CONVINCE ME ON KLIPSCH

russ69

Guys,

I need your expert opinions. I've been an audiophile for 35 years and I have assembled many critical listening systems. I would like to know if I'll be satisfied with a pair or Cornwalls or LaScala II's? For some background, I'll be keeping my current critical music system and setting up a new system in my little used living room. To keep things simple I was going to drive them with a small tube integrated and a modest CD player. I have 2 other modest systems (all tube driven) and enjoy each one in their own way. Lately I've been more and more interested in less critical systems that are able to play all my music well rather than have a system that just plays a few recordings extremely well. I'd love your input. Maybe someone that had critical systems and has switched to the more musical side of things.

Thanx,

Russ

Main system: Triangle Celius speakers, Quicksilver mini-monos amps, Cary SLP-98 pre, Cambridge CD.

Second system: Klipsch RF-25, Jolida integrated, Pioneer Elite CD/DVD.

Loudspeaker history: Folded horn coaxial-mono, Bose 901, Infinity 1001A, Infinity column, Infinity Monitor 2A, Infinity RS-2.5.........

I don't know how you could go wrong with either of those choices. Consider this, how many speaker manufactures (old or new) do you know of that have a forum with a die hard following like this one.

But if your skeptical, go give a listen to a pair. I'm sure there's someone on this forum that your not too far away from.

Never heard anything but Heresy's and Cornwall's, but fell in love with my Corny's back in 1983. No regrets whatsoever!

I HIGHLY suggest you sample them if you get the chance. You'll be very pleasantly surprised. The mids/highs are undescribable, and the 3-way system is super efficient. I hear the Cornwall's are better suited for bass response over the LaScala's if you are seeking a full-range sound.

Let's just say when I bought my Cornwall's, my roomate bought a set of Heresy's one week later.

Come back and confirm/deny our comments.

Russ, If you've come looking for someone to validate your interest in Klipsch, you're definitely in the right place. I must confess that I'm a bit confused as to what you are looking for. When I hear "critical" I think "neutral." I'll spare you (and everyone) what my own interpretation of that rather loaded word is, BUT I will say that the Cary SLP98 ain't it! Great pre, don't get me wrong. I had a SLP98p for years and loved it. Still love it as a matter of fact, but it definitely blunts the leading edge a bit more than what I would typically think of as neutral.

Anywho, get some Cornwalls or Scalas and you'll be happy. IMO the Cornwall is a better contender for a speaker that will play "all of your music well" as I found the bass to be a bit more prevalent which, in turn (to me) takes the edge off of the Klipsch tendency to be a bit revealing. That said, there are huge numbers of people in here who dig non-audiophile approved recordings all day long on LaScalas with nary a complaint.

Kev313,

Yes, I've been moving away from the more sterile equipment and leaning towards a more musical sound. The Cary headed me in that direction. That being said, it's a good match with the Triangles because they can be a little lean at times and helped balance the system. But I'm ready for a bigger sweeter sound. Sweet lush tube sound.............. Thanx, your input was excellent.

Thanx,Russ

Guys,

I need your expert opinions. I've been an audiophile for 35 years and I have assembled many critical listening systems. I would like to know if I'll be satisfied with a pair or Cornwalls or LaScala II's?

We don't know. We're not you. [:)]

Kev313,

Yes, I've been moving away from the more sterile equipment and leaning towards a more musical sound. The Cary headed me in that direction. That being said, it's a good match with the Triangles because they can be a little lean at times and helped balance the system. But I'm ready for a bigger sweeter sound. Sweet lush tube sound.............. Thanx, your input was excellent.

Thanx,Russ

I don't know what your thoughts on keeping the Treeongles are, but that Cary on Cornwalls, a combo I've much experience with, could be just what you are looking for. Find some local Cornwalls (I'm sure you'll find someone here who will gladly have you over for a listen) and bring your Cary.

Kev313,

Shall I dare go to a set amp or am I too green to try two big jumps at once?

Thanx,Russ

***covering head and wincing***

Well...you're new here but will soon see that that question brings some rather...err...strong opinions. In about 5 min. (or less) one of the PushPull crowd will tell you that you won't hear what the Heritage line is capable of if you listen with a SET. Opinions differ, of course, and many here enjoy a good 2a3, 45, or 300b on their Klipsch.

I think your best bet is to make your evaluations one change at a time. Start with gear you know on the Klipsch speakers. Then move from there. If you have questions about specific SET amps, you will find the crew here to be a valuable resource as a large number have been used and discussed.

You brought up the LaScala II which implies a new purchase. With that as a price point you aren't TOOOOOOOOO far from looking at a Jubilee (perhaps 50%?)

109 db/w and 2 way. do a search on Jubilee & start reading. with that kind of sensativity, it'll handle SET stuff very nicely and it'll also handle higher powered amps & simply part your hair if ya want it too.

Russ,

Just go out and buy a pair of fair priced Cornwalls or LaScala II's and give them a tryout. You won't have any problem getting your money back fast on either. In all fairness I lean heavily towards the Cornwalls. Very versatile and direct. Like about any kind of power. Best "bang" for the buck. All audio is a personal taste. Keep what you like and forum the rest.

HarryO

Depends on what your looking for, Good Looks and sounds, Go Cornwall, if you like plain, and big, and good sounds,g o La Scala's,.....Ever consider Khorns???? or as Coytee just happen to mention, the Jubilee...............Lots of choices...........Personally, whatever you choose,if you choose Klipsch you will be happy..................if not, Sell 'em....................

I am in Riverside, not too far from Palmdale eh? I am running a pair of CWII through a VTL Ultamate pre and a Sonic Frontiers power 1 tube amps. I would be happy to have you over to take a listen. The room is small and has not been tweaked in any way but I do like what I listen to. I can't talk "audio snob" but I am very fluent in good sound. There are several other Klipsch owners here in So Cal.

Russ -- I understand completely your predicament. I, too, obsess over fidning that perfect system that plays ALL my faorite kinds of music well. It's a b*tch to find a pair of speakers that do folk well, but that can't handle rock.

As far as Klipsch go, the nice thing is that you can tinker and tune the heck out of them. There's a gentleman here, Dean, who builds crossovers, and another who builds Trachorns to try on top of LaScalas, K-horns, Belles, etc... plenty you can do to "tweak" them!

I just sold a pair of Fostex fullrange drivers to concentrate on making my K-horn hybrids sound better. I had a pair of LaScalas, and they were too "forward" for my taste. None of the "lush" tube sound I was looking for even though I had it with my Fostex, Velez 300B amp, and Bottlehead preamp. I picked up a pair of k-horn bass cabinets and Altec 511 horns w/drivers, and the system sounded better. I picked up a pair of Yamaha electronic crossovers, set them at 500Hz, and bi-amped with solid state on the bottom and the 300B amp on top -- much better still. Nevertheless, rock still sounds edgy when it's cranked up. Maybe it's my room, or possibly just the Altec drivers -- I am going to try some Edgar trachorns or see if I can source some different diaphragms for my Altecs. Jazz, folk, old Motown, and classical all sound great the way things are, but pop in a rock CD and the louder passages get really ringy.

I would also suggest that you audition some speakers locally, unless you're like me and don't mind rolling the dice if the deal is right. Maybe watch your local craigslist listings and see what pops up. If you buy them right, you'll always get your money back out of them if they're not for you!

Good luck!