Darned TUBES!!!!!!!! %$!^*^&%@#

meagain

That is true jb. In general, tube amps create a much more enveloping experience. I don't say they save the world.

SS has its place. If you don't have a dedicated 2 channel system and/or want to listen to multichannel or have a home theater, SS is the way to go. My home theater is SS. I would love to upgrade it and replace my Yammie with a Bryston preamp and multichannel amp.

But I think you are compromising if you use a SS amp in a two channel system. At the very least, use a tube preamp and a SS amp.

I was an absolute "you are kidding yourselves about tube amps" guy and bought one just to prove tube amps sucked. Now I own three. My wife, not an audio nut by any means, heard a comparison and immediately said - with regards to the tube amp - this is incredible, why would you need anything else but this? My kids instantly heard the difference. In my specific scenario, there is no comparison. None.

PS. Sell those amps Lisa and head on down to Best Buy. You have three offers on the table. Jump.

I checked Best Buy's website. I couldn't find any of my SS equipment there. It's a 2 channel system too. I am going to tough it out and continue to suffer with it though, compromises and all.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you using now Tiger?

I just posted because this whole Ford vs. Chevy debate is really old. I have really nice SS equipment and am very happy. That being said, you have really nice tube equipment and should be happy very happy. The Peach, VRD's and Jolida are end of the road items. Send your amp back to Craig for a once over and be done with these problems.

I'm on a long self imposed vacation from this place just to much bullsh!t flying around for me but thought this thread needed some attention.

Craig

I feel the exact same way. The over opinionated expert wanabee's are annoying to say the least, and when I feel like hurting someone, I figure it's time to step away for a while, or at least put a strick limit on the forum.

Lisa, stop f*!&ing around and just send the amp(s) to Craig.

EDIT:

Ooops, seems you found your trouble source. I'll have to go back and see what the fix was.

Mark - Well, I kinda spent many many many hundreds more for it without tubes.... With all the tube purchases.... oooaaa... I could say buy me a beer and we have a deal, but you're far away. Oh well.

Anarchist - I'm sure everyone could find a similar big difference between amps/gear depending on the amps in comparison. Did you have crapola before?

I guess you found your problem and everything's working again. Just let me know if you change your mind.

Noone's going to give you near what you paid for them......after they've been in your cursed system and blew up 3 or 4 times.....plus had YOU messing with them. [:D][;)]

I vote for the solid state route - or at least the digital amp route. Far less hassle and it's gonna sound better too.

Hmmm... well I've had all 3 hooked up to my rig and there is no comparison... the VRD's blew them all away! I guess ymmv...

Hang in there Lisa!

Mike

I vote for the solid state route - or at least the digital amp route. Far less hassle and it's gonna sound better too.

LOL Who... Better? :) How do you explain this statement? Have you heard VRDs? I think they sound pretty darned good.

Back to looking for a fuse today. And maybe an amp switcher. No sense running tubes when I'm watching cable news.

"Far less hassle and it's gonna sound better too."

When I hear stuff like this it makes me want to buy an ST-70 and keep it floating around the forum so the folks who make such unbased comments can at least say they did an assestment before coming to a conclusion.  In the end, the time i would save countering such remarks might pay off the low investment.