against. (and I'm serious about the 'any bigger than a bose cube' comment)

She was almost in tears when she first saw them 'for real'. She HAD seen pictures of them so had a clue as to their size. She also had the Khorns in the room so she was aware when I hemmed & hawed a bit describing them as "maybe a touch bigger than these", that I was being polite (hiding something [6])

Today, with the right music playing, she'll grab one of the dogs and start dancing with them cause is sounds so darn good.

[:D]

how about a khorn hf section on top of a jub lf?

I don't like the idea.

Just a suggestion, but it might be better generate a few thousand of the composite version of the horn you and PK designed together -- and finish her in the way you guys originally intended. Sell two versions: prettied up and raw birch with the horn just mounted on top with brackets. I would probably make the leap if that horn was thrown into the mix -- I think others might feel the same.

You guys should split the Heritage line and sell two versions of the Klipschorn and LaScala: One with the current/original top section and another with a tractrix horn and better tweeter: "Classic Heritage" and some other name for the updated ones.

post-3205-13819314366198_thumb.jpg

Just a suggestion, but it might be better generate a few thousand of the composite version of the horn you and PK designed together -- and finish her in the way you guys originally intended. Sell two versions: prettied up and raw birch with the horn just mounted on top with brackets. I would probably make the leap if that horn was thrown into the mix -- I think others might feel the same.

I politely don't agree. You're suggesting people would buy the prettier version of the Jubilee, with the fancier horn (and higher price tag?)??

Currently, you can get the setup for say, 7K. Making it more pretty is gonna cost a couple dollars. Put that other horn on, might cost a couple more dollars (was wood, wasn't it?). My understanding is the MSRP of the 'pretty version' was 15K? Heck, let's presume it's 10K.

So, with everyone already balking at the current price of 7K, you think they'd sell more at a higher price and all the gain you get is asthetics and perhaps a prettier hf horn? (would it even be as capable from a technical viewpoint as the K-402?)

Why not buy them now, as is (unfinsihed which I think they'd do), finish it as YOU want and maybe get ahold of that Martinelli guy to make a horn for you. Perhaps you could even buy a sheet of FANCY plywood to supply them and they'd use your supplied plywood instead of their standard for the front face? Imagine Rosewood Jubilees... hmmm....

With all the folks here buying Khorns on the used market, it's no wonder that they're not forking out for new Jubilees at the current price point. Jacking the price point up is only going to make it LESS likely anyone buys a pair (IMHO).

Hopefully I'm wrong but that's my gut feeling on it.

Fix your stereo. That looks terrible. ;)

Yeah it does -- and even all cleaned up it doesn't look much better. In May it gets all torn down and the room gets a facelift. Time between now and then will be spent checking out all of the different room treatment products. The Klipschorns may go up for sale -- something I've come really close to doing a half dozen times in the last month.

I don't like the idea.

well we won't do it then! [:P]

it was just a suggestion. i don't think you realized the gains in the jub lf over the khorn and the khorn is mighty lf horn in and of itself but the jub is a step up.

if you think $6000 to $7000 was high man you wouldn't like this price and for a smaller horn. on our horns, the bigger they get, they better they work. i still think for ultimate, it is what miketn and coyotee-o have, a 402 and jub with electronic crossovers with of couse, delay.

and just for doc, we will have to see about that horn sub.................[:#]

You guys should split the Heritage line and sell two versions of the Klipschorn and LaScala: One with the current/original top section and another with a tractrix horn and better tweeter: "Classic Heritage" and some other name for the updated ones.

if it was only up to me, we would be there, dude.......................

boy

I politely don't agree. You're suggesting people would buy the prettier version of the Jubilee, with the fancier horn (and higher price tag)? So, with everyone already balking at the current price of 7K, you think they'd sell more at a higher price and all the gain you get is asthetics and perhaps a prettier hf horn? (would it even be as capable from a technical viewpoint as the K-402?)

There were two versions of the horn, one made out of wood and another that was made similar to how the K-401 is made. The Jubilee at PK's house has the composite version of that horn. Read my post -- what I suggested was to complete the speaker using the horn originally designed and intended for the home version and then offer the speaker two ways -- finished and unfinished, just like they used to do with the Klipschorn and LaScala. As far as a finished version goes -- If there are people willing to pay $7.5K for a pair of finished Klipschorns (of which I am one), then there are people who will pay $12K for a pair of finished Jubilees. In the world of high end audio, $12K is a pittance.

Why not buy them now, as is (unfinsihed which I think they'd do), finish it as YOU want and maybe get a hold of that Martinelli guy to make a horn for you.

There is no shortage of good horns, in fact -- I would have no problem running what I am right now with them. Look at the limitations my room imposes -- how am I going to run K-402's? The Jubilee still needs some corner reinforcement, and I can't get that with those big horns sitting on top (because of the slanted ceilings). Trey and me used to joke that how you know a speaker is too big for a room is when you can't get it through the door -- I think I might be there.

I don't like the idea.

well we won't do it then!  [:P]

it was just a suggestion.  i don't think you realized the gains in the jub lf over the khorn and the khorn is mighty lf horn in and of itself but the jub is a step up.

Just a suggestion, but it might be better generate a few thousand of the composite version of the horn you and PK designed together -- and finish her in the way you guys originally intended. Sell two versions: prettied up and raw birch with the horn just mounted on top with brackets. I would probably make the leap if that horn was thrown into the mix -- I think others might feel the same.

if you think $6000 to $7000 was high man you wouldn't like this price and for a smaller horn.  on our horns, the bigger they get, they better they work.  i still think for ultimate, it is what miketn and coyotee-o have, a 402 and jub with electronic crossovers with of couse, delay. 

and just for doc, we will have to see about that horn sub.................[:#]

You guys should split the Heritage line and sell two versions of the Klipschorn and LaScala: One with the current/original top section and another with a tractrix horn and better tweeter: "Classic Heritage" and some other name for the updated ones.

if it was only up to me, we would be there, dude.......................

boy

Sounds like a Coup De Ta is in order! Overthrow the bean counters and let the engineers make the decisions and sell the products they love. Seriously though perhaps enough people will buy the Jubilees in this manner that the bean counters won't be able to ignore the fact that they should offer a consumer version of the jubilee at some point. I realized after hearing Mark Kaufman talk that we are lucky to even have the Heritage line with us today but it looks like Heritage is back and getting very favorable reviews. They discontinued the Belle so there is room for another PWK fully horn loaded speaker in the line up. When I am able to order Jubilee Bass Bins they will be raw from the factory and my brother will veneer them in lacewood or bubinga for me and attach a nice grill across the mouth of the horns. Did I mention I love fully horn loaded speakers! The Belles are playing some great african high life jazz this morning : )