How fast is an F1 car?

sputnik

How fast would a NEXTEL car be without restricter plates ???????????? Funny, NHRA passes rules to slow the cars down, and those guys figure out how to go faster...............and don't complain, just set records............minor note....Mark Martin got hosed, NASCAR is a joke, where was the yellow flag? After a week end of enforcing the rules, what happened to the rules at the end of the race????????? Stay tuned.................

How fast would a NEXTEL car be without restricter plates ???????????? Funny, NHRA passes rules to slow the cars down, and those guys figure out how to go faster...............and don't complain, just set records......

They only use the plates on two tracks. Plate racing is just another way to race. Positioning, drafting, and pit efficiency play a bigger role. You have to rely on your brain more instead of the horsepower.

How fast would a NEXTEL car be without restricter plates ???????????? Funny, NHRA passes rules to slow the cars down, and those guys figure out how to go faster...............and don't complain, just set records......

They only use the plates on two tracks. Plate racing is just another way to race. Positioning, drafting, and pit efficiency play a bigger role. You have to rely on your brain more instead of the horsepower.

OK, then what would lap speeds be today without the plates..........225-230 mph easily..........Plate racing takes away an advantage the best teams have and makes them all equal...........that's not racing.........If I have the Best driver, the Best engine, the Best chassis set-up, the Best pit crew, I should win..........not put on a plate to make us equal.................POPPY KOCK...........Let 'em Race....................

That is the problem. One reason why the big blocks were banned. Nascar would have to go to smaller engines like 302's maybe or even smaller like F1 eventually did and Nascar doesn't want the race cars sounding like lawn mowers so they used restrictor plates. Then again the car companies would have to manufacture the new engines.

JJK

Big Blocks were banned because nobody could beat Petty and the HEMI..............Let's see what happens this week-end, first time NEXTEL cars use UNleaded gas............Better choices , in my opinion, to change racing..............gear changes, fuel like us normal drivers use, get rid of the Carb's and let them use Fuel Injection, cut compression ratio from 14 to 1....to 12 to 1, just a few ways to change things up...........the 351 cubic inch rule is fine by me..............get rid of the plates, and let's race........................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The F1 cars really don't have all that much of a speed advantage. The fastest recorded speed of an F1 car that followed regulations is 232mph. This is comparable to what a high end card like a Ford GT or a Ferrari Enzo can do. The F1 cars find their biggest advantage in the corners, where their large tires, light weight, and heavy downforce give them the traction to hit the corners faster than a MotoGP bike. They also have a considerable acceleration advantage owing to their light weight, great traction, and considerable horsepower.

Big Blocks were banned because nobody could beat Petty and the HEMI..............Let's see what happens this week-end, first time NEXTEL cars use UNleaded gas............Better choices , in my opinion, to change racing..............gear changes, fuel like us normal drivers use, get rid of the Carb's and let them use Fuel Injection, cut compression ratio from 14 to 1....to 12 to 1, just a few ways to change things up...........the 351 cubic inch rule is fine by me..............get rid of the plates, and let's race........................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"fuel like us normal drivers use"...yeah, it would be nice if Something in those cars faintly resembled cars that real people drive!

One wonders why they even stick with mock semi-copies of actual car model bodies. They seem more like a parody to me.

And since they bear so little resemblance to any real car commercially available, one wonders why they don't simply let them race, and if one team can come up with a combination that is 20 times faster than the others, great. But if we go there, it would be nice to see them on a semi-road course where they can discover what turning right is all about on a real track sized for the speed where they can actually pass (even if it was simply a large wide figure 8 - and we will avoid the intersection at the crossover ;-), instead of sticking them on the tiny road courses that necessitates them going single file with tight chicanes and jogs that result in them basically taking a semi cross country straight line through them rather than going 25 mph....

Either let them race or bring back the old days with allot more bumping using cars that actually exist (and metal bodies that give off sparks!)

If I want Can-Am GTP, I will watch the GTP cars - only I wish they too were on large scale tracks that actually allowed them to wind out and to run parallel and pass, instead of the overly restrictive tight road courses where passing is determined as much by the course restrictions as by the driving.

[;)]

Point one....................NEXTEL are all rear wheel drive...............most models used are front wheel drive, in real life...........Decals for headlights

Point two, ................... when NASCAR goes world wide in a cpouple more years, wait to you see the tracks they have in JAPAN........stunningly beautiful..............Europe has some beauty's too.............that's why TOYOTA is in it, one step closer to going world wide...............just a matter of time, and our racing goes overseas...........is nothing sacred anymore.???????????????

The F1 cars really don't have all that much of a speed advantage. The fastest recorded speed of an F1 car that followed regulations is 232mph. This is comparable to what a high end card like a Ford GT or a Ferrari Enzo can do. The F1 cars find their biggest advantage in the corners, where their large tires, light weight, and heavy downforce give them the traction to hit the corners faster than a MotoGP bike. They also have a considerable acceleration advantage owing to their light weight, great traction, and considerable horsepower.

Here is a link to a comparison of a Ducati 999 to a Lamborghini Gallado (probably similar in performance to the Modena).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ParyFBgbxU&mode=related&search=

Richard Petty was asked about the differance before restrictor plates and after . He said that with the restrictor plates you could breath in the turns . Without them you could not breath in the turns .

I gotta tell you . I've only been to one Nascar race , and that was the first night race at Daytona back in 98 . I was very dissapointed by the lack of noise ! I regulary attend NHRA events and truethfully the pack of 43 cars taking the green is nothing compared to 2 fuel dragsters or funny cars . If you go to Daytona or Talladega you will find that earplugs are not needed .