Fuses...more snake-oil or a genuine tweak?

jt1stcav

In the February issue of Stereophile, Michael Fremer mentions in his Analog Corner column about tweaks on the cheap. One such bargain tweak is replacing your component's stock/generic RadioShack glass fuses with those from HiFi Tuning in Germany; distributed by The Cable Company (www.fatwyre.com). These $30 uber-fuses of various values have silver filaments, ceramic bodies, and gold-plated silver terminations, and he swears he hears a subtle but marked improvement in smoothness and consistency in the components which use 'em.

Personally, I think he's nuts and just wants to hear better overall sonics. C'mon now...this is a fuse for cryin' out loud! How can a "wunderfuse" improve sound? I've never heard mention of a lowly fuse degrade the sonics of any equipment, not to my knowledge.

Or am I the one that's crazy in thinking better fuses through research is a bunch of moose turds?

Your thoughts, please...

Some folks can tell a difference in the sound if they by pass the fuse with cooper wire, so yeah, I would expect that those folks would probally want a designer fuse that sounds better but still providing some protection.

The government has gone after the vitamin & diet pill industry for bogus dealings...Now is the time to go after the Audio snake oil crooks that have takin over the this industry...Since when does a gold plated fuse or a $100,000 two ton turntable improve the sound of a 180 gram LP record.... Also $25,000 to $50,000 preamp (phono extra)(Krell Evolution)...extract any thing better than what we use on this forum.. We need to put things in perspective....None will sound as good as a real orchestra...NOTHING.

The government has gone after the vitamin & diet pill industry for bogus dealings...Now is the time to go after the Audio snake oil crooks that have takin over the this industry...Since when does a gold plated fuse or a $100,000 two ton turntable improve the sound of a 180 gram LP record.... Also $25,000 to $50,000 preamp (phono extra)(Krell Evolution)...extract any thing better than what we use on this forum.. We need to put things in perspective....None will sound as good as a real orchestra...NOTHING.

Thank You very much Sir.........My feelings EXACTALLY.......I get taken to task alot for those feelings.......I don't care.......No matter how good one thinks equipment sounds, it's still REPRODUCTION.....................

I've tried alot of tweeks in my time, but this is a new one. I don't think I'll be trying this one. Moose Turd? My vote is horse hockey!!!.. Anybody who considers themselves a 'real' man knows that the only proper way to complete the circuit left by the old fuse is by using ones own tongue. It will light up the music and a whole lot more. I've also learned some good dance steps with this procedure.....

Dave

(Michael Fremer) swears he hears a subtle but marked improvement in smoothness and consistency in the components which use 'em.

That's saying it's hard to detect but clearly evident. So which one is it?

My bad, Paul (my memory ain't what it used to be). Mr. Fremer said, and I quote,

"...damn if they didn't seem to produce a subtle but noticeable improvement in smoothness and coherence."

I've tried alot of tweeks in my time, but this

is a new one. I don't think I'll be trying this

one. Moose Turd? My vote is horse hockey!!!..

Anybody who considers themselves a 'real' man knows that the only

proper way to complete the circuit left by the old fuse is by using

ones own tongue. It will light up the music and a whole lot

more. I've also learned some good dance steps with this

procedure.....

Dave

Good one Dave, I'll leave the proper response to fini.

And I'm sure Gregg will come up with something tongue-in-cheek!

If this was even remotely possible (that quality fuses can improve sonics), then would we be better off buying NOS 50 year old American fuses, or are the present Chinese and Russian fuses good enough?

Hmmm...