Has Klipsch created an "upgrade kit" for Heresys?

West

To find out if Klipsch provides an upgrade kit you can give them a call at: 1-800-KLIPSCH

I am not aware of any upgrade kits, but that is definetly the way to go about finding them. Another alternative might be to just purchase a pair of more recent Heresy speakers. Or you could go all out and get the new H3, which is leaps and bounds better than the older heresy models. Maybe Klipsch would be willing to sell you the parts for the new H3 and then you can just drop them into your already existing cabinet.

• 3 weeks later...

If I have a pair of 1981 Heresy H-700s and would

like to upgrade them. I've heard Klipsch offers an upgrade

kit. I'd love to buy a pair of kits, but don't know where to find

it. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

West

There IS an upgrade for the K-horn, but I've never headd of one for Heresies. However, you can do one yourself.

Your

crossover capacitors are certainly out of spec, by now. Replace

them in kind with modern caps. I like the polypropylene film and

foil caps like Hovland Musicaps (madisound.com et al). If you

have a Type C crossover just replace the caps. If it is a Type E,

or later, consider reworking it to the schematic attached. The

modified one drops the squawker and tweeter levels until the response

is almost flat. The Type E is pretty bright. One

change, though. I've since discovered the 3 uF tweeter cap should

be 2 uF like Mr. Paul had it.

Your

Heresies have K-77, AlNiCo tweeters. You can get a little flatter

response and a bit more highs by changing to K-77-Ms. The -Ms

will also handle 5 watts continuous power vs. 2 watts for yours.

Bob Crites has a plug-n-Play tweeter with a LOT higher response and

power handling, if you want to go one step further (smoother response,

too, I think). Just replacing your tweeter diaphragms will get

you the greater power handling and a bit better performance.

Again, Bob's your Uncle!

Your Squawker driver has spring

terminals. Those drivers often have a response "bounce" at

9kHz. It can be annoying to some people. You can add a

"P-trap" or look for the somewhat rare solder terminal version that has

somewhat smoother response and no "bounce".

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/10843.aspx

post-2142-1381931841491_thumb.jpg

John -- if you sit the Heresy on the floor and back it into a corner -- The Type E sounds 'right'. I would only use the new network (above schematic) for Heresys that are elevated and/or away from the walls. Under those conditions, it's a monumental improvement.

I think replacing the old caps in the networks is a must do. Replacing the old tweeter with BEC's new replacement is equally high on the list in my book.

Dean, when I put my HIs on the floor, in a corner, they sounded tubby

and boomy. Voices sounded like they all had a chest cold.

They are now about 4 feet off the floor, but still in the corners,

similar to on the floor, against a wall. With the modified

crossover, they're quite nice.

I need to get around to doing this mod.

IF I changed the caps in the process, what would be a good no-nonsense capacitor to use? I was thinking of these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=027-214

Is this the same mod djk was suggesting in the past? (move the taps and then add a resistor to keep the impedance the same so the caps don't have to change).

Dean, when I put my HIs on the floor, in a corner, they sounded tubby and boomy. Voices sounded like they all had a chest cold. They are now about 4 feet off the floor, but still in the corners, similar to on the floor, against a wall. With the modified crossover, they're quite nice.

Hey, I just meant the attenuation was 'right' with 'em on the floor -- I never said nothin bout it sounding good.:)

If I have a pair of 1981 Heresy H-700s and would like to upgrade them. I've heard Klipsch offers an upgrade kit. I'd love to buy a pair of kits, but don't know where to find it. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

West

You can get an upgrade kit for the Heresy directly from Klipsch. Call them and ask for Cornwalls. Direct replacement.

All kidding aside, I just modified a few pairs of Heresys and the balance (read bass response) was much better. I replaced the caps with solens and dropped the midrange and tweeter taps to lower them by 3 db along with adding a resistor to keep all values corect. Just before sjhipping them out (I sold the last pair last week) I had them hooked up to a Yamaha CR1020 vintage receiver and they sounded really good. Way more bass than you would ever expect from a Heresy.

Mine sound great 6" off floor, 8" from back wall, and NOT in corners, of course with a sub crossed at 90hz..............I don't believe acoustic suspension speakers have to be in a corner, and all I read is how the Heresy was designed to be a center channel speaker for Khorns, so they would not be designed for a corner. Unless you are telling me the center channel should come from a corner.

• Moderators

To find out if Klipsch provides an upgrade kit you can give them a call at: 1-800-KLIPSCH

I am not aware of any upgrade kits, but that is definetly the way to go about finding them. Another alternative might be to just purchase a pair of more recent Heresy speakers. Or you could go all out and get the new H3, which is leaps and bounds better than the older heresy models. Maybe Klipsch would be willing to sell you the parts for the new H3 and then you can just drop them into your already existing cabinet.

There was some mention of Klipsch selling an upgrade kit when we were in Hope? Someone with Klipsch was going to look into Klipsch selling the kits to upgrade????

Those H3's were kickin!!!!!

Other than updating the caps in the crossovers and BEC tweeters, you might want to give some thought to another low dollar upgrade. My recollection is that Klipsch ran the tweeters hotter (or louder) in the Heresy as opposed to other Heritage such as the Klipschorn (even though they used the same K77 version). If you find the tweeters too prominent, you may want to give some thought to attentuating (or reducing in volume) the tweeters to make the speakers sound more balanced. There are a number of ways of inexpensive ways of attentuating the tweeters, and I prefer Al Klappenberger's tweeter attentuators (about $80 or so) with a movable plug to adjust the attenuation from -3 db to -11 db (www.alkeng.com).

Carl.