La Scala II Stereophile Review

mikebse2a3

Wow, a lot of coverage in that magazine of things/people associated with this forum. Kelly Holsten was mentioned in the Eico HF-81 article, Mark's BBX got a great review, and now this! Plus, Picky gets a great write-up in Home Theater magazine! What's next? I will be featured in a Psychology Today article about hoarding non-functioning tube equipment...

Subscribers are getting theirs now, I don't know about newsstands. I thought the review was just pretty good, as Tellig wandered over a lot of old territory on PWK's life while getting to the point. I was never quite sure what all the positives were, as he kept busy slaying decades-old dragons about horn sound and prattling on about the dynamics. Toward the end, he said he added a super-tweeter, the Visaton TL 16H from Germany, to get the sparkle he was missing. This altering of a manufacturer's product in a test seemed to be out of the ordinary and didn't set that well with me.

He ended up on a positive note, saying that he was keeping his La Scalas (Visaton and all?).

lc

My take on it is an extremely positive review. It concenrates on the things that the speaker does best....reproducing music in a realistic, dynamic and enjoyable manner and, doing so while being driven with sensibly powered quality amplification and "front end".

I enjoyed my La Scalas when I had them and certainly enjoy my Klipschorns now.

Great review and one that will definitely open some eyes (and hopefully) some ears as to what the Klipsch "Heritage" line is all about....enjoyable and lifelike music reproduction. Too bad it has taken so long.

... What's next? I will be featured in a Psychology Today article about hoarding non-functioning tube equipment...

Are you talking about audio equipment here? [:^)] [;)]

BTW, I also really like the La Scala II's. I can only imagine how GREAT that indyklipschfan's system sounds. [:o] I look forward to reading the review.

I'd be hard pressed to think of an audio reviewer whose opinion I care less about. Over the years Tellig has been a complete an utter $#!+@$$ at Audio Asylum. As a matter of fact, he was so out of line that the management had to confirm his identity with him because many people thought it had to be an impostor.

I'd be hard pressed to think of an audio reviewer

whose opinion I care less about. Over the years Tellig has been a

complete an utter $#!+@$$ at

Audio Asylum. As a matter of fact, he was so out of line that the

management had to confirm his identity with him because many people

thought it had to be an impostor.

He is a Fruit Loop. All the French equipment he reviews makes him seem

like he is trolling for wine laden junkets. ANd then the Muscial

FIdelity obsession is strange as well. Too bad someone else did not

revie the speaker.

Hey Guys

This is a little off-topic, but you can save some money on your subscription by purchasing it through one of the vendors on ebay. I was able to get a three year subscription for about $15 bucks total. The best renewal rate Stereophile would give was about $12 a year. Just did a search for "Stereophile subscription" and a couple different vendors came up. Haven't had any trouble with the subscription either - just like clockwork.

No affiliation with any of those sellers.

Good luck and hope it saves someone some money.

Kevin

Why subscribe when Borders bookstores has chairs in the magazine section. So if I see something of interest just sit down and read it, but I am courteous and put them back in the right spot.

What did Jeffery Dalhmer say to Lorna Bobbit? You gonna eat that?

Man, I wish they had the same policy regarding scones. Eat half, put it back...

I thought it was a very good review indeed, far better that I expected from Stereophile.

Evidently Sam just listened ... can't fault that ... but I would have liked to have seen them run some frequency response tests, because I suspect that the La Scala II is as smooth (above about 60 Hz) as many of the Golden Ears' favorite speakers that they do measure and praise. At least he said the "midrange and treble are exceptionally smooth."

I love that he pointed out that most other speakers sound reined-in and constrained compared to the La Scala II, and I love that he decided to buy them!

I double love that he said they were warm, generous and dynamic --- twice! The first time was in regard to the (presumably) La Scala I system he heard at Signor Motterle's hilltop villa, and then he confirmed that the La Scala IIs he reviewed were also warm, generous and dynamic.

I triple love that Dennis Had, of Cary Audio (who heard Sam's La Scala IIs) hit the nail on the head: "These speakers are fun to listen to."

There is an article at the beginning of that particular issue of Stereophile (under "As We See It") that talks about the impression of the sound of the component as a whole being more important than any one measurement or set of measurements. That's obvious, but important. It is an old gestalt principle that the whole is sometimes perceived differently that the sum of the individual properties would suggest. I think this is the case with the La Scala (both models) and the Klipschorn. They sound "live" and real in a way few other speakers can.

About 18 years ago (???) J. Gordon Holt, then the editor of Stereophile, wrote something to the effect that musicians told him that Klipschorns "trigger their musical gestalt" better than other speakers. How true, for Khorns and La Scalas, too.

"I triple love that Dennis Had, of Cary Audio (who heard Sam's La Scala IIs) hit the nail on the head: 'These speakers are fun to listen to."

Not only that but " When Dennis Had heard this combo (LSII and Cary 845 SET) at my place, he decided he had to have his own pair of Klipsch LaScala IIs."

When a man who favors the likes of Triangle and Focal that cost many times the price and a man who designs and builds top quality audio gear are so impressed by Klipsch as to buy them, it is a great review!

Imagine if they had listened to Klipschorns!!!

Congradulations Klipsch and thank you.

Rick