Please recommend a Tube CD Player

mark1101

Well I thought OB and in turn, I was asking a fair question...do they sound THAT different...you could make the jokes about speaker wire differences or power cords but perhaps just share your experiences with some of the higher end CD players??? Is that so tough???

Bill

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Somebody with a Tube CD player in the New York area needs to turn OB on, easy though I don't want anyone rocking his ticker[;)]

Wish I could give advice as I have only heard one Tube CDP and that was the BAT VK-D5 original and yes OB there is definitely a difference in CDP's[:P]

If your budget streched to $1600.00 or $1700.00 I'd say A-goN for a used VK-D5[:(]

I have many fine comments and reviews on the mini max and of course the Ah! is one of the forum favorites[:)]

Good luck

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1170001565

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1169933482

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1169912859

I don't see any non SE models right now but what a beauty both visually and musically[:D]

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1170105876

Please don't laugh at this, Is there that much difference in CD players. I use a Sony ES single play, like it alot, have no reason to change, but I find this thread rather interesting. Is there really that much difference in CD players, really?????????????? Where do you look to find the players mentioned here..............NEW? Lead me in the right direction please.....................

Yes, there is a difference in CD players. [<:o)][<:o)]

Yes, absolutely.

I owned the AH Tjobe 4000 for 2 weeks w/o the UpSampler. Then, when the latest Upsampler became available, I purchased and installed it, and noticed an immediate improvement. The sound is very smooth, very fluid with the Upsampler. I also own a Denon DVD 2200 (SACD capabilities), and perfer my cheaper AH! over it.

JC and I took Carl & Gilberts rec's and got the AH! w/UpSampler. We both love 'em. Very cost-effective IMHO. We both run tube preamps in to SS power. Don't know if that would matter in considering the other tube CDP's mentioned.

tc

After this tube the differences between CD players tend to get blurred a bit.

Jacksonbart,

You are something.....[:D] Here I go giving you attention. I'll probably make things worse.

By the way everyone, thanks for all this info. Keep it coming.

I dont know about the Xindak SCD-2 (mods?) but like Steve, I like my Eastern Electric Mini Max a lot.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The Xindak is wonderful for SACD, redbook is real good, the MInimax is exceptional with the right 6922's

I have only heard the shanling and then only at an "audio salon" so its hard to say how I like it because I like the way my set up sounds better than what I heard at the "salon" I have not looked for a while but I was interested to see that there are tube SACD players. I have a Sony ES222 that I had moded at SACDmods.com and have been extremely happy with it. In face I bought a second ES222 (from boomac btw) that I will also have the same nod done to and will use it im my office set up.

Yes there is a significant difference between Cd players. There is significant difference between my moded Sony and the stock one - at least to my ears. I have also used them both with an external tube DAC (http://www.geocities.com/mhdtlab/renaissance.htm) and have the ability to AB both with the direct out and also through the DAC My preference would be 3rd -Stock, 2nd DAC 1st Moded one with out the DAC.

Also would agree with all the trachorn comments!

Josh

Get yourself a Jolida JD-100 replace the stock 12AX7's with a pair of 5751 triple mica black plates and I guarantee you will be in audio bliss. The Ah! is just a reworked Marantz CD player from SS to a tube player and a new name slapped on it. I have heard just about all the high end players and the Jolida with the right tubes smokes them all.

Get yourself a Jolida JD-100 replace the stock 12AX7's with a pair of 5751 triple mica black plates and I guarantee you will be in audio bliss. The Ah! is just a reworked Marantz CD player from SS to a tube player and a new name slapped on it. I have heard just about all the high end players and the Jolida with the right tubes smokes them all.

yea, the AH is a real piece of junk because it is just a "reworked" player. You definately don't want one. Mine hurts my ears.

Oooo!

OTS - Is that to say you have a Jolida yourself? Curious if you've played around with many different tubes and how you arrived at this one type.

Yep, in fact I have two Jolida JD-100's and love'em. I have tried just about every different 12AX7 I could get my hands on and every 12AX7 variant like 5751, 7025, ECC83, W, WA, gray plates, black plates, long plates, etc. and none are as sweet and detailed as the JG 5751 triple mica black plate IMHO.

CJ and Db thanks for the invites. Everyone, thanks for the great comments. Some player names that are new to me showed up here (so far). I have some reading to do.

Right now I have a Sony C222ES, no mods.

You might want to check out www.sacdmods.com His mod to the 222 is quite remarkable. I think the cost is around 350.00 which is fair bit cheaper than some of the other options here. Do some research and youll see that i am not the only one who is pleased with his work.

Josh.

Let's try this again....................What is a good unit WITHOUT the Mods.............Where can a person look at such units? Is there really that much difference in CD players? Seems to be a simple questions to me...............maybe not.....................If I get one of these players, if they are so good, why do any mods? I am interested in a good player that doesn't need to be modded.....................I could get my Sony Modded if that's the case.

OB,

Some how I lost your phone# ,I just read a PM because I was looking for your phone# and Whamo wants to join us for a listening session some time . I have the VRD's and I am going to do a trade with Craig so I can get the juicy music blue berry at my home for a while. I also ordered a set of Al K trachorns . So give me a call or send me an e-mail or Pm , 315 797 -4053

Duke also has a Jolida which, last time I checked, he loved.  I'm sure there's many good threads on this to search on.  

(Hate to hijack - but if any Jolida peeps have knowledge on where I can get an identical rubber foot for my remote, I'd be grateful.  Mine fell off and I'd rather not replace them all with some cheapo stick on type deal.  Yes, I contacted the company).

yea, the AH is a real piece of junk because it is just a "reworked" player. You definately don't want one. Mine hurts my ears.

That is simply a comical statement. The only thing the Ah! uses from Marantz is the chassis, drive and op amps. The same drive is used in many high end players and transports and has been an industry standard. With the upsampler replacing the op amps, the unit is one smooth player imo. Without the upsampler, the unit is not extraordinary but still very good.

4.85 out of 5 on Audio Review with 135 reviews but it 'hurts your ears". That's funny.

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/cd-players/PRD_125042_1586crx.aspx

The main thing that you will notice when adding a tubes CDP is added warmth and elimination of the 'digital edge'. It's basically like trying to get CDs to sound more like vinyl.

I bought one of the very first AH! players--back when you had to get them shipped from Europe and when they were $400. They ARE cheap and flimsy looking, but that's part of the charm!

Nice player--killer for the money. I still prefer my old original Rega Planet, but both are in use in secondary systems.

My BAT VK-D5 in my main system is the best CD player I have ever heard.