Mom's been really sick

customsteve01

Two weeks ago my Mom went into septic shock and spent 7 days in the hospital, 5 in the ICU. She got out of the hospital last Saturday and is having a very slow recovery. I spent the last week or so at there house helping out as much as I can, but I had to come back to work this week, I will be going back up there Christmas week. Would ya'll please put her in your thoughts and prayers and wish her a speedy recovery. She is 73 and also has a chronic lung condition that is not curable (pretty bad for someone that has never smoked in her life). The lung disease is called "MAC disease" I really don't know much about it other than it makes her cough all the time and its really hard for her to catch her breath. The doctors have her on several antibiotics inclueding Prednizon (sp). From what the doctors said all the antibiotics covered up the sympoms of another infection in her colon and it caused her to get Sepsis and then go into Septic Shock. They said she was very close to dying when they brought her into the hospital.

I know that our parents can't be around forever but I would like to keep her around for a while longer. Like I asked please put her in your prayers if you would.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, the Best to you and your Mom in this holiday season. Do and Say, what needs to be said before it's too late, don't wait. tell her how you feel now. I made the mistake of letting both my parents pass-on without clearing somethings up first.After they have gone................It's too late. Best wishes are with you...............................

Thanks for the advise OB. The good thing is that I am really lucky to be really close to both my parents and it seems that they are in the rare few these days that have been married for over 55 years. They are both very religious and very happy with the lives they have lived. We have talked about there passing and what to do "IF" this or that happens. They have drawn up power of attorneys for me to use in the event that they become unable to make decisions on there own. I am very lucky to have my parents as they addopted me when I was only 4 weeks old. I hear way to many stories of people that loose their parents and they are not even on speaking terms, that is just so sad.

Steve

Thanks for the advise OB. The good thing is that I am really lucky to be really close to both my parents and it seems that they are in the rare few these days that have been married for over 55 years. They are both very religious and very happy with the lives they have lived. We have talked about there passing and what to do "IF" this or that happens. They have drawn up power of attorneys for me to use in the event that they become unable to make decisions on there own. I am very lucky to have my parents as they addopted me when I was only 4 weeks old. I hear way to many stories of people that loose their parents and they are not even on speaking terms, that is just so sad.

Steve

I too am adopted, although I never found out until I was 45 years old. There were alot of things that needed to be talked about and never were, and after they leave is way too late. I was not on speaking terms, at all, and it has always bothered me that we never talked things out. It is one mistake I will take to my grave, and I tell others so they don't make the same mistakes I did. You Steve ,seem to be on top of it, Good for You................Peace Bud

Steve,

Best wishes for your mother and your family. I always advise my friends who are facing the suffering or a loss of a loved to get a copy of Final Gifts. It's a wonderful book, written by hospice nuses, that provides a real insight into the dying process and what we can to do comfort and learn from (the "final gifts") those that we are losing. I hope that thoughts of losing your mom are premature but it's never too early to gain the insight from this book. It really is a gift. It helped me understand what was going on when I lost my father. It even helped just yesterday on a medical call with the fire department while we were assisting with the transport an elderly man to the hospital. Everyone should read it.

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Gifts-Understanding-Awareness-Communications/dp/0553378767

Sputnik.

That book looks interesting.

I didn't know you were in the fire service. Are you vol. or paid? I spent 11 years as a vol. in a dept. just North west of Houston. I really miss it too. It was and still is my second family, have some really great lifetime friends from there. I really miss the feeling you get from helping others.

Steve

Steve & Sputnik: I was a (paid) firefighter too, out in Northern Nevada in the late 70s just after my discharge from the Navy. I was hired as a civilian to work as a Federal Employee on the Naval air base at Fallon, where Top Gun is now. I spent the first year fighting structural (building) fires, then transfered to the Crash Crew on the air field for two years. It was a great job, but unfortunately the pay barely paid the bills. Verna and I then moved back east here to Michigan for the higher-paying auto industry jobs. Right! ....now look at them!

I really do miss the fire crews I worked with. They were the best! Like you, I miss helping people and I miss working with the military aircraft. I'm gonna have to get me a copy of that book, too!

-Glenn

Steve & Picky,

I'm on our local volunteer FD. We serve a mixed rural and mountainous area that includes about 30 miles of interstate and railroad, light industry, a few schools, nursing homes, subdivisions, open range and forested areas. If I'd known (back in my twenties) how rewarding and challenging fire service really is, it would've been my career choice hands down. The only thing I can compare it to is that I also ski patrolled (paid and volunteer) for over twenty years. I was able to do some cool stuff and I had my share of near death experiences ski patrolling but working on a fire department is the real world and you get to deal with all of the diversity. I think it's more physically demanding than ski patrolling as well but maybe I'm just older now. We do a few medical calls for elderly people in trouble and I think those are my "favorites". It really feels good to help them. At any time, we might be assisting people during their last moments of life and the book (Final Gifts) that I mentioned above has proven itself several times in my experience.

Again, best wishes for your mom and family Steve.

Steve,

Best wishes and blessings to your Mom, you, and your entire family. Believe me, I know what you're going through. Make sure you or someone close is paying EXTREMELY close attention to doctors and hospital staff. Your mom ABSOLUTELY needs a clear-headed and fully aware advocate.

I want to thank everyone for keeping us in their prayers. Mom is still not doing a whole lot better, but at least she is at home. I just think its going to be a real slow road for her. I will be going back to there house on Christmas. I know she is really looking forward to having our family together for the holiday, I just want her to be able to enjoy it.

Thanks again for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.

Steve