Listened to RF-83s last night

wuzzzer

After picking up my SVS sub I decided to swing by Ultimate Electroncs in Maple Grove, MN to check out the new Reference line. I asked to see the RF-83s and the salesperson brought me in back where their big screen room was and they had a pair that were set up by a pretty huge LCD tv.

The guy apologized that they were being powered by a Sony ES receiver, he said that its definitely not a good match with Klipsch. They had a RC-64 set up but I told him I didn't want to hear it, just the RF-83s.

He came back with a CD of Ray Charles and we listened for a bit. Man is the midrange smooooth on them! The imaging was incredible too. They definitely seemed more reserved than my RF-7s. The guy said that they just got them in and that they haven't been broken in yet. I told him that they sounded different with the smaller tweeter and he said that the RF-83s have the 1.75" 'reference tweeter.' (They don't, do they? I thought it was a 1.25" tweeter now?)

He told me that his grandpa has a pair of Klipschorns from 1980 that sound almost identical to the RF-83s.

They really sounded good and I can think of a lot of people who would pick the RF-83s over RF-7s. I just don't happen to be one of them. [:)]

I was able to audition the RF-83 at StarPower in Dallas with my Talking Heads Dual-disk (they didn't have the DVD-A capabilities set up) in the DD format. The salesman, Roderick was nice enough to allow me to play it but unfortunately they didn't have the RT-12d setup. He said they had it in the back but wouldn't have it set up for a few weeks. [:|]

I won't go as far as to say (or think) alot of people would choose the RF-83 over the RF-7, but they are a nice sounding speaker along with the RC-64. My sonic memory isn't very good and I would like to hear them A/B'd in my HT to contrast and compare the differences.

I enjoy and appreciate reading other people's reviews. [8]

{edit: BTW, The RF-83 does use the 1.25" compression driver}

RF83's are smoother,more easy7 to listen to than the RF7's,with RF7's you should upgrade your crossover if you want to really hear them.This if you are using a quality power amp. [:D]

I prefer my RF7's with the upgraded crossovers to RF83's,but out of the box with no mods the RF83's best the RF7's with most amps(solid state).Klipsch wanted a more laid back speakers when designing the new R series.

A good move as most(at least a good portion of) people will be using solid state amps in thier receivers.And these can at times tear your ears when paired with very unforgiving RF7's.

After picking up my SVS sub I decided to swing by Ultimate Electroncs in Maple Grove, MN to check out the new Reference line. I asked to see the RF-83s and the salesperson brought me in back where their big screen room was and they had a pair that were set up by a pretty huge LCD tv.

The guy apologized that they were being powered by a Sony ES receiver, he said that its definitely not a good match with Klipsch. They had a RC-64 set up but I told him I didn't want to hear it, just the RF-83s.

He came back with a CD of Ray Charles and we listened for a bit. Man is the midrange smooooth on them! The imaging was incredible too. They definitely seemed more reserved than my RF-7s. The guy said that they just got them in and that they haven't been broken in yet. I told him that they sounded different with the smaller tweeter and he said that the RF-83s have the 1.75" 'reference tweeter.' (They don't, do they? I thought it was a 1.25" tweeter now?)

He told me that his grandpa has a pair of Klipschorns from 1980 that sound almost identical to the RF-83s.

They really sounded good and I can think of a lot of people who would pick the RF-83s over RF-7s. I just don't happen to be one of them. [:)]

about what i thought with te midrange v. the rf-7. I dunno about the 83 sounding like the klipschorns

• 2 months later...

I own the RF7 series and wanted to listen to the new speakers. I called around and finally found a dealer (when they first came out) that had them in stock 37 miles from my house. I made an appointment and went with CD's in hand to listen to the new speaker system. It was a terrible experience. If I had auditioned my RF7 system at this store, I would have probably not bought them.

The acoustics of the listening room were terrible. Square dimensions with metal studs and no insulation in the walls, drop ceiling that buckled and creeked with every bass note, and very poor speaker placement overall. I walked out, It was too much to bare.

The point is, I believe that unless you audition them in the exact same room with the same equipment, it really is hard to make any real judment on the two systems sound similarities or differences.

Ultimate Electronics in Woodbury, MN is where I purchased my 7's about a year ago. They are a BAD place to do any "serious" demo's at. They are set up like a chain store retailing, run consumer shot electronics into them, and the 7's are finiky about what you put into them. Ultimates demo rooms are set up for ht addicts, and many of their upper end brands are set up as such, but from a 2 channel listening perspective, forget it.

I ran the RF 3's, knew what they were capable of, so gambled on the 7's and now, it will take a whole lot of $$ to oust them from my 2 channel set up.

Maybe its just me, but ht doesn't require alot of sonic purity, so the 7's do this well with "any" 5.1 - 7.1 reciever, or pre-pro. But as has been mentioned in numerous posts, you want incredible 2 channel from them, put good sources ahead of them and its Katie bar the door....................................

Hi all, If these electronic stores were smart, which of course most are not imo, they would use some top notch DVD audio or SACD even DTS audio discs to demo the RF83's. They are simply exquisite to hear when getting this kind of feed and I only have a Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver, can't hardly wait to get an Anthem MCA50 down the road. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the RF7 but I absolutely adore my 83's.

Klipsh, hear the sonic bliss[li]

"The guy apologized that they were being powered by a Sony ES receiver, he said that its definitely not a good match with Klipsch."

Now I want to be careful here ..BUT... Why do we always say this, or preach this? I think the goal of the 83's were to sound more fuller.. better up and down the scale.. with any amp. (Then again, what do I know the goal of anything at Klipsch? Other than what I read in the literature! hahahahaha) It is true with Klipsch, you put better electronics in front of them, they tend to "sing" better, but that is true with almost any speaker. We do know that this is even more so true in the Heritage lineup. I say this because MANY people are happy with Sony, Yamaha, U name it on here too.

The Ref 7's were in your face, BIG Klipsch sound, brought back to life. (They did need a bigger amp to really get em cranking. But some of you on this board also think you "must" exchange the cross over right off, which I always believe you might wanna live with em for a while to hear and see.) We have to be careful we do not fall into upgrade "itus" or My system sucks because I have _______ < fill in the blank amp/ or pre amp. Yes, if it is crap.... but seriously now, too. So much of this is judge mental. If there was a "perfect fit" and only one "perfect fit" for this speaker line, then it would make sense for Klipsch to work out a deal with that amp / pre amp company too. The truth is this, there are "flavors" to everything in the signal path. Do some sound better than others? Yes... but does personal choice come in here too.. Yes, it does.

B&W makes some great speakers... They sound, look and the cost is impressive too. To me... again just my opinion, I just find them a little flat and lifeless. That is clearly my opinion. Someone liking a orchestra or string ensemble might LOVE them for this reason. I would challenge a Cello on Heritage or Ref series he would be happy beyond his wildest dreams... But he might still love his B&W's too.

It is what makes the world go round. My "Flavor" and thoughts... LOL.

For what it is worth, I listened to the RF 7's and the new 83's at a store here locally. I felt the lowest notes to the highest ones are perhaps in better balance with the new 83's as well. (especially at lower to mid volumes) They seemed more laid back not as much in your face as the RF 7's. The RF 7's had a bigger midrange sound for me. Esp at louder levels. They really came to life. Again, I am not so sure you lose with either pair? Klipsch has done a great job, again, expanding the line IMO.

For what it is worth, I listened to the RF 7's and the new 83's at a store here locally. I felt the lowest notes to the highest ones are perhaps in better balance with the new 83's as well. (especially at lower to mid volumes) They seemed more laid back not as much in your face as the RF 7's. The RF 7's had a bigger midrange sound for me. Esp at louder levels. They really came to life. Again, I am not so sure you lose with either pair? Klipsch has done a great job, again, expanding the line IMO.

what you experienced is 180 what most others people said. Again its all about personal preference. Most people thought that midrange is back in the rf-83 and the rf-7 tended to have highs and more pronounced lows then the rf-83. I liked both of them though I own the rf-83.

I owned a new set of RF7s for a few months.  I agree that they were all about the highs and lows, at least to my ear.  At high volume, with a very powerful amp, they screamed at me... and I didn't like it.  I traded them back in to my dealer with an additional $2 large and picked up a new set of LaScalas and a Hsu sub.  Wow!  I couldn't be more happy.  I haven't heard the 83s, but from what I've read and can envision, I'll bet they're fabulous sounding towers.

Roger, I thought (and reported here elsewhere), that I thought the engineers has done an admirable job of smoothing out the midrange in the RF83. On that night when we listened side by side with RF7, I felt that the 7 either went deeper in the bass or the 83 had a more 'up front' (but not in your face) upper bass and mid section. Without test equipment it was impossible to note which system had the smoother frequency response.

Whichever is 'best' I leave in the ears of the listener, much like my LS/CW listening. Depends on your room, musical styles, loudness, ears, etc.

It might be that the 7 is more exciting for Rock and the 83 more well balance for Jazz etc? Give em a listen and take some home!

• Moderators

Whichever is 'best' I leave in the ears of the listener, much like my LS/CW listening. Depends on your room, musical styles, loudness, ears, etc.

It might be that the 7 is more exciting for Rock and the 83 more well balance for Jazz etc? Give em a listen and take some home!

I know we are generally speaking of "newer" speakers, but Colter you shouldn't you have said "my LS/CW/Forte II listening"?[;)]