Will it take off?

Coytee

I'm just wondering if we ever came to a resolution here?

WinkIndifferentAngel

Mythbusters actually did a show on this. Thier conclusion? The airplane DID take off, even if on a conveyor. The reason being is that the propellor was providing the forward motion, NOT the wheels. Thus, the propellor was still going to propel the plane forwards enough to get lift on the wings, regardless of the conveyor (after all it is called a propeller for a reason [;)]). Whereas, for a car, the propulsion is provided through the wheels themselves, and thus would have to overcome the motion of the conveyor to get the vehicle to move forward.

In fact, the pilot that flew the plane when they did the full-scale test was quite amazed himself (he honostly did not think he would get the plane to takeoff).

Man, I love this place. You drop out of sight for a while, attend to the slings and arrows of life and owning a business, develop new hobbies, experience a thousand changes in perspective and principal, but you can always drop back here to the touchstones of history, wondering why people just don't seem to get this...

This thread brought you out of hiding Ray, or was it just coincidence?

Hi!

I have been so busy with PeriShip the past few months I simply haven't had the time to do more than pop in here every once in a while, primarily to see what Klipsch is up to. Don't usually have time to peruse the forums or engage in conversation... :(

But when I saw "Will It Fly" on the forum's recent posts page I couldn't resist.

By the way, I've been listening to a Marantz PM-94 for the past several months now, and this has got to be the best sounding amp (at least with the CF-4) I've ever had in my system, if anyone's interested...

• 2 years later...

What the wheels are doing is irrelevant. If air is moving across the wings fast enough and at a suitable angle to provide enough lift to overcome the weight of the plane, it will take off. That's it!

exactly right. parked planes can even "take off" in high winds, which is why they are tied down.