Will it take off?

Coytee

I read the first page and did not want to read 45 more so if forgive me if my answer has already been used.

It says a plane so my plane is a Harrier fighter jet and it just uses it's 23,000 pounds of thrust to go straight up so there is no damage to the landing wheels.

I never said I was smart. I'm on a lot of lists, thanks.

But I am getting a better grasp of the situation. The plane will move forward with or without the conveyor belt. I'll change my answer. If a woman can change her mind, I should be able too as well. [;)]

I never said I was smart. I'm on a lot of lists, thanks.

But I am getting a better grasp of the situation. The plane will move forward with or without the conveyor belt. I'll change my answer. If a woman can change her mind, I should be able too as well. Wink

Some of the smartest people are the ones that don't make the claim; I'll bet your in that list.

I see how it is a trick question, really. The thrust provided by the engine (either jet or prop) will cause the plane to move forward, regardless of the conveyor. It will then get lift as the air flows over the wings and take off.

jb, perhaps a little humble pie will be served...[:#]

Marvel, my apologies to you, i was'nt implying that you were smart, but that some other contributors to the thread have in the past shown qualities that could put them in the "smart" camp. Sorry for the percieved slur.

hmmmmm... I think that...ummm.... never mind. [8-)]

"a plane is standing on a movable runway ( something like a conveyor). as the plane moves the conveyor moves but in the opposite direction. the conveyor has a system that tracks the speed of the plane and matches it exactly in the opposite direction."

IOW's, the plane's wheels are spinning but it's not moving -- it's standing in place. So, I don't think it's gong anywhere, especially not up.

If a jet airliner has to go 160 knots to take off, the conveyor belt would be doing 160 knots in the opposite direction and the plane's wheels would be spinning at 320 knots.

As an unwanted note of practicality, the wheels and tires might not be able to stand that speed.

If a jet airliner has to go 160 knots to take off, the conveyor belt would be doing 160 knots in the opposite direction and the plane's wheels would be spinning at 320 knots.

As an unwanted note of practicality, the wheels and tires might not be able to stand that speed.

But as a happy note of thrust and lift, even if the tires and wheels disintegrate, if the jet goes 160 knots with or without the tires and wheels, it takes off (belly of the jet may be a little scratched up, though from gravity and drag - serious drag...)

• Moderators

I don't think what the wheels or conveyor belt does makes any difference, the only effect they have is friction or resistance which the engines overcome. Like a seaplane has more resistance then the same plane with wheels on land.

The plane takes off, the engines push the plane forward, it doesnt matter how fast the wheels turn except for friction.

Unless the conveyor belt is rotated by something it wouldn't even move, the plane moving forward is not dependant on what the conveyor belt does except for friction.

Just another opinion added to all the rest !

I do'nt think practicality was meant to be taken into account. After all where is the practicality of running a plane on a conveyor in the first place. But i would'nt mind betting that aircraft tyres could handle those speeds.Smile

But if they couldn't handle those speeds on a conveyer, wouldn't even a routine landing disintegrate the tires? Would seem to be a lot more friction and stress?

my 0.02 cents for today