Dr. John T. Post's Thesis on Tractrix Horns

WMcD

Attached is Dr. Post's thesis on tractix horns.

This was provided to me by Mr. Lee Clinton more than a month ago. I was so focused on reading it that I misread his request to post it.

The work is long and very complicated. The first part of it is about solving differential equations. Still, I believe any fans of tractrix horns should give a try at reading the results shown in the latter part of the article.

Sorry for the delay.

Gil

post_thesis_ut94.pdf

I am getting a message that the server is unable to server my request.

I will try again tomorrow night.

It could be a file size issue. It is just under 3 MB.

If this can not be done I'll be pleased to e-mail to anyone who is interested.

Gil

I think part of the answer is that for bass horns, the difference in performance between exponential and tractrix horns seems rather small. Bruce Edgar gave up on tractrix for bass horns. The tractrix has been widely acepted for midranges, as we see from Klipsch's current line. My question is, why not revise the K401 to be tractrix? I think Klipsch wants to keep the top hat of the K-horn the same and its volumetric constraints are preventing any change to horn form.

For those of us, like me, who are math-challenged, the value of this article is the bibliography, which is a comprehensive survey of horn literature from Rayleigh's time through 1994.

Yes, agreed (tractrix wins) so why doesn't Klipsch use tractrix in the Klipschorn?

1) People at Klipsch weren't real comfortable changing PK's stuff -- so they decided for the most part to leave them alone. 2) You can't put a tractrix horn in them and keep the K-77 above the midhorn without increasing the height of the top hat --you would end up with a look quite a bit different than what you have now.

Yes, agreed (tractrix wins) so why doesn't Klipsch use tractrix in the Klipschorn?

It's called the Jubilee

Yes it is :)

I remember when this qustion was brought up in Hope and it was said that they did not want to deviate too much from the original klipschorn. However, they did add tractrix to both the Cornwall and Heresey.... What I have gathered from various conversations in Hope and post by klipsch engineers on the forum is that PWK really did eventually  embrace tractrix horns even used it on his last design. Would PWK have changed the mf hf to tractrix on the khorn?? We will never know. However, I would like to pose a hypothetical question. If we were to chose tractrix horns for the khorns could a single tractrix horn be used or would it require a two? If so which klipsch tractrix horns could be used ?