preamp for McIntosh mc 2505

dtel

• Moderators

I don't have one but I am wondering what would be a good preamp for that amp. What would be the least expensive way to go and upgrade later?

Just looking at options for after the holidays to drive the Clll's.

I had thought about tubes but that's a little to much $ right now being I would want around 20 to 30 wpc if tubes. And from all that I read the Mc 2505 or an old HK 630 or 930 would probably make me happy.

I do like McIntosh and it would cost more that the HK but it sounds like general opinion is the Mc sounds better. I also took in to consideration I know 0 about tube amps and their prices.

I thought the McIntosh would be much more expensive and was not considering one until I ran across one for $525 in good condition, made me think. If that is a ballpark price on one I may go that route, although when I am ready they will probably much more ?

Just thinking about what to do after the 1st of the year....Opinions................No 2 or 3 wpc please

A McIntosh C-28 would match the MC2505 and is a nice pre-amp. One thing I like about the C-28 is that it has two main outputs, each with a center channel output. I have a very nice C-28 and love it. In fact, though I've order a tube pre-amp and really should sell my C-28, I just can't bring myself to part with it right now.

Mick

I would not recommend the C-28. They come with a volume control that "were junk and so are the new replacements. These were used on C28, C26, and MPI-4. Slight variation in ohm-age but

all the same construction by CTS. Marantz used these also and suffer

the same problems." (ron-c from McIntosh). Here is a link to the volume control discussion.

Ron,

That's interesting news about the C28 volume control. The C27 I had used a "steped" volume control that worked perfecty. I also had a MA6100 integrated amp for a while. That had an analog volume control with ganged sections to control the level at several places in the amp simultaneoulsy. It got noisy after a few years. The C27 wasn't very popular for some reason and they are hard to find on eBay. I can definitly recommend the C34V that I have. It's very civilized in every way. It even has a built on 20W stero amp complete with overdrive protection. It was inteneded for headphones but it will drive Klipsch speakers with no trouble.

AL K.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an IMMACULATE McIntosh C-28 for sale. I've been using it in conjunction with a Mac 2505 (among several other Macs) for several years. Just switched to Quicksilver electronics and am therefore desiring to sell some Mac (I own 13 pieces). Lemme know if interested...I'd take $500. Located in Warren, AR.

I also like the C28, and haven't had any trouble with the volume knob. Having the center channel output is a bonus.

If you don't "need" the blue meters of the 2505, a 250 can usually be

found for less. My prices are a little out of date (2 years), but I

paid $300 for each 250 and $400 each for the C28 and 2505.

$.02

I have an MC2155 and a C29 that I use with Cornwalls and I really enjoy that set-up. If you buy vintage McIntosh make sure you deal with a reputable source. I bought mine from Audio Classics and have been very pleased. Their product description and service are first class. Youll probably pay more but youll get great equipment. I would agree that the C28 would be the match for a MC2505.

A Mac 2505 in good condition for $525 is a STEAL. BUY IT. Klipsch + Mac = YUMMY[:)] It's one of the most worry free decisions you can make. If you don't like it, or want to go tubes later, you'll get at least $525 for it. You might save a hundred getting a 250 - but I would buy the 2505 that is offered to you and forgeddaboudit.

Preamp: Here's where you can "play" a bit. The Mac SS units are an OK recommendation, and the synergy will be good. But consider also a Merlin (especially if you do not need the phono). That will open the doors to an all tube system later, but if not, it would sweeten the system well just using it with the SS Mac amp.

Another option would be a nice condition MX-110, which gives you a better than expected linestage and very good phono and tuner, and will sound very good with the 2505 on da Corns.

Any of the above listed systems/options are kits you could live with for years, but yet you could upgrade those while retaining the resale value of those components if you decide to change.

Thought about one of the tuner-preamps of that era - like MX 112 or MX 113?

I had a 112 with volume control problems. It wouldn't track worth a darn - I was always having to fiddle with the balance control. At the time, there weren't any replacements available either - putting the on-off switch on the volume was a good idea at the time, I guess, but it sure made a hassle down the road.

Sort of a general question since we're talking Macs. I run a 2105 and 113 preamp/tuner. They're my first pieces of McIntosh and I am completely satisified with their sound and build quality.

But, one of the pieces is noisy and I'm not 100% sure which one it is. I keep my gains half way on the 2105. If I have the system on, but music off, I get a noticeable amount of hiss from my LaScalas when the volume on the 113 is from 10:00 on up. I've always written it off as normal because I read somewhere that the 113 is noisy, so I figured that the 113 was the noise/hiss maker.

Can anyone else running these pieces confirm what I've experienced? Or do I possibly have a problem that should be fixed?

Jeff

i recommend the ma5100 integrated. it is the best sounding ss amp i have ever heard on my khorns. that includes several other mac amps seperates and integrated. i was stunned. i got mine for $500. it is immaculate and came with the wood case. i like it so much, i just bought another on ebay for $382 that also is clean and came with the wood case and original owner's manual. in my opinion it sounds better than amps that are several thousand dollars. i couldn't believe it. i ain't complaining, but my neighbors might be!