Favorite Holiday Albums

jacksonbart

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Several years ago Allan Songer recommend Duke Pearsons Merry Ole Soul (BN 84323) as a great jazz Christmas LP. He was right!

If you like Big Band I recommendMistletoe Swing (North Star Music NS134)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If you like country I recommend Alan Jacksons Let it be Christmas

And if you like olde and quaint I recommend "A Celtic Celebration Vol. 1&2" (Steve Schuch & The Night Heron Consort)

We listen to a lot of Christmas music but the five Ive mentioned are favorites.

This one is fun! I try and get a few new holiday recordings each year. My favorites: Chip Davis and all of the "Mannhiem Steamroller" from 1975 until now. They are all great. I also love the GRP Holdiay Collection, especially Tom Scott playing Feliz Navidad. I also enjoy "So This Is Christmas" by John Lennon. My latest favorite, that I'm listening to right now, is last year's Diana Krall CD. Truly amazing. "Live in Paris" was good, but her Christmas set is exceptional.

I still listen to all the classics; Mel Torme, Bing Crosby, Renaissance Christmas, etc,etc, etc. I love anything done well.

Solstice IV is also one of my faves, as is the GRP collection (I have the 3 disc set).

Did I mention that I have like 60 Christmas CD's? I have made a mixed set of faves for the past few years. Kind of wore myself out last year when I gave away 5CD sets to friends. One each- Kids/Jazz/Classical/Old Time/Rockin CD. That was a labor of love baby!

And yes, I guess that was copyright infringement, about the same as all my brides who give away those cheesy 'our favorite romantic music' CD's at weddings- I have like 30 of those- never play them!

Michael

Neil Diamond has a disc set out (5 disks I think?) covering his history of live songs. and ONE of them happens to be all Christmas songs.

I've seen him a number of times live (usually in colder months). Years ago, he'd take several slots and play Christmas songs. Once, he sang one song (I THINK it was O-Holy night but I might be wrong)

Anyways, he sang the song either straight up with the crowd involved, then he sang it (same song) in Latin as I recall... ?? None the less, it wasn't English. I really dug that version, especially with his voice.