OT: Who is going to the Superbowl?

Colin

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."  

See bold, above.

... but he went to the ground after he caught it.  As you said, he DID possess it before he hit the ground.  He was no longer "in the act" of catching a pass.  It was caught.

Keep reading - see ALL bold. The key is "through the process". Of course he caught the ball before he hit the ground, but possession must be maintained through the process of hitting the ground as well.

I know it's technical, but it's a technical rule.  Read the rule again. He only needs to maintain possession through contact with the ground if he is "in the act of catching" - not if the ball has already been caught.  To paraphrase, "If the player is in the act of catching, he must maintain control..."

Seahawks are looking good at this point.

That defense is looking "All Time". Secondary ranks amongst the best in league history (80's Niners, 70's Steelers). In a league that has done so much to benefit passing offense, defense and ball control still wins championships. I don't see them losing.

And iv been known for not knowing what the hell im talking about :blink:

Most enjoyable Cowboy game of the year.

They'll probably review the "Calvin Johnson" rule in the off season but bottom line is that the refs got it right in this particular instance.  The game however wasn't determined on just this one play. 

The thing I didn't understand on that play was why throw a low percentage pass when you have the leagues leading rusher in your back pocket?  I think he ended up with about 125 yards and had no trouble getting a yard or two when called upon.

I think they are getting too picky about whether not he caught the ball or not! He got the ball. He brought it down to the ground. That's enough for me.

http://www.businessinsider.com/dez-bryant-catch-2015-1

The link you provided supports overturning the catch, which was the correct thing to do.  In this case, the refs were just enforcing (correctly) a stupid rule.

I think they are getting too picky about whether not he caught the ball or not! He got the ball. He brought it down to the ground. That's enough for me.

http://www.businessinsider.com/dez-bryant-catch-2015-1

The link you provided supports overturning the catch, which was the correct thing to do.  In this case, the refs were just enforcing (correctly) a stupid rule.

The rule says if he was "in the act of catching," he must maintain possession through contact with the ground.  The ball was "caught" while he was in the air.  The act of catching had already been completed.  Therefore, he was not in the act of catching when he hit the ground.  Therefore, that rule does not apply.

No BS; that's what it looks like to me in the replay.

Here's the rule.

The rule states:

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

The act of the catch is not complete till the play is whistled dead.

It was easy to see that it would be overturned, at least to me.  You pretty much can't lose control after you hit the ground no matter what it appears you're doing with the ball.  They'll call it every time, or at least they should.

It's great fodder for discussion, just as the "picked up flag" was the week before.  I've never seen a call where a flag was thrown, the defender never turned his head and the flag sub sequentially  picked up before.  There's conspiracy theorists for and against Dallas moving on.  They both can make some pretty convincing arguments.

Another interpretation (not mine).

This is the official rule on receptions in the NFL:

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

Basically what that means is simple. If a player goes to the ground while in the process of making a catch, he must control the ball all the way through until his momentum from the fall ends. If at any point before his momentum stops he loses control of the ball and it touches the ground, the pass is incomplete.

Another interpretation (not mine).

This is the official rule on receptions in the NFL:

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

Basically what that means is simple. If a player goes to the ground while in the process of making a catch, he must control the ball all the way through until his momentum from the fall ends. If at any point before his momentum stops he loses control of the ball and it touches the ground, the pass is incomplete.

Right.  The key phrase is "in the act of catching."  Otherwise, if the ball is caught, he is not in the act of catching, and therefore, the rule does not apply.  I think the part at the end talking about regaining control prior to touching the ground adds a lot to the intent of the rule, as well.  If you regain control prior to touching the ground, it is a catch.  Presumably, and I can't see it any other way, if you have control and never lose control prior to touching the ground, it is a catch.  Everyone who has commented admits they saw the guy catch the ball.