Mark - You were right these Tekton Fostex 4.5 inch speakers are the 'Bomb' - My best value in audio in 30 years!

Cut-Throat

I got these Bubinga Wood Tekton Design speakers this afternoon. I unpacked them and was absolutely delighted in how well they were finished in Exotic Bubinga wood.

I hooked them to my amps and just set the speakers on the floor to see if they would even play. I have been listening to them for the last 3 hours. They are simply stunning! - The best part is that I am using 45 monoblocks with only 1.8 watts a channel - these things are pretty efficient. Fills my 28 x 25 room with a decent volume. They are on the floor!! - I am sure they would sound way better on stands, which I will try this weekend!

Anyone that does not get a pair of these for $500 will be kicking themselves in a few years. They are that good!!

Mark thank you for posting these. - These are my best 'Audio Value' in 30 years of buying components.

These things rock! - And the guy even gives a 30 day return policy!!

Simply F*cking Amazing ! - To show how small these guys are - Here is one sitting in front of Khorn Bass Bin.

IMG_2087.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed Mark's original thread, but I just read up on Eric Alexander's description on his current eBay auctions, and they're certainly very appealing (and affordable). The 4 1/2" Fostex-driven Tektons (and especially his 6" monitors with the Fostex FE167E drivers) remind me alot of the Loth-X Audio Amaze solid cherry monitors I owned awhile ago, with their Stamm-designed Fostex 6" tri-coned single drivers)! The only thing I didn't care for with my Amaze was the fact that at higher levels (with my 8 watt SET amp), the 6 inchers could get a little brittle and shrill in the higher frequencies (something I haven't noticed yet with my current RB-75s, thank goodness). Just curious as you're both breaking in your new Tektons if you've noticed how well these little Fostex drivers are reproducing the highest registers...are they smooth and clear without any harshness to them?

Thanks...

post-11084-13819326093474_thumb.jpg

How are these different than the Omega speakers?.....anyone ?? thanks

tom

Which Omega model are you referring to?

- I looked at the Omega website and there are speakers that have fostex drivers,but look different, cost more, are not finished as nice and I've never heard them, so I can't comment.

Wow!. It is neat seeing others enjoing these speakers. When I got mine from Eric back in Nov., I thought they sounded unbelievable, but thought for $330 nobody would take it seriously!! Glad it was not just me hearing things, amazing how a 4.5" Fostex FE127E can sound. Joe

post-12826-13819326102484_thumb.jpg

I am curious about these thanks to the raves. I have been looking to get my dad a nicer pair of speakers and was considering Quartets because they are not quite as big as Forte's. I have not considered heresies due to relative cost and the sacrifice of bass response since he uses your basic receiver. My old mission 700's might have worked (8" woofer model) except I fixed those up and gave them to my father-in-law already. Seeing his freq response of 50hz on the low end, do you guys recommend these in lieu of my other possibilities? I have a feeling his wife would like the size and looks over extended heritage and the price is right. To ask again has anyone compared the 6" to the 4.5" versions and which is preferred and recommended?

Oldtimer---

These are "audiophile" speakers. Don't get them for people who are just looking for a neat small bookshelf speaker, right? In other words, if someone is just going to listen while vacuuming the rugs or cleaning the house, this is the wrong speaker.

I understand completely. They are not looking at all for anything. I want to upgrade their experience of sound and (here comes the selfish part) listen to something good when I am over there. They live about 25 minutes from me. Being efficient is a big plus, accuracy (by accuracy I mean does an instrument really sound like that) is always what I listen for, so these to me sound like a speaker to consider. The description reminds me of my old Mission 700's, maybe more efficient, perhaps better sounding. Thanks for your comments and feel free to comment more.

I am glad to see people enjoying these fostex drivers. I remember getting flamed for my admiration for Ed Schilling's Hornshoppe Horn using the 126.

I haven't heard the Tekton speaker but the speakers I had were very enjoyable. I really wish I hadn't sold them but will be building a similar design in the next few weeks.

Really interesting thread. I have heard fostex (spelling?) drivers before. Very nice. They were a little harsh in the system that I heard but that was probably somehting else. They sounded great with a tube CD player. Again, probably just this system and driver.

What is going on with the photos? It is really hard to read the thread. Are VGA photos doing this or are these pictures really large?

My attraction to Heritage speakers and Klipsch speakers has nothing at all to do with loudness, so I am in the clear minority here. I have no need or desire or wish or philosophy or compulsion to "recreate" a 500 piece marching band in my living room. Nor, do I need my internal organs to vibrate wildly from bass thumps.

Mark I am also in the minority then, I listen to music between 80-95db. I in no way was saying that you are anyone else that owns Klipsch speakers, has them for the purpose of playing music at ear splitting levels. I have 300B amp and I never use all of the first watt. I just wanted to hear what other Klipsch owners thought of the sound of these little speakers. I like very much how you described the compairison, that's what I was looking for; not any controversy.

Jay