Klipsch guys, Upgrading LaScalas to III

Klewless

I thought the biggest difference was the beefier cabinet. I was told that you can take your current LaScalas and as you say, beef them up. Jim Hunter (I think it was him, while I was in the museum) said specifically that if you beef up the cabinet, you can get same bottom end sound.

You won't have the looks nor removable top (if you've got traditional LaScalas) so like Trey said... buy a new pair!!

What would it take to upgrade a fairly modern version of LaScalas to LaScala III ?

1. Drivers?

2. Horns?

3. Crossover?
Does Klipsch make an [edit:] AL-4 upgrade kit as an LS equivalent of the AK-4 upgrade kits for Klipschorns? The AK-4 kit includes or included the AK-4 crossover on a new bass bin door, new K-77-F tweet, new K-55-X MR, and precut wire connections. The upper crossover point for the new K-horns and La Scala IIs is shifted down to 4500. I thought the AK-4 was a considerable improvement on what I had before. I don't know, but assume that Dean, Al Klappenberger and Bob Crites make fine alternative xovers.

As trey said, Klipsch doesn't make an upgrade kit for La
Scalas. The AL-4 La Scalas sound so near the Type AA La Scalas I
have I can't see changing.

If you want to
improve your La Scalas and go for max performance, glue and nail a
second 3/4" layer of void-free birch on the sides (the top and bottom
are well braced by the doghouse), install "Z-brackets" to flush-mount
the tweeters, consider Bob Crites tweeters for more UHF, and design
your own steep slope crossover networks with the crossover points of
your choice (I'd recommend 500 and 5000) or buy somebody's custom built
steep slope crossovers.

For me, the noticible flaw in La
Scalas is the heaviness of male voices caused by the sides
resonating. Mine just look too nice to do anything about it.

What would it take to upgrade a fairly modern version of LaScalas to LaScala III ?

1. Drivers?

2. Horns?

3. Crossover?

Already know bass horn needs to be beefed up.

Could there be an upgrade kit made available?

Thanks
I could build you a beefed up La Scala bass bin.It weighs in at 120 lbs. Ask Tarheel about it.

"OK I will restate my question this way. Were there any driver changes?Was there a xover change?Beefed up cab is something I can handle."

What do you have now?

Didn't they move to the K-55X for the squawker and then a tractrix tweeter? Or was the new tweeter only put on the cornwall/heresy? I do know the crossover had to be reworked to account for the extra LF gained by the beefier cabinet.

If I was going to go through all the work to jerry-rig myself some LSIII's, I would just sooner build a pair of Jubilee bass bins and enjoy the far superior performance.

Didn't they move to the K-55X for the squawker and then a tractrix tweeter? Or was the new tweeter only put on the cornwall/heresy? I do know the crossover had to be reworked to account for the extra LF gained by the beefier cabinet.

If I was going to go through all the work to jerry-rig myself some LSIII's, I would just sooner build a pair of Jubilee bass bins and enjoy the far superior performance.

Really?? If you are already fairly happy with the LaScala sound? Instead of spending about an hour or so to glue and nail a second 3/4 layer of void-free birch on the sides to beef up the bottom of existing LaScalas, install some Crites tweeters, and put in some steep slope crossovers........you would really buy all the lumber and screws and spend countless hours and build a set of Jubilee bottoms (see Rigma's thread) - essentially starting from scratch?

No question that the Jubilee is far superior to a modded LaScala II bass bin, but you would really build a set of Jubilee bass bins from scratch instead of trying some mods first?[:o]

Wow, I envy the free time that you have..............

Carl.

"If I was going to go through all the work to jerry-rig myself some LSIII's, I would just sooner build a pair of Jubilee bass bins and enjoy the far superior performance."

Let's see some pic's, past, present, or if you elect, any future wood project.

I heard Jubilees, Khorn, LaScala's, and my take is that if you use the same drivers, the Jubilee concept is different, but not superior for home use.   The thing is just too big.

"If I was going to go through all the work to jerry-rig myself some LSIII's, I would just sooner build a pair of Jubilee bass bins and enjoy the far superior performance."

I heard Jubilees, Khorn, LaScala's, and my take is that if you use the same drivers, the Jubilee concept is different, but not superior for home use. The thing is just too big.

Fritz, it takes some balls to make that statement in these pro-Jubilee waters. Yikes!!!

Expect flames or sarcastic quips any second now. I would love to hear a pair of Jubs so I could also weigh in on the subject with my own comparisons of the three speakers.

Next, you'll be asserting that the much smaller 510 horn is better for short throw applications, and you will be questioning why everyone is insisting on the monsterous 402 horn? Hey, wait a second, didn't someone from Klipsch already ask that? [:$]

Carl.

I heard Jubilees, Khorn, LaScala's, and my take is that if you use the same drivers, the Jubilee concept is different, but not superior for home use. The thing is just too big.

Fritz, it takes some balls to make that statement in these pro-Jubilee waters. Yikes!!!

Expect flames or sarcastic quips any second now. I would love to hear a pair of Jubs so I could also weigh in on the subject with my own comparisons of the three speakers.

Next, you'll be asserting that the much smaller 510 horn is better for short throw applications, and you will be questioning why everyone is insisting on the monsterous 402 horn? Hey, wait a second, didn't someone from Klipsch already ask that? [:$]

Carl.

First I would like to make a few points about the K510/K402 misinformation that is spread about on the forum.

Size itself doesn't make a horn a long throw or short throw and at best the coverage angle designed into the horn would be a better way to describe a so called long throw versus a short throw horn.

The K402 and K510 share a very similar coverage angle design excepting that the K402 is superior in it's ability to maintain it's coverage angle to a much lower frequency (250Hz Horizontal and 550Hz vertical) versus the K510's (600z horizontal and 1400Hz Vertical) if held to the same points of deviation from the designs coverage angles. Actually the K402 measures smoother than the K510 across the board.

The fact is the K402 is the superior horn in every way measurable compared to the K510 and no doubt there would be audible differances between the K510/Jubilee versus the K402/Jubilee but if you tweak the crossover frequencies and design for the right compromises the K510/Jubilee might easily satisfy many and would probably be a very good compromise for asthetic reasons for some.

As far as judging the sound of the Jubilee keep in mind that with all speakers and even the Khorn there are as many different sounds to the KHorn as there are rooms to put them in! In other words the KHorn sound is in a big part influenced by the room and so it will be the same with the Jubilee. what I can say to anyone is when I replaced my Khorns with the Jubilee in the same room the Jubilee was clearly superior and if that difference is worth it to someone then that is actually a personel decision. By the way for what its worth the Jubilees are the last speakers I intend to own.

mike tn[:)]

PS. Sorry for getting a little off topic Klewless with the Jubilee talk.

"The fact is the K402 is the superior horn in every way measurable compared to the K510 and no doubt there would be audible differances between the K510/Jubilee versus the K402/Jubilee but if you tweak the crossover frequencies and design for the right compromises the K510/Jubilee might easily satisfy many and would probably be a very good compromise for asthetic reasons for some."

Mike, did you get to hear the 510 in 2005? I have heard some say they couldn't hear a difference. I myself haven't heard the 510.

Really?? If you are already fairly happy with the LaScala sound? Instead of spending about an hour or so to glue and nail a second 3/4 layer of void-free birch on the sides to beef up the bottom of existing LaScalas, install some Crites tweeters, and put in some steep slope crossovers........you would really buy all the lumber and screws and spend countless hours and build a set of Jubilee bottoms (see Rigma's thread) - essentially starting from scratch?

No question that the Jubilee is far superior to a modded LaScala II bass bin, but you would really build a set of Jubilee bass bins from scratch instead of trying some mods first?[:o]

Wow, I envy the free time that you have..............

Carl.

If you don't enjoy the building process, then by all means just purchase the bins....

As far as the build time, Rigma is a slow poke and you can't expect nobody else in the world to have the time because you don't. I certainly don't have the time, tools, nor the funds to do it right now - but that also means I wouldn't have the time to arse around with modding a lascala bass bin either. The overhaul process to replicate the LIII would take a lot longer than you ellude to, especially if you want it to look as nice.

And not everyone is in agreement about "super slopes" and Bob's tweeters...it's certainly no longer a Klipsch once you start doing that level of mod too.