Best DVD's, etc... to demo your setup?

TheKillerTomato

When the friends and family come over to see the results of your "throwing away money on that ridiculous home theater hobby," what do you show them to make them shut up?

Of late, I use the podracing scene on Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. It used to be the Matrix scene where Neo and Trinity break into the skyscraper to rescue Morpheus. I also DVR'd the gunfight at the end of Open Range when it came on HDNET - it's really nice.

Your ideas?

I never had a specific item as I always asked them what THEY like (or perhaps brought with them). With that qualifier out there, what I now find myself graviting towards is putting in the "Big Phat Band" and cranking it up. (2 channel). If they have a preference, I'll use what ever their preference is however, before they leave, I'll stick in the BPB at least once.

same here...did someone show you that when you were looking at Home Theater stuff at one time...I always have a warm spot for Christopher Cross, Ride like the Wind as it was demo'ed to me when buying my first pair of speakers...same for that scene in Matrix...

Nice scene is the Bastogne' episode in Band of Brothers...when they get mortared just after one build a small fire...I heard the rockets come all around me and my older brother who was watching me when I heard this for the first time said it really startled me...so...it seems to be my "go to" scene!

Bill

I use four shorts from Pixar. Knick Knack, For the Birds, Mater and the Ghostlight, and One Man Band. Excellent video and sound to show off the theater. Burned them to a custom "demo only" DVD.

I use the shorts because several times the "guests" wanted to see more of the movie after the demo scene was over. The 5-7 minute short clips give them a taste without obligating me to an entire evening...[:S]

As already posted, the incredibles has great separation, the Pod Racing in Episode I is phenominal in almost every aspect and Saving Private Ryan is great too. The part Ireally like about Saving Private Ryan is how Spielburg uses dynamics to draw in the viewer where Tom Hanks is momentarily deaf from explosions, good speakers make all the difference with these movies.

The Cream Reunion. Turn it up and set the sub to the correct level.

JACK and GINGER really shine ...................... ERIC CLAPTON ......... Parts of that disc, at the right volume, are down right EVIL, they are so good, Beware of Old Dogs with teeth................They Bite......................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey all, for really amazing superb hi fidelity audiophile grade material, check out Ray Charles"Genius loves company" on Monster Dual disc( I know, monster sucks but this really kicks serious butt). tracks are in DD 5.1, Dts 96/24(best) and HI RES stereo.

Best thing too is that the material is just wicked....honestly this is one smoking disc....OUCH!!

Pearl Harbour (DTS track) Battle scenes.... Behind Enemy Lines - Pilot execution at high volume, sounds like a real pistol shot, very nice decay... The Bourne Identity, shotgun blasts ( tank explosion, & shots in the field with birds.

Most people are frightened at how real it sounds when there is a high SPL effect like the above. Especially ones that praise HTIB systems. ( horrible trinket in a box )[:)]

Most people are frightened at how real it sounds when there is a high SPL effect like the above.

i would have to agree. my GF almost always says, "it's too loud"during action movies, at which point i always argue that it's not any louder than in the movies. in fact, i believe it's lower than movies. i forget what reference level is for movies. 80db average SPL?

anyway, her rebutal is always, "but we're not in the movies" ... then i tell her she better stop or i'm going to find a new girlfriend. :)

i think the expectation for most people watching movies at home is that it's just not going to be as loud and real, so when it is loud it makes people uncomfortable. however, when they're at the movies they expect it to be loud, so that makes it ok.

i'll never understand. i always expect movie sound. :)