Who here is from the Disco era?

I Love music period. There was some crap disco to be sure but there was also some very well written, arranged and performed music (Disco Inferno for example). I enjoyed the disco era but I still had copies of Bad Company, Nazereth, Thin Lizzy, Tom Robinson band, Judas Priest,The Stranglers,LedZep mixed in with my Saturday Night Fever LP....LOL..those were the days...I think?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DISCO SUCKED!!!!!

I was into Thin Lizzy, Zep, Black Sabboth, Deep Purple, Kansas, Judas Priest, Stones, Rush, Terrible Ted,.....anything loud, fast, and hard.

Big problem though. Rocker chicks were not as hot (overall) as the disco chicks.....

I couldn't dance, but every now and again....when no one was looking...I wouldn't turn the station if one of the songs came on..

Disco Duck ruined it for me though.

Disco had it's place for me as I had just been stationed in Germany March 1976 and it was all the rage and as it has already been mentioned all music takes us someplace back in time to memories of what were[;)]

The first two lines I learned in German are

1 more beer please? and

Will you dance?

My God were the Disco-teques (sp) there the bomb! It never hurt that I was just 19 and built for the battle but I felt like I had died and gone to heaven[;)] I remember vividly dancing my fanny off with some beautiful fraulines which seamed to be just the ticket to romantic bliss. Can't tell you some of the stage frieght these ladies seemed to have the next morning when I'd casually step over to the big hefty Pioneer (yes OB one of the big watt boys) and crank up that Trapeze and the romance was over!!LOL

I still to this day love putting this

B000001F9M.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1136512

on my table and remember those times with a wide open smile[:o] Sometime I'll have to tell OB about my first ride in a 911[:P]

I was of age during the late 70s but consider myself a disco boy. The sad thing is that most of what made disco suck was the songs played on top 10 am radio. The real good stuff was mostly underground and played in the new york and european discos and hardly ever on mainstream radio. I managed to download lots of disco from napster a few years back. It is very hard to find. I have XM radio and while I like disco, I never listen to the disco channel "chrome" because it is all crap.

Funny thing is, I listen to dance and house being played today and I hear the old disco beats. Old stuff always comes around..

artists such as Cerrone, Giorgio Morauder, Alex Costandinos, Salsoul Orchestra hardly ever made it on radio, but where considered the best.

Yet, when someone is bashing disco they think of stuff like the Beegees (squeeze my balls and I can sing like them too), Alicia Bridges and other top 10 am hit singles. Yuck.

What part of Disco sucked?

It was the ONLY time I've ever cleared a spot on the dance floor. (Though I didn't know it at the time.) Back home from college for Christmas in 80, maybe 81, went to a grat disco place downtown, little of this, little of that, met a girl, we were dancing to something disco and the next song that came up was "Whip It" by Devo. Well, I'd just about the right amount of creativity and inhibition reliever ingested by one form or another, and proceded to totally punk out.

Put me in the category of saying that Disco Sucks. I will admit it was fun while it was sucking though...Rock and Rollers could still have fun at a Disco as others have pointed out--Rebels need lovin too. [&]

I also admit to giving "Whip it" my best effort on the Dance floor but thank god it wasn't a solo event. My favorite "clear the way someone is feelin it" experience was on the song "Burning Down the House" at a Office Christmas party. I shared that experience on another thread. No need to embarrass myself here. [;)]

DISCO SUCKED!!!!!

No, it was not ALL bad.

Big problem though. Rocker chicks were not as hot (overall) as the disco chicks.....

Amen brother, I'll have to agree on this one, absolutely 100% accurate.

Disco Duck ruined it for me though.

Yea, me too. I hated that song, still do. But there was too much other good stuff to just scratch disco from the list.

Along w/being a DJ at a Disco, I also played at wedding receptions, etc.

Remember, Billy Idol "White Wedding", so the era wasn't entirely dominated by disco, but IMO, the women are to blame, and of course, the men were soon entrapped for obvious reasons.[:D]

It was the best of times, and it was the worst of times.....depending on your outlook!

Along w/being a DJ at a Disco, I also played at wedding receptions, etc.

Remember, Billy Idol "White Wedding", so the era wasn't entirely dominated by disco, but IMO, the women are to blame, and of course, the men were soon entrapped for obvious reasons.[:D]

It was the best of times, and it was the worst of times.....depending on your outlook!

You used Billy Idol and Disco in the same sentence. Are you insane. That's even worst than the guy that called the Rolling Stones "Some Girls" LP a disco album.... Get real. At least "Some Girls" was from the same time period. But Billy Idol, man, WAY OFF track. You didn't even hit the paper on that target.

I'll take a bit of issue with Champaign, in a very good natured way.

In high school (late '60s) it was the tail end of The Beatles and Zepplin. Pretty much what is now called Classic Rock. It was the time of a bit of social revolution in America. In college the issue was The War.

It is difficult to say what the culture WAS in the youthful years before Disco, except, looking back, it was different than what went before for our parents. It was not just hippies, and pot, and love ins. People were serious. There was revolution in the streets.

I missed some of the late '70's being in law school. Disco hit.

My only real involvement was when my then wife and I went to a Disco ballroom club over on Broadway in Chicago. It certainly it was a poor copy of NYC and LA. It had the mirrored ball and pretty well set up. They were trying to make it into a club with a membership charge.

I can't say anything bad about Disco music except that it HAD NO SOUL - mindlessly happy. Perhaps it reflected the drugs which were part of the culture. At best it was protest against boredom.

I see it as a shortlived and intense cultural icon, preserved in Saturday Night Fever. The fad came and went like Neru jackets (sp) and polyester leasure suits.

Yeah, the music is easy to dance to. I'm waiting for the Walze to come back, too. A girl in your arms rather than two feet away.

Gil

• Moderators

At 49 I also went through disco, it was fun but it couldn't replace rock, for me.

Just came back today from a cruise and went to a " disco " on the boat, It was the only music still going at that time of night. It was not " disco " even worse it was rap for the most part and all the young people dancing thought it was disco. After the third song came on and it sounded just like the first two we were out of there.

• Moderators

Welcome back dtel. What cruise line did you go on?... We went last December on a Royal Caribean cruise and the Disco was wasted space....no one was there. I bet had it been a rock club it would have been PACKED!!!

It was Carnival, the boat was the Fantasy, Cozumel and Costa Maya Mexico. They did have a club with a rock band and they were pretty good but it was the only night the band was off. They also had a 3 piece jazz band and a guy who would play some organ type thing and sing, he was not very good, but really late at night it was just the clubs with music. I thought the disco would be OK, it's fast and will have people dancing but it was not disco by any stretch of the imagination. It was late so we just went up on the top deck for a short time and went back to the room. One evening when in Cozumel we went to Carlos & Charlies and this place was jumping, that's what they need on the ship ! The music there was kind of disco/Caribbean/ ? really different but nice.