OT: Who is going to the Superbowl?

Colin

The bottom line is that it was a catch, Brady did fumble, and if you want to go back a week, it was interference on the Cowboys and should not have been reversed.

The thing which surprises me is that they need irrefutable (or something like that) proof to reverse a call.  I just did not see anything quite as clear as that to justify reversal.

The call was correct within the league rule as written.

How so?  Is there some other written rule, other than that which is cited in the article linked by Oldie?

The rule:

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

Bryant lost control of the ball momentarily - it pops out of his hand when he (and the ball) hits the ground. That is, by rule, no catch.

If the receiver falls after the catch, the ball CAN touch the ground, but it can't "wobble". So long as the receiver maintains a FIRM grip on the ball in the case of hitting the ground, it will be a catch. When the ball moves out of the grip of Bryant during the "crash" (ball hitting the ground) it was clear the call would be overturned, assuming correct application of the rule.

Watch the video on the MSN link where Mike Pereira explains this.

Edited by Audible Nectar

he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground

I would like to know more about the phrase, "when contacting the ground."  When, exactly, is this moment in time?  It seems to me the point of first contact means the ground "has been" contacted, and the player is no longer "contacting" the ground.  I think the phrase is problematic, and I also think it is not consistent with the notion that the ground cannot cause a fumble.  

he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground

I would like to know more about the phrase, "when contacting the ground."  When, exactly, is this moment in time?  It seems to me the point of first contact means the ground "has been" contacted, and the player is no longer "contacting" the ground.  I think the phrase is problematic, and I also think it is not consistent with the notion that the ground cannot cause a fumble.  

The phrasing does leave room for ambiguity - but the league interpretation of the rule since the change in 2010 has been consistent. The issue in this case is that when the ball hit the ground, and Bryant lost that "firm grip" on it, that invalidated the catch by league intent and interpretation of the rule.

The phrase "the ground can't cause a fumble" is no longer valid in all cases, this one being such a case. This rule in question was changed, IIRC, prior to the 2010 season. It used to be that so long as a player had control of the ball with two feet down, it was okay if the collision with the ground dislodged the ball. That rule was changed four years ago.

The phrasing does leave room for ambiguity - but the league interpretation of the rule since the change in 2010 has been consistent. The issue in this case is that when the ball hit the ground, and Bryant lost that "firm grip" on it, that invalidated the catch by league intent and interpretation of the rule.

The phrase "the ground can't cause a fumble" is no longer valid in all cases, this one being such a case. This rule in question was changed, IIRC, prior to the 2010 season. It used to be that so long as a player had control of the ball with two feet down, it was okay if the collision with the ground dislodged the ball. That rule was changed four years ago.

I know what you mean.  It was just a surprising rule to me.  I can only conceive that the intent of the rule is to determine clear possession.  He had clear possession before ever contacting the ground.  But it is what it is...

I love it.  Four years ago, now there's some continuity for a century plus old game.

I think this is what confuses people. I guess my understanding of this comes from watching too much NFL :lol: The first time I saw that play, I knew the catch was in serious doubt.

Much like the "tuck rule", there is certainly reason to argue that the rule should be changed, or to argue whether "the rule should be the rule". When the officials call the play by the league rule, however, one cannot say the call was incorrect.

I know what you mean.  It was just a surprising rule to me.  I can only conceive that the intent of the rule is to determine clear possession.  He had clear possession before ever contacting the ground.  But it is what it is...

He DID have possession before contacting the ground. That, however, is not enough. He must maintain control of the ball THROUGH the collision with the ground. This did not happen, therefore incomplete.

Of course.  The rules should have never existed in the first place.  Much like many today.  Not that much has changed in MLB, and people seem to like it.  What you have in the NFL is an oligarchy that tweaks the game for the worse based on what fits their notion of what gives them the greatest chance of success until the rules get changed again.

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."  

See bold, above.

... but he went to the ground after he caught it.  As you said, he DID possess it before he hit the ground.  He was no longer "in the act" of catching a pass.  It was caught.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."  

See bold, above.

... but he went to the ground after he caught it.  As you said, he DID possess it before he hit the ground.  He was no longer "in the act" of catching a pass.  It was caught.

Keep reading - see ALL bold. The key is "through the process". Of course he caught the ball before he hit the ground, but possession must be maintained through the process of hitting the ground as well.