Crites tweeters?

gonzp

I am wondering if anyone has done an A/B between the K-77/alinco round tweeters with the Crites tweeters.  Actually I have got  pair's of the K-77 round, and square magnet tweeters and I also have a pair of Bob't tweets  I am currently running my ALK Jr's from Dean on the +4 -1 taps for an attenuation level of -7.4 db on the squalker.  I like the midrange in this configuration but the tweeter just does not seem to be out in front where I think it should be.  I do have the Z- brackets.  I guess I am looking for a little more juice from the tweets.  Suggestions?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you and meagain should swap tweeters, she's got some that are waaay out front.;)

All of those tweeters are about the same in sensitivity. If you want "more tweeter" then you are either going have to EQ or go to a slightly more sensitive tweeter. Some actually run something like the JBL 2404 with no attenuation. Really though, you are running those squakwers right now at about the same level as a Type A on tap 3, and you should be hearing quite a bit of tweeter.

There a few different types of K-77/alinco round tweeters .

The one you have is probally the klipsch installed version with the round magnet.

There is an older version with a larger round magnet that has a flat cap on the magnet assembly. Often seen on ebay with chrome horns. Looks like a min T-350. This version has a frequency response to 19khz. Not to be confused with the T35B which has a simular structure but is smaller.

If you are OK with mounting your tweeter on top of your cabs....you could try an EV st-350 baby check. Less expensive than the JBL baby check, but better sounding than the standard T-35/K-77.

An then there is the T-350. The absolute king of tweeters in this line from EV.

Oh, and there is the "double-magnet" modification. Taking a magnet assy from an ST-350 (square ceramic type...there is also a round cermamic type but that uses 3 screws instead of 4) and putting it on the horn of a K-77/T-35.

I can post pic's of each, if your are intrested.

I am wondering if anyone has done an A/B between the K-77/alinco round tweeters with the Crites tweeters. Actually I have got pair's of the K-77 round, and square magnet tweeters and I also have a pair of Bob't tweets I am currently running my ALK Jr's from Dean on the +4 -1 taps for an attenuation level of -7.4 db on the squalker. I like the midrange in this configuration but the tweeter just does not seem to be out in front where I think it should be. I do have the Z- brackets. I guess I am looking for a little more juice from the tweets. Suggestions?

I tried the Crites tweeters in my Corwalls for a few days. I went back to the old, chrome T-35s, as the Crites tweeters were way too "forward" sounding for me--they sounded shrill. But they might be PERFECT for you!!! It's all a matter of taste, you know . . . .

I'm not sure  which tweeters these round magnet's are. They are not chromred horns though.  I have had the Crites tweet in my Scalas and they are nowhere near shrill in my opinion.  They present themselves very nicely in the Scalas.I hope that the pictures I uploaded come through.... We'll see

post-17366-13819325117308_thumb.jpg

This is the chrome T-35. The Klipsch version has a Klipsch sticker instead of the red EV logo. I think this is the best sounding version of the T-35 (I have owned speakers with both the later small alnico magnet and the even later square magnet). Of course this is only my opinion and I listen to jazz .

attachment.php?attachmentid=14712&stc=1&. .

recently got a pair of the new replacement tweets that bob offers (not a rebuild, but a whole unit) he states the differance on his sales i cant recall, but i like the crites tweets they have more detail, a little more forward..........i have the original alk set on X and 4 with my k-horns i also put all silver wire on the k-horns.....i get a good deal of detail on the whole spectrum now where the highs use to get lost they are now defined

joe

I tried the Crites tweeters in my Corwalls for a few days. I went back to the old, chrome T-35s, as the Crites tweeters were way too "forward" sounding for me--they sounded shrill. But they might be PERFECT for you!!! It's all a matter of taste, you know . . . .

My reaction was the same as Allan's. I could always hear them separately and they didn't blend for me. Their dispersion seemed different from the midrange's. Some thought it was an incompatibility with the AK-4 crossover or that they might have been out of phase, a point I didn't follow up on.

I did not think they had low output.

Really, the K-77s vary quite a bit in their output. You can find some hotter than the CT125 and some come in behind the CT125. I think all the CT125s are about equal in output.

Bob Crites

THAT I believe! I have 2 pairs of k-77-m's here that sound and look on a graph very different from each other in the same speaker/same x-over. One pair runs 3db+ hotter in one area than the other. I bet if I grabbed up all the k-77's in the house, I'd see these differences. IMO, experiencing such tweeter hell, I can't go by anyone's opinions because I really believe they vary. Then, add the different x-overs which can increase/decrease db in a certain area..... All those db changes add up. Bonus points for those that can change their squawker taps... What taps are they on? That has an effect too. It's a laundry list IMO. I'm also curious if anyone has ever rediaphragm'd a pair of tweeters for kicks even when it was working fine and tested it. I.e.; what would happen to a 30 year old tweeter that worked fine if refurbed? I wonder if they go out of spec with age like caps. OR - they came out of the factory all higglety pigglety. I've learned unless 'everything' is equal 100% to what I have, then I can't go by opinion.

I hope the squawkers aren't like that. $$$

My reaction was the same as Allan's. I could always hear them separately and they didn't blend for me. Their dispersion seemed different from the midrange's. Some thought it was an incompatibility with the AK-4 crossover or that they might have been out of phase, a point I didn't follow up on.

I did not think they had low output.

Of course, its all a matter of personal preference. But, I would tend to agree that running regular volumes, Bob's tweeters are so clean that they could be construed as being "too forward" or not blending with the rest of the Heritage speaker. The secret for me was to attentuate them some - either by using an L-pad or with attenuators. I have Bob's tweeters about 7 db down from the regular level (on an ALK, Sr.), and they blend perfectly once attentuated. It just helps to take them down a notch or two. After all, PWK thought that we live in the midrange, and I've always thought that Klipsch tweeters were run too hot anyway - even with the stock networks.

Carl.

I'm running an all Heresy Home Theater with Bob Crites crossovers on the four Mains and Surrounds but my Center was DeanGs with his crossover and Bob Crites Tweeter...sounds sweet, clean and clear...but I use the Home Theater for Movies...haven't tried it on music...

Bill