Bah to SVS

damonrpayne

Finally got my system hooked up in my dedicated room. The SVS 20-39pci that I thought was so loud and low in smaller rooms really just whimpers in its new corner of a 20'x25'x9' cavern. [:(] I've got it turned up as loud as I dare both at the receiver and the onboard volume control. Possibly I need to play with placement.

I'm not sure if I want to get an RT-12d or a pair of the THX subs.

Can't argue with physics. That's a huge room. When you change the environment from a small to a large room, the change in sub volume will be dramatic. Can't blame the sub. Look to add an additional or replace.

The difference between a 20-39pci and an RT-12d is great, as is the difference between the RT and a pair of THX's. Each in a different class. You may want to narrow your options or do a little more research.

"You are definately in a null!"

I would agree. Sure the huge room will not help,even in this room you should get satisfactory performance with the subwoofer paced in the optimal spot.

As for major output,there is no going around the fact you will need a vastly more capable sub or multiples. 4500cu ft room,I would use dual Plus series(dual driver) subs.Four 12" woofers should do te trick with ease.

Damon:

I doubt that placement will help. I have the identical sub that I use for a small family room, with my plasma HT. Nice, but does not have the output to fill your size room.

That's why I have the much bigger SVS box downstairs, with two drivers, for the larger basement - and with my primary dedicated system.

I'm sure SVS would recommend more firepower from their arsenal for that room. Of course, a pair of THX subs would also really work nicely.

Carl.

Did you see this link I posted Damon?
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/

I'm not sure which subs are SVS's top dawgs, but the 25-31PC+ maxes out at 105dB and the PB12-Plus/2 maxes out at 110dB.
svs%2025-31pcplus%2020hz%20max.pngsvs%20pb12-plus2%2020hz%20db12.1%20max.p
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/992-svs-25-31pc-20-hz-db12-2-a.html
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/995-svs-pb12-plus-2-20-hz-db12-1-a.html
(Click each picture to see it enlarged, or click the links to see the whole thread and many more measurements)

Recently I've been doing a lot of testing with the audibility of low frequency information and have come to the conclusion that 24Hz and above at sufficient low distortion output levels is more important than sacrificing output for deeper extension. Like I'd rather have an F3 of 24Hz at 120dB rather than an F3 of 16Hz at 114dB. (not that I listen that loud, but that the distortion is going to be much lower at lower levels). I think it's kinda ironic because I remember a Klipsch engineer telling me a while back that they concentrate a lot more on 25+ Hz rather than 20- Hz. I can't really hear solid tones below 24Hz, so the majority of the content below that is going to be felt (apart from the minor changes to the percieved midrange resulting from the "interaction" of multiple frequencies). I dunno...I'm just thinking out loud.

Btw, have you tried walking around the room? Specifically listening to bass heavy material in all of the corners? You're not going to have nulls in every position of the room. Sounds like you need to play with the positioning of everything first.

I must admit to being both amused and frustrated with such a post.

As no reference level is mentioned, we have no idea as to whether we are talking about listening to moderate 80-90dB level music, or demanding the accurate recreation of some National Geographic/Nova special where the sound of a star exploding was recorded from a distance of 20 meters. Does the level need to exceed a continuous 130dB at the listening level? And is that A or C weighted? Who knows! But yet we get to watch as everyone volunteers their own emotional issues.

Without such a reference level, our guesses are moot. The SVS is quite capable, drivin by an adequate amplifier, of putting out quite reasonable SPL levels. Is it sufficient to drive the room at a continuous 130dB? Heavens no! Is it adequate to drive moderate music listening levels? Absolutely!

But just what the need, and what the desired listening level is, is not known to us. But does that stop us? Are you kidding!?

So all one can really say is that if in one room the level is adequate, and in another space it is very anemic, unless there is a functional problem, a room null would be the most likely culprit.

But we have no idea what the required SPL at a particular position is! And lacking such info, as to whether he needs 26.749 Danley DT20 subs, or none at all if one is listening only to Video Professor tutorial CDs, is an issue that you folks are welcome to speculate ad nauseum. But with the lack of reference baseline information provided, a guess of no sub or a guess of 100 subs is equally valid - as we have nothing to compare it to!

Heck, we even have folks dismissing brands based upon a our lack of given specs! Now that demonstrates insight!

But I guess that is a source of humor and frustration on this forum - few think to ask what we are actually trying to achieve and simply assume their own unspecified standards regardless of the situtation - and of course in this situation there is always a simple measure to spec!

Of course he needs "More"!

[*-)]

mas,

I agree,too many times people post and provide no data. In this case it is so vague you can take out the sledgehammer and ask in a polite way WHAT THE F IS THE LEVEL REACHED AT LISTENING POSITION ON PEAKS(using a dB meter).

Not loud enough means nothing. What is loud? To some 90dB...others 100dB.... and deaf people with a deep fried brain 120dB. Define loud,using common measuring units,in this case the all popular DECIBEL.