What Do You Tip The Delivery Guy For Pizza, Chinese, etc?

meagain

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tips in the UK are interesting. I've tried to tip in London dinners using a charge card - they don't get it - they run it through first so you can't tip unless they run it through again separately just for the tip, then shrug it off as too inconvenient. I tipped in a big hotel for meals for weeks until I realized the gratuity was part of the charge (I tipped on the gratuity charge as well!) In Ireland they have solved the problem of tipping by paying the people that wait on you - there is no such thing as a tip in Ireland and if you offer one they will refuse it (maybe its unlawfull?).

In the States I tip $2 minimum if I get a smile, even for just coffee.

Europe has a different system where there really is no tipping. Its configured into the bill I believe

In Ca, the sales tax is about 7.5 to 8.5 % depending on the county you are in. As a starting point for tips, I double the tax (15 to 17% tip) as a starting point on the tip. My minimum is a buck.... even for a cup of coffee.

As to the point of having people BRING YOU FOOD TO YOUR HOUSE! You can get that? I live a little off the "beaten path" and there is no such thing as that here!

There is, I think, a misperception of what goes on in many of these situations. The waitstaff or delivery people are the least able to improve "service" in most situations.

For example, if someone on the shift of the waitstaff or delivery crew doesn't show up, the rest have more tables to serve and things bog down. The kitchen can slow down for similar reasons.

Granted, the customers get cranky. But it is unrealistic that the staff will "learn a lesson" by low tips. The situation is out of their control.

Gil

Agreed Gil...

Wouldn't it be nice if establishments paid a suitable wage to begin with and eliminated the practice which, in a most places is outdated by the reason above, and in the majority of others simply results in pooled tips being evenly distributed - totally contradicting the initial premise for their existence. Socialized individual incentive...[:(]

Here's a little food for thought .

I've been waiting tables for 21 years and in the biz for 23 years . When I started waiting tables in early 86 the hourly wage here in SC was $2.01 an hour . Now in 07 the wage is $2.13 an hour . Hmm , .12 increase in the last 21 years .

Something is seriously wrong with that !

• Moderators

I've been waiting tables for 21 years and in the biz for 23 years . When I started waiting tables in early 86 the hourly wage here in SC was $2.01 an hour . Now in 07 the wage is $2.13 an hour . Hmm , .12 increase in the last 21 years .

Not really. Why should the restaurant pay more. A good waiter working one shift a day, five days a week, will usually make more than the manager working twice the hours, and they expect monkeys to jump out of the mgr's butt daily for little money. I had to inventory food and make a food order three times a week, balance the books and keep up with 80 employees and their hours and paychecks. Make sure everybody did there job and make sure the place looked good, that's just the basics expected.

Although unless I get terrible service I always tip 25% to 30%, why because after working in that business for a few years I know how hard a waiter or waitress has to work.

Many times as a manager the waitresses after a shift would come in my office and dump a pile of money on my desk and say please count it and give me larger bills. There shift was 4 to 6 hours, mine was at least 12, they made more than me in a week, every week. I loved my job but after a couple of years of working 80 to 90 hours a week, never a day off, I decided no money is worth it.

Don't mean to sound like a smarta$$ Sunburn, I know how hard it is with some customers but it is a fun job most of the time.

You still dating hot chicks? That last one was smoking.

Not really. Why should the restaurant pay more. A good waiter working one shift a day, five days a week, will usually make more than the manager working twice the hours, and they expect monkeys to jump out of the mgr's butt daily for little money. I had to inventory food and make a food order three times a week, balance the books and keep up with 80 employees and their hours and paychecks. Make sure everybody did there job and make sure the place looked good, that's just the basics expected.

Although unless I get terrible service I always tip 25% to 30%, why because after working in that business for a few years I know how hard a waiter or waitress has to work.

Many times as a manager the waitresses after a shift would come in my office and dump a pile of money on my desk and say please count it and give me larger bills. There shift was 4 to 6 hours, mine was at least 12, they made more than me in a week, every week. I loved my job but after a couple of years of working 80 to 90 hours a week, never a day off, I decided no money is worth it.

Don't mean to sound like a smarta$$ Sunburn, I know how hard it is with some customers but it is a fun job most of the time.

Gosh Mr. DTEL , you had to count the waitresses money ?! I sense a bitter manager [:(] , I've encountered a few of those myself . But seeing as how you worked 80 to 90 hours a week I can see why ! "Who the heck did you work for ? Thats absurd , theres only 168 hours in a week !!!"

I believe the cost of living has gone up a bit in the last 21 years don't you ? As far as making more money than my managers . With the exception of the general manager , I do . Hey we all chose our paths . It's not my fault that your boss would not pay you a competitive wage anymore than it's your fault that my base pay has only gone up 12 CENTS IN 21 YEARS . I would bet you got money back at tax time . Care to guess how much I owe ? I'll give you a hint , in 2006 my W2 shows that only $9.00 was taken out for state taxes ?!

Damn , now I sound bitter , AND I AM !!! "This time of year ." [st]

Back on topic though delivery people are an entirely different situation . They make at least minnimum wage and probably don't have to report much if any of their tips . Heck if you look at the pizza commercials on tv . When is the last time you saw a customer tipping the delivery person for those 3 medium unlimited topping pizzas that they just got for next to nothing ? The pizza companies should throw a little tipping info into their adds ...

You still dating hot chicks? That last one was smoking.

Your right , the last one was smokin' , but she was a school teacher so thats besides the point . [:P]

• Moderators

" Gosh Mr. DTEL , you had to count the waitresses money ?! I sense a bitter manager Sad , I've encountered a few of those myself . But seeing as how you worked 80 to 90 hours a week I can see why ! "Who the heck did you work for ? Thats absurd , theres only 168 hours in a week !!!"

I believe the cost of living has gone up a bit in the last 21 years don't you ? As far as making more money than my managers . With the exception of the general manager , I do . Hey we all chose our paths . It's not my fault that your boss would not pay you a competitive wage anymore than it's your fault that my base pay has only gone up 12 CENTS IN 21 YEARS . I would bet you got money back at tax time . Care to guess how much I owe ? I'll give you a hint , in 2006 my W2 shows that only $9.00 was taken out for state taxes ?! "

Hey i'm not " Mr " dtel...............No I wasen't bitter, just burn't out . [:S]

No, I didn't have to count their tips, just did anything to help. I would help everybody in the store, they knew it, it happened every day. All I expected them to do was there job, as well as they could, if they were trying I was there best friend. And I always treated them with respect , just the opposite of what my district manager wanted, he was one of those people who thought you must be hard on people and threaten them to get them to work. It really ticked him off that everybody at three different stores liked me and wanted to work at my store.

When I quit I gave them a 2 week notice and on my last day all my employees gave me a surprise party after the store closed, my wife was surprised when I came home with a bunch of presents.

The main reason for quiting was the hours you had to work for little pay. Yes if i got out of there with only 80 hours a week I was very lucky. I never seen my house in the daylight or my kids awake for 3 years, no amount of money was worth that.

The hours were so bad for the managers that a few years after I quit i was contacted by a law firm saying I had moved and they didn't have my new address, and was sorry to let me know I was to late to join the class action lawsuit that was started by other managers from many of the other stores.

As much as I liked the restaurant business I will never go back.

It takes a lot of patience and hard work to do what you do, it's the most important job in the business, you are what gives the customer the impression of the store more than even the food. People will put up with average food but not poor service, over and over.

I think the pay for a waitress was $2.13 back then, never could figure out how they came up with that.

If you think about it you are correct, you should be paid more, 99% of the time the waitress or waiter is the only employee to even talk to the customer, unless there is a problem, and then it's too late for a good impression.

I've never tipped for picking up takeout. I've never heard of the concept.

I have a problem with the concept of having a "musician that visits table" let alone tipping them. Unless I ask for the service.

The local Dunkin Donuts has a tip jar at the pickup window. I think it's ridiculous. If they should be tipped, then why not the checkout clerk at Walmart, etc. Besides, they always screw up the order.

And yeah, I hate when those musicians come over and suck around, and won't leave even though you obviously don't want them around. Some of them won't leave until you pay them to go away. The same goes for belly dancers. And even worse than musicians, I hate the morons that try to sell you a flower to give to your date, and expect 5 or 10 bucks for 1 rose that you don't want in the first place. Then there's the photographers with the Polaroid cameras who take your photo and then say it costs 10 bucks after you accept it.

I've never tipped for picking up takeout. I've never heard of the concept.

I have a problem with the concept of having a "musician that visits table" let alone tipping them. Unless I ask for the service.

The local Dunkin Donuts has a tip jar at the pickup window. I think it's ridiculous. If they should be tipped, then why not the checkout clerk at Walmart, etc. Besides, they always screw up the order.

it works, when say you pay rounding up to the next dollar, people usually see change and go put it in the tip cup

And yeah, I hate when those musicians come over and suck around, and won't leave even though you obviously don't want them around. Some of them won't leave until you pay them to go away. The same goes for belly dancers. And even worse than musicians, I hate the morons that try to sell you a flower to give to your date, and expect 5 or 10 bucks for 1 rose that you don't want in the first place. Then there's the photographers with the Polaroid cameras who take your photo and then say it costs 10 bucks after you accept it.

oh I just reread this statement. I just thought you meant the flower people on the street that try to sell you a boquet of flowers. I have sympathy for them, especially when the weather turns cold or hot.