What HT amp are you using for K-horns

zork52

I have a Sunfire Theater Grand I (5.1) and the Sunfire 7x200 amp. I am refinishing a house remodel and have yet to listen to the Klipschorns with this amp configuration.

Prior to the remodel though, I had KG4's and Heresies connected and they sounded great. Sunfire, IMHO, is a good match with Heritage.

No HT amp in my set up. I use four 2 channel amps for 7.1 and have a spare channel for who knows what.

BTW if you are interested in the brand/model they are Carver TFM-25s. At 225 WPC they have just a bit of headroom with the k-horns.[;)]

They rock out very nicely for 2-channel music too, but 99% of the time I run modded MK IIIs for music with the k-horns.

In my heritage HT, I use 3 mono McIntosh MC250's across the front, 1 McIntosh MC250 driving the 2 sides, and a McIntosh MC2105 driving my two rears.

I use a Lexicon MC1 HT processor for HT, and a McIntosh MC36 preamp for 2 CH.

Here is a pic of my rack from the Forum pictures

http://forums.klipsch.com/photos/the_klipsch_gallery/category1040/picture731580.aspx

JM

I don't have k-horns yet, but I've used numerous amps to date and must say that the more available power (I.E. Headroom), the better. I must agree with Chris Robinson, the best match I've found to date is Sunfire amp. I use the 450 wpc model though.

Every sales person I've spoken to about Klipsch Heritage claim that any more than 100 wpc is unnecessary. I could not DISAGREE more. The extra power makes the music much "richer", even at lower volumes.

I will also add that the Sunfire amp and Theater Grand is a great option due to the fact that you can connect the two with XLR Cables. This lowers the s/n ratio a full 6DB. This is definately noticable. But do not waste your money on the expensive XLR jacks, cheapies work just fine.

Good luck.

Let me lower the passing grade a little here... [:)]

I use a harman/kardon avr-325 receiver, with all of 55W per channel (as I recall). I watch movies around 7 dB below reference level, and reference level is around -15 dB on my receiver (used to be -17dB in a smaller room, so I'm guessing).

The only time I crank it all the way up is on CDs with big drums.

Let me lower the passing grade a little here... [:)]

I use a harman/kardon avr-325 receiver, with all of 55W per channel (as I recall). I watch movies around 7 dB below reference level, and reference level is around -15 dB on my receiver (used to be -17dB in a smaller room, so I'm guessing).

The only time I crank it all the way up is on CDs with big drums.

Yea but HK recievers have always told true watts. Could very well be like another company claiming 100WPC

Actually with my Khorns I was using an Adcom GFA-585LE with my Pioneer VSX-9900S in 93(and Monster cable...PWK did). Then it was 3 Marantz MA700 mono blocks and my Khorns and a KLFC7 upfront(Hersey II's off the receiver for rears). I boxed the amps and ran everything off the Marantz SR18EX Reference A\V receiver direct and had more than enough power, clean.

My (93)Khorns are now in Southern Alberta and in good hands with a Klipsch fanatic\member, and now running my 00 La'Scala's in their place.....[;)]

I have a McIntosh MC275 tube amp boxed new and in standby mode(bought with the sale of my Khorns), wish I had my girls back to hear this beast perform....tested on my Scalz, awesome....

No HT amp here. I use 1 McIntosh MC-250 bridged for the center, 1 MC-250 in stereo for the K-horn's, and my pre-amp/receiver handles the LaScala's in the rear (no way to add another MC-250 here, if I could I would). Should be able to make out my system in the avatar.

Thanks for replies and keep em coming.

I've got a Mac 7205, but I think it lacks in the bass dept. Use to have a Para HCA multi and it did great for HT, but a little "gritty" for HT.

When some money falls from the sky, I'm considering Butler Blue Tube multi channel, thought about Earthquake, or Gemstone.

Also, are any of you Khorn guys familiar with Aragon for Surround processor, or even their amps??

I have a B+K ref 30 that sounds pretty good, but are there better choices? I do like OSP as an option for adjustments however.

At the expense of "lowering the bar" even further by even mentioning this old SS stuff, I use individual Sansui AU-919's, rated at 110 WPC, 0.008 THD and IMD, for three pairs of K's and a pair of LaScala's in the HT room and the home office (listening room).

However..., that being said, how one maintains SS amps (just like the tubes...), can play a large role in their reliability and sound quality. I'm the original owner of these amps, and have consciously made sure that every 2-3 years or so, that all controls, relays, etc. are cleaned; all pots,caps and diodes in the pre-amp section are checked and replaced if they are not to the exact (or better) factory specs. I also adjust the offsets, power supplies, idle current, rails, etc.

The 919, IMHO, unlike probably most of the "run of the mill" consumer oriented SS's produced, is a very, very "flat" response amp; it's made without any loudness switch, etc., and if properly maintained is a very reliable, and fairly powerful amp. Only mods I've made are Dayton gold speaker terminal jacks/ binding posts, and a top chassis mounted 5" high volume cooling fan (very quiet but powerful). Wire runs are less than 12', all CL3/ 12/2 wire, and the speakers all have an inline fuse. The K's and LS's have Bob Crites AA's (my old ears need no more...), and the overall system certainly makes me happy!

Do they sound good? Yes, they really do. Would I like tubes, yes, and eventually I'll go for Juicy Music when my kids graduate and move out of the house...

MWM