anyone else get to a point where ?????????

• Moderators

I was talking to a tube the other day and she told me Lisa was a real PITA [;)]

That's funny, I was sitting in a bar the other day and in walked a penguin, a frog and a duck . . . and the penguin said the same thing about her.[:)] The duck said only SET for him and the frog was SS. We started talking about the atributes of vinyl vs. CD but the penguin got em all thrown out before we got that far.

Travis

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't had to touch my 299b in the 4 years I've owned it (once Craig rebuilt).

I had minor issues with my Blueberry initially but it turned out to be bad tubes.  No problems with my VRDs except a bad tube once.  Cheap and easily replaced.

I'm thrilled with the sound of all 3 of my tube systems and I doubt I'll upgrade anything in the forseeable future other than possibly a different cart once my stylus needs replacing.

Joe - It's time to settle down and enjoy music.  All my audio funds go to buying music now and much of my time is dedicated to getting rid of LPs I know I'll never listen to.  Isn't music the reason we are in this hobby in the first place?  I thought your system sounded great a couple years ago when Rich and I picked up those Belles from you.  Since then, you've bought and sold more gear then I've ever owned!!

Don't go back to SS!!  That'll be one decision you'll REALLY regret and I guarantee you'll just end up selling it all to buy tubes again.  Lots of folks here have benefited from your gear swapping.  I'm sure they greatly appreciate the deals but it's time to stop and smell the roses buddy!  I remember the first time we met.  It wasn't all that long ago Joe.  Look at all you've acquired since then!!!

Joe,
     Take this wise man's advice, his wisdom is priceless.  I often have to stand back and ask myself if I am listening to my music, or my stereo.  If I say I am listening to my stereo I immediately look for some new music.
      One thing I do is go to thebes thread in the cd&DVD section and look at some of the music reccomondations.  It is all about the music.

-p

plenty of ventilation, and only on a couple hours at a time most of the time, lots of good advice and i appreciate it i will try some of this, i think 1 thing i have been so busy with trying to improve the system i have forgot what it is supposed to be about..........so i will get the pre back and go from there, i will also measure my input voltage and see if i have fluctuations, if so i will get with you bryan and see how to tame that with a transformer as you mentioned thanks for all the support and advice guys

Joe

How can someone just sit back and enjoy the tunes when the amplifier needs servicing? [*-)]

Unless I'm missing something here, I think Joe is happy with his sound? Just not all the maintanence required - and then all the tube lovers are getting defensive about someone thinking about leaving tubes for something more reliable?

I vote for finding yourself an amplifier that is reliable in your environment and achieves the sonic fidelity you require for enjoying your music. Mcintosh amps have a very signature sound that I'd describe as tubelike so that's probably not a bad direction to consider.

During my Air Force days, I had to maintain two air traffic control radar systems at Ramstein AB.

The airport surveillance system - which took up an entire building - was solid state. The final approach radar system - about the size of a long house trailer - was all tubes.

Other than periodic maintenance, we rarely had to touch the solid state system. The tube system, on the other hand, was a constant and absolute PITA, especially on the dreaded occasions when we were required to test our back-up generators. After a powering down, it would routinely take an entire shift (or longer) for three or four techs to get the thing back up and running. Can't tell you how many brand new tubes we threw out because they didn't check out - with some P#s it was like 5 out of 6 as I recall - and this was back in the day when tubes were still made in the US of A and readily available - before you had to buy them from Russia.

There is a lot to be said for equipment that works when you turn it on. Having to let your system warm up for an hour before playing music - is like driving a Stanley Steamer.

To each their own, but I've had my fill of tubes.

James

I wonder if you have a power issue over there. Tubes should not need changing / biasing etc. quite as often as you seem to be experiencing. Having said that - I have moved away from tubes to SS and then to digital for my amp (although the pre is still tubed) but for other reasons.

Life is definitely a bit easier now - and less worrisome - but that really wasnt the issue that drove me.

With the Scott I am now at a point where I'm more than happy..................I have everything I NEED, but deep down inside I WANT more, but must control the urge.................I have TUBES, and I have SS......I have 2 channel, I have 5.1, and can go to 7.1 if I so choose.....Two systems, when I thought I'd only have one.............How much does a guy need?........If I could only swing a Khorn deal........See what I mean? We should all just kick back and ENJOY what we have, it's the MUSIC that matters...............Wonder if COYTEE is sick of those ugly Jubilee's yet, and wants to sell them pre-owned............It never stops, does it ????

"will also measure my input voltage and see if i have fluctuations,
if so i will get with you bryan and see how to tame that with a
transformer as you mentioned thanks for all the support and advice guys"

Does this mean you're blowing tubes and/or having a flux with bias? If so, that's what's happening to me. It's worrysome and annoying as well as $$$.

During my Air Force days, I had to maintain two air traffic control radar systems at Ramstein AB. 

The airport surveillance system - which took up an entire building - was solid state.  The final approach radar system - about the size of a long house trailer - was all tubes.

Other than periodic maintenance, we rarely had to touch the solid state system.  The tube system, on the other hand, was a constant and absolute PITA, especially on the dreaded occasions when we were required to test our back-up generators.  After a powering down, it would routinely take an entire shift (or longer) for three or four techs to get the thing back up and running.  Can't tell you how many brand new tubes we threw out because they didn't check out - with some P#s it was like 5 out of 6 as I recall - and this was back in the day when tubes were still made in the US of A and readily available - before you had to buy them from Russia. 

There is a lot to be said for equipment that works when you turn it on.  Having to let your system warm up for an hour before playing music - is like driving a Stanley Steamer. 

To each their own, but I've had my fill of tubes. 

James 

Man, sitting here reading this thread, I was thinking about writing a post from my expenience in the Air Force with tubes and James wrote it for me.  We would sometimes get entire batches of those "fine" American made tubes (the ones a lot of guys now call NOS) that would either not meet specs immediately or fail in a couple of days. Some think of "tube rolling" as a fun project.  When I had spent 8 hours trying to weed through a group of tubes to find those that would allow me to align a receiver to spec, it was decidely not fun.

As the solid state suff came on line, we got a huge break in the maintenance.  No longer did we fear the occasional power failure.  Pulled a lot of 16 hour shifts recovering from those with tube gear.

Just as an interesting side note, toward the end of my tube experience in the Air Force, we were trying the new (at that time) solid state plug in rectifiers that could replace the 5Y3 and 5U4 (and other tubes).  We got more life out of the rest of the tubes in the sets we installed those in.   

Bob 

"  When I had spent 8 hours trying to weed through a group of tubes to find those that would allow me to align a receiver to spec, it was decidely not fun."

Now you can be these tubes from the "NOS" guys who get them from the property disposal office.

Oh yeah........   I had tubes for a short while.  I had tubes blow out.  Old tubes, new tubes, and NOS tubes.  I had tubes that actually function normally but sounded bad.  I too had to have the equipment serviced.  It got to the point that I was almost afraid to turn on the stereo for fear of what I might see or hear.  The Mrs. got real tired of the tube money pit no matter how nicely they glowed.  I went back to high end SS with Accuphase equipment (E530) and have not looked back or regretted the decision once.  

joesportster,

IMO your first mistake was selling your VRD's. It is highly unlikely you will achieve superior sound with any amp at the same price point. Why not buy another pair of VRD's, a BBX, Basis 2200 and Vector 3 and you'd probably be done ?

I am not intending to start a flame war here, just giving my opinion.

Oh yeah........ I had tubes for a short while. I had tubes blow out. Old tubes, new tubes, and NOS tubes. I had tubes that actually function normally but sounded bad. I too had to have the equipment serviced. It got to the point that I was almost afraid to turn on the stereo for fear of what I might see or hear. The Mrs. got real tired of the tube money pit no matter how nicely they glowed. I went back to high end SS with Accuphase equipment (E530) and have not looked back or regretted the decision once.

I just don't understand this. What tube gear are you guys buying that keeps crapping out on you? Are you making sure stuff is brought back to spec or better before using on a regular basis? When I go home at night and turn on my system, it never even crosses my mind that something will go wrong. It just doesn't happen.

Oh yeah........ I had tubes for a short while. I had tubes blow out. Old tubes, new tubes, and NOS tubes. I had tubes that actually function normally but sounded bad. I too had to have the equipment serviced. It got to the point that I was almost afraid to turn on the stereo for fear of what I might see or hear. The Mrs. got real tired of the tube money pit no matter how nicely they glowed. I went back to high end SS with Accuphase equipment (E530) and have not looked back or regretted the decision once.

I just don't understand this. What tube gear are you guys buying that keeps crapping out on you? Are you making sure stuff is brought back to spec or better before using on a regular basis? When I go home at night and turn on my system, it never even crosses my mind that something will go wrong. It just doesn't happen.

I do not understand this at all. A tube here or there once a year a the most is a minor inconvenience. And my power amp and integrtaed are over 40 years old, although very new from the work Craig performed.

Interesting Bob, I was in the 86th at Ramstien from '76 to '79[;)] You may have been there a wee bit before I was but your not that old[:o] Was the Snitzel lady's stand outside the (S) flightline base entrance when you were there? Thinking about it makes me want a nice curry braut basket with pom fritz[:P] and a nice Parkbrau to wash it back with