It's GOOD to be home...

Mallette

It was good to be home. Id been away for far too long and the vicissitudes of travel through the outer world had taken their toll. Whether the barbarians of the hinterlands or the shallow dilatants of the cities, I yearned for the comradeship and security of my own kind. The landing at Klipsch International was a bit bumpy as some sort of digitalist terrorist threat to unleash a virus had raised security levels and the portals were seriously clogged. The customs official gave me a quick onceover, but his obviously practiced eye immediately determined that I was unlikely to be carrying illegal bose or anything else in suspension. Finally, I was through the portal and standing on the street. I needed none of the gewgaws and gadgets in the commercial sector, so I jumped into my Explorer and headed straight for the Forum.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Id been away so long that I took the long road home through the Theatre District. Nothing much had changed there. Sheriff Ungers car passed with lights a blazing, undoubtedly en route to separate some vicious attack by partisans of one philosophy or the other. It was raucous, incredibly loud and the senses were constantly assaulted from all directions. Brilliant lights flashed with images of all description, including some of questionable tasteYikes! Everywhere touts tried to drown each other out with the virtues of the experience they offered. More channels than ever before! Well, I yet to evolve past two ears, thank God, so I moved on. I vowed not to return unless there was something good playing at Eqshadimars, the only really respectable place in town.

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />TechTown was buzzing with the recent discovery of a vast trove of NOS cold-war era tubes and the effect it would have on the market. The sages were on their soapboxes as always, and the advice they freely handed out to anyone who would listen was the same, as always.

The most devoted of the auld school denizens where gathered at the Pilgrimage. Before the great shrine they hawked and traded their precious wears, occasionally entering the shrine to offer thanks the Legend for the gifts He provided them. From experience, I knew that a few of them secretly doubted the Legends admonishment that Cord of Zip was sufficient pathway to all things good and beautiful, and that the Triune way produced a superior image of truth to that of the Duality, but most kept these heresies to themselves, at least in while in the Virtual Presence. Though few in number, I had enormous respect for these faithful and had often felt the desire to make the Pilgrimage myself as penance for my frequent lapses into the surround heresy with its stench of digital supremacist dogma and frequent threats of format cleansing. Enough, already. I pointed my trusty, but often balky, Explorer towards the suburbs near the river. Traditional, convivial, and cordial homes in an established neighborhood of oh, so responsible neighbors. Heresy is rather rare here, as most have long since embraced the great heritage passed down by their fathers, pure and intact.

I settled into my old spot and breathed in the clean air of the languid stream. I could hear the sound of Delta blues emanating from Martins. There was also a muffled, somewhat panicky, sound of a pleading voice. Could the Twins be back and up to their old tricks? Occasional sounds of hammer against metal suggested that Craig was banging the dents out of yet another tired old chassis. Overhead, a parrot circled, waiting to dive upon some pest with the bad judgment to enter our refuge. Yepem, home again. I flipped the switch and the warm glow of tubes radiated their timeless pure light. I was soon lost in the rapturous arms of Bachs Cantata 121 as the Sunday afternoon drifted along with pretensions of eternity.

Yes, its GOOD to be home

Well Dave.....I don't know what to say to that..... but thats never stopped me from commenting before....so I will just say that you certainly have superior writing skills and are a talented wordsmith. Plus I think you have a handle on this forum. There are a lot of talented and generous folks and much diversity here....as long as it's Klipsch...but then again we occasionally allow folks to ask questions about ESS speakers or comment about Vandersteen or even Martin Logans.

So I say to you.....Welcome home. I wasn't even here yet when you left but I am glad you came back. Now tell me....where is Duke Spinner...it seems he just packed up his avatar and went home!

Chuck

I'm chagrined, confabulated, floozled, flummoxed, perturbed,
panicked, distraught, disturbed, edified, educated, morose, melancohly,
bedazzled and bested by the finest writer on the forum.

Fini's
better at humor and Mallette's better at writing and everybody's
better with the technical stuff. I think I'll just slink
off and go knash my teeth and beat my breast, wallow in pain, suffer
recriminations.......

Wow, Jeffers, what a nice deal! I wasn't a bit thrown by the rear firing surrounds. After all, sound from the rear is always indirect anyway. I finally got a 36" HD that now resides over my center Cornwall. Awesome picture (by my standards, anyway) and makes a great display for the Media Center computer. I can read the Forum from the sofa...

Thanks for the invite...you never know.

Regards,

Dave

• 6 years later...

Thebes reference to our bus trip through the Delta that steamy night so long ago reminded me of this post his imagery cause me to write. I'd been on a sabbatical from the Forum for months for reasons I do not recall. I believe it's the first time I referred to Ms. Amy as "the sheriff" as she'd really just begun to make everyone check their gun,, religion, and politics at the portal. The references remain good as the issues of then remain the same, only the participants have changed. I miss eq_shadimar, Tarheel, Parrot, Mobilehomeless, the ol' Buckster, and so many more who've left is for one reason or the other.

Thankfully, the mighty pen of Thebes remains and, while always bringing a smile, also brings thoughtful contemplation and reflection. The Twins? Not so much...[:-*]

Perhaps best, though, is the continued presence of the Sheriff, who is slow to anger and whose actions are beyond reproach. If this Forum were still here at all, it would not be, as it is, the finest audio family on the planet. We have our moments, but just the thought that Amy is watching is adequate to keep it civil while in no way limiting one's ability to express.

Thank you, mam, and Sir Marty, and all of you.

Dave

Still awed by your writing on this thread Dave. However, you left one thing out:

sex.

Try this for an opening:

It was good to be home. Let's face it I'd thought Velma was the answer. Hell in the arms of Velma, I'd forgot there was a question to ask. She had bedroom eyes, a dancers gams, a redhead with freckles and a taste for sheer teddies and shiny jewelry. She drained me, drained my wallet and left me with a deep soul sapping yearning that I thought I never lose.It was clear I'd been way for far too long...

I am so confused by this thread. We felt the need to bring a thread back from 2007 where Dave waxed poetically about something none of us understood the first time around? What is up with this Sheriff stuff? There is a constant referral to guns drawn and blazing and I have never seen Amy act in no such manner. Ok, she has beaten me on an occasion or two but that was with a belt... and Mdeneen immediately objected to corporal punishment of children.

Crikey, Robert, calm down. It was all a mind image, a bit of fun, some poetic license largely insperied by but a poor imitation of might Thebes. Since I don't have a problem saying as much, please just ignore it.

Some of us live a very rich fantasy life and enjoy it. I dream all night in vivid detail and am not so sure wakening up is an improvement. When I read my own bit of fluff I clearly visualize the world I described. I apologize for night being able to pen it in terms that work for you.

If you don't understand Cord of Zip and the Triune way, try to relax a bit and let your mind go. Or not.

Dave

PS - As to the "Sheriff," it's a loving term I placed on Amy for, in my opinion, possibly saving this entire forum from death. Just like in old Dodge City, she brought law, order, and justice to this place and made it the finest audio forum and family on the planet. JMHO. BTW, I missed the "guns drawn and blazing" part. Never seen her fire a shot in anger.

What is up with this Sheriff stuff? There is a constant referral to guns drawn and blazing and I have never seen Amy act in no such manner. Ok, she has beaten me on an occasion or two but that was with a belt... and Mdeneen immediately objected to corporal punishment of children.

I think he got it Dave. Plus the Deneen quip is pretty brilliant.