packing pros at ups store

joessportster

pros is a loosely used term here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

took an expensive piece of gear to ups store to ship had it all packed and ready to go, asked for 2300 insurance and the store manager/ouner comes up and asks

is this packed in bubble wrap and peanuts????????

of course the answer was no and i had to enlighten her as to how to pack electronics, and they are supposed to be

shipping pros[:D][:^)]

I am currently in week 12 waiting for UPS to pay me for a pair of speakers they destroyed improperly packing them at their UPS store...since I was not the sender but the buyer, I need to be more patient...they are not sure how much the settlement will be...arrrggggggggghhhhhhhh!

Bill

I have not responded to ads on Audiogon because teh seller said the item will be "professionally packed."

To me this means some 17 year old stoned kid will throw it in a box with peanuts and charge an extra $30 to guarantee that I will have to make a shipping claim.

I want amateur packing by an anal retentive neurotic type A such as myself.

i have seen countless pieces of gear destroyed by the melon heads that pack using bubblewrap and peanuts, what they fail to see is once the package starts to get moved about the peanuts shift and the merchandise tends to make its way to the edge of the box

oldtimer know anyone looking for a nakamichi deck (rx505 refurbed last year)Joe

I've used an independent professional packaging store (not UPS store) and been very satisfied with the results. Whenever I bring something in, he always discusses what he'll use to pack it. He uses foam -not peanuts, actual packing foam that he cuts to fit around the equipment.

For larger items, he makes boxes to fit around the equipment as well (subwoofers, large speaker cabs, etc.)

I've shipped dozens of things through them and never had a complaint. So, there are good, knowledgeable packing places, but they're most likely not chain stores.

-Jon

Two years ago, I took 2 Polk Audio SDA-2 Towers (about 70 lbs each) to the UPS Store. They made boxes for them and packed them in Stryofoam Slabs. Shipping was about $200 to send them from Detroit to Carson City, Nevada, They arrived in perfect condition.

Based on what you are saying, I suppose not all UPS Stores are created equal. Bummer.

-Glenn

I always ask for double boxing with packing around the item in the first box as well as packing around the first box in the second box.

I specifiy this exactly .

Since doing so, i have no compliants on items recieved.

Prior to specifing, i would get an item wrapped with box one, then wrapped with box two.

A few sellers balk, until i ask them to read the UPS packing instructions for "insured" items.

I've used an independent professional packaging store (not UPS store) and been very satisfied with the results. Whenever I bring something in, he always discusses what he'll use to pack it. He uses foam -not peanuts, actual packing foam that he cuts to fit around the equipment.

For larger items, he makes boxes to fit around the equipment as well (subwoofers, large speaker cabs, etc.)

I've shipped dozens of things through them and never had a complaint. So, there are good, knowledgeable packing places, but they're most likely not chain stores.

-Jon

I'm afraid I've got the pleasure of backing Jon up here!! I received one of his 'packages' and though it's not totally unpacked yet (if you can belive that), I did open it up and geez... THAT is one reason I've not taken it out (LaScala cabinet) It's packed in there tighter than sardines in Fini's cheeks...

(ducking)

[:D]

It arrived the same exact day as the Jubilees. The wife was stressing out about the HUGE Jubilee boxes, so when the LaScala was delivered a couple hours later, she hardly noticed! (true story) It's relatively puny next to the Jubilees!

I got it, threw it on my hand truck and carted it into the big room in the basement that currently holds a TON of junk in storage or general disarray.

The bathroom I'm finishing in the basement is off of this large room and when the bathroom is done (tile guy was here just today for a quote to tile shower), I'll start in the big room.

so, since I've got drywall in there (4x10 sheets standing on side, not hung), slinging boards around in same room, dressers, speakers (EV's), tables...... I figured the speaker was safer if I kept it boxed.

As it is this second, I've got a bunch of stuff sitting on top of it, including a couple boxes with the very crossovers (and another box with the K-33) that will be going in it.

I'm not really sure if I want to throw a K400 and a T35 in it, or perhaps get THREE K-402's (same as on the Jubilee) and mate THOSE with all three of my LaScalas. I think by doing this, I might get the better matched timbre that is often spoken of. I'll probably wait until talking to Roy about that issue.

Now, to try to post ONE time...

Another sad story...A couple of years ago, I sold a pr of JBL StudioMasters to a fella in CA under the condition that he pay for the packing and shipping. He suggested I take them to to Mailboxes, etc. and I did. They took the speakers away to pack (1 per box) and I left thinking that these were "Pros". A few days later, the gentleman calls me in tears. The delivery-person had slipped while unloading the speakers and one box fell off the truck and exploded.

The speaker was destroyed and it turned out that it had only been packed with peanuts which had been crushed to tiny bits during shipping. Worse yet, UPS denied the claim saying that Mailbox, etc. was to blame for faulty packing and Mailbox, etc. claimed that UPS was responsible for dropping it. After a lot of hassles and delays (its part of their strategy), UPS finally cut the check.

I got to keep my money, the gentleman got his money back and kept the "surviving" speaker but nobody was happy with the outcome. That was the last time I shipped anything that I didn't pack myself (and most likely why I still have a pr of Khorns in storage).

It's always important enough to me that whomever I'm shipping to gets whatever I'm sending in proper condition. Any major hardware store sells sheets of hard insulating foam material of various thicknesses and it's not too costly. I always ship stuff in a new box so that any damage can be attributed to that shipment. I re-enforce all box dimensions with 3 inch duct tape to further stiffen the container once packaged. I try to give enough spare space around what being shipped to allow for a puncture.

It is UPS policy that the delivery driver has no more than 7 minutes to drop off a package. I don't use UPS because they drop and run and work to not give the receiving party time to inspect a shipment.

If I send you something you're gonna get it unless it's involved in a major incident...period.[Y]

If you open an on-line FedEx account, you can do the packing yourself, print the labels and just drop it off at the nearest location for shipping. My theory is if you can drop the package from about 20 feet onto concrete with no damage (never actually tested but you get the idea), it should arrive safely.