mark1101

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dean,

It's a long explanation concerning the trachorns. They may be in my future. But not yet.

If anyone thinks a tube CD player is a bad idea or a waste or that there is a better conventional type, please give your opinion. 90% of the time I am playing CDs.

I heard the Ah with all the upgrades and it was excellent...best I've heard. I haven't heard any other tube players, and none of any type that cost more than the Ah. So, I have limited information, but the Ahwas really good.

I know the Jolida folks love their players too.

I'm just looking for more info on all this.

Keep in mind I had a crappy (IMO) CDP prior, but when I bought our used Jolida (modded with Level 1 upgrade)  - it was a remarkable experience.  I consider that piece to be the most dramatic improvement of everything we've done.   I've not heard the others, but.....   The build quality is OFF THE HOOK.  A tank.  A pretty one though.   And the remote....  oh that remote....

Every single time I put in a CD, my mind says "thank god I bought this!".  Every time.    (I had a choice of Bugle boys or Telefunken....  thought the Tele was horrifying (really!) so the Bugle Boys are still in.  No clue if another tube would be better).

I think you answered your own question. " heard the Ah with all the upgrades and it was excellent...best I've heard". Thats the one I'd go with if you liked it. No messing around.

I couldn't listen to any CDP and just went with the Heart.If I had a chance to listen to any of the others and liked it I would have bought that one.

If you ever pass thru Bham you are more than welcome to listen to the Heart.

Good Luck,

Danny

Ditto what Meagain said. If you ever pass through St. Louis, then have a listen at my Jolida. Exceptionally reliable and detailed. Never left wanting for more.

Adding a tubed CDP to your system adds dimension and wetness to dry, flat CDs.

Carl.

P.S. Even though Dean was ribbing you, he is right on the Trachorn issue. Different world with Trachorns.

I don't know how it compares with the Ah or Jolida, but agree with smilin that the Eastern Electric Minimax has a fine, tube-like realistic sound. I heard one at Boomac's earlier this year through his Cornwalls, and was very impressed with its sound quality. Note that Boomac was running it through a BAT tube preamp and tube amplifier. I don't think you'd go wrong with a Minimax.

Dean, I know. [:D] We can talk about Trachorns sometime, and I'll share my thoughts.

I think the Jolida uses 12ax7 and the Ah uses 6dj8/6922. That's actually a consideration. High end 12ax7s can be ridiculously priced, although the newer offerings are getting better they are not as good. The VRDs and Peach have me buying both types, and I seem to be able to get better 6dj8/6922 for less money. Maybe a wash, not sure.

I read about the Jolida remote.

I think you answered your own question. " heard the Ah with all the upgrades and it was excellent...best I've heard". Thats the one I'd go with if you liked it. No messing around.

I couldn't listen to any CDP and just went with the Heart.If I had a chance to listen to any of the others and liked it I would have bought that one.

If you ever pass thru Bham you are more than welcome to listen to the Heart.

Good Luck,

Danny

The AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 is the baby you want. The Joliad also gets high marks. Should you decide on the AH!, the upsampler is a MUST HAVE option. You'll also want to get a pair of Siemens CCa's.

Please don't laugh at this, Is there that much difference in CD players. I use a Sony ES single play, like it alot, have no reason to change, but I find this thread rather interesting. Is there really that much difference in CD players, really?????????????? Where do you look to find the players mentioned here..............NEW? Lead me in the right direction please.....................

I would like to know the answer to this as well...I have the Toshiba SD 3950 (budget "CD" player) and the Cambridge Audio Azur 640c V1...the build quality of the Cabridge is SO much better but the sound is just a bit better (or have I fallen for the "hype") but it is certainly not 6 times the price of the Toshy better...I don't wish to break it down in terms of only dollars and cents (sense ;) ) but if it is just a little bit beter than the Cambridge of Toshy...well...

Bill

Is there any difference?

IF your system has the resolution, ABSOLUTELY.

I just sold my Jolida (wich I would highly recommend with ss gear) in Leau of an Arcam, (until I have the $$$ for the Wadia I want) and the detail is much better through the rest of my tubes.

So much depends on your system synergy, and the "sound" you are after.

Please don't laugh at this, Is there that much difference in CD players. I use a Sony ES single play, like it alot, have no reason to change, but I find this thread rather interesting. Is there really that much difference in CD players, really?????????????? Where do you look to find the players mentioned here..............NEW? Lead me in the right direction please.....................

Is there a difference....maybe this is like asking if speaker wire sounds different...below is what I have and ranked in order of which sounds better...so yeah, they sound different to me.

Cary CD-300 tube CD, paid 400 bucks in 2006, list in 1992 was 1800

Onkyo NAS 2.3, paid 500 bucks in 2005, list in 2000 was 2200

Onkyo DV-S939, paid 1200 in 2001, list in 2000 was 1600

JVC XV 2000, paid 195 in 1995, list in 1993 was 480

Yes, there is a difference in CD players. [<:o)][<:o)]

I have been lusting after the Shanling CDT100. They are alot of $$$, but can be had for about a G, used if you keep your eyes peeled. They are beautiful to look at too. I believe Wardsweb (Luther) has one.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1170602465

Jeremy

The shanling is definitely the beauty of all the tubed CD players' that I've found during my research. But during my web-research I came across (on a forum) a group of owners that said they did not live up to their advertised play back abilities (Red Book playback). I also discovered a bunch of owners that were paying premiums for circuit adjustment or PCB additions just to get them to play decent.

I have not listened to one, but I have talked to quite a few owners that actually advised me against buying one.

Yes, there is a difference in CD players. [<:o)][<:o)]

Yes, absolutely.

I owned the AH Tjobe 4000 for 2 weeks w/o the UpSampler. Then, when the latest Upsampler became available, I purchased and installed it, and noticed an immediate improvement. The sound is very smooth, very fluid with the Upsampler. I also own a Denon DVD 2200 (SACD capabilities), and perfer my cheaper AH! over it.