First Juicy Music Experience!

wallflower

Another forum member brought over his newly acquired (used) Merlin this weekend and all I can say is WOW!! Mark Deneen is making an outstanding pre-amp. I've auditioned $5,000 tube pre-amps that I didn't think sound as good as this Merlin. Now I'm really curious what the Peach and the BlueBerry Xtreme sound like.

Of course I know I'm preaching to the choir, but for a complement to the Klipsch Heritage speakers it's hard to imagine a better bang for your buck with a tube pre-amp than something from Juicy Music Audio.

Way to go Mark!!!

Agreed, and I really think the Merlin is a sleeper, very good but off the radar. If it catches on, Mark might feel compelled to raise the price. [;)]

I love mine. Now I just need to get his phono pre.

Bruce

question, if I consider separate pre/amps in my tube journey- which will have a greater effect on my overall sound quality?

Do you plan on listening to Lp's on your tube system? That might make a difference in what you look for.Marks Blueberry is a keeper!

Larry

Yes Marks preamps are the cats meow. His pCAT mono blocks are to die for. It sets a new standard as far as I am concerned. If you liked his preamps you owe it to yourself to hear the pCATs.

Josh 

Josh,
  How would you compare the cats to say........ what you have in your avitar?    -p

wallflower said: "Another forum member brought over his newly acquired (used) Merlin this weekend and all I can say is WOW!! Mark Deneen is making an outstanding pre-amp. I've auditioned $5,000 tube pre-amps that I didn't think sound as good as this Merlin. Now I'm really curious what the Peach and the BlueBerry Xtreme sound like."

Just curious - What $5000 pre amps are you referring to? When was it and was the audition in the same or a similar room? Were similar sources and power amps used?

Michael,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Certain power amps can be a problem. I had (still have) an Adcom GFA 555 that did not work well with the La Scalas - it was too grainy. With other less efficient speakers the Adcom is fine. Switching to a better (actually much better) SS power amp made an enormous difference in my system. However, in general I would agree with what others have said and reiterate that the pre-amp makes a huge difference. I'd definitely give very serious consideration to getting one of Mark's pre-amps and going with a separate power amp. Mark is really on to something. You can officially include me in the Juicy Music fan club!!

boomac-<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I should have said "a $5,000 tube pre-amp". It was a Conrad Johnson CT6. The audition was in my listening room (the same room). All the sources and other components were the same.

I also have a Conrad Johnson PV-14L tube pre-amp (certainly not a $5,000 pre-amp, but decent none the less), which isn't even close to being in the same league as the Merlin sound wise.

The Merlin is more open, has more depth and detail, much better mid-range and most importantly is more neutral than either of the CJ's. The only things I'd like to see added to the Merlin are a remote and a grounded power cord. However, the remote would add considerably to the price so I could live without that.

I started a thread a while back about the differences between SS and tubes for recreating the live sound. I still think my little SS preamp sounds more like live music, but that doesn't mean it sounds better. I think for sitting and listening to the music for any length of time I'd prefer to listen to the Merlin. What a great little pre-amp!

wallflower said: "Another forum member brought over his newly acquired (used) Merlin this weekend and all I can say is WOW!! Mark Deneen is making an outstanding pre-amp. I've auditioned $5,000 tube pre-amps that I didn't think sound as good as this Merlin. Now I'm really curious what the Peach and the BlueBerry Xtreme sound like."

Just curious - What $5000 pre amps are you referring to? When was it and was the audition in the same or a similar room? Were similar sources and power amps used?

I havent compared a juicy music preamp against a 5 thousand dollar preamp but I have compared them, in the same system and the same room with a number of preamps including a Cary SLP 808, a McIntosh C 22, a McIntosh MX 110, A Cary SLP 98, and a Rogue that I cannot remember the model of. I have to say that I prefer the Peach to all of them. I owned a number of those listed and others were auditions for possible purchase. All I can say is that I have the Peach in my system now.

Josh

I havent compared a juicy music preamp against a 5 thousand dollar preamp but I have compared them, in the same system and the same room with a number of preamps including a Cary SLP 808, a McIntosh C 22, a McIntosh MX 110, A Cary SLP 98, and a Rogue that I cannot remember the model of. I have to say that I prefer the Peach to all of them. I owned a number of those listed and others were auditions for possible purchase. All I can say is that I have the Peach in my system now.

Josh

Yeah, but betcha haven't compared a JM pre to a certain $2500 preamp...............[;)] Have you?

Just curious.

Carl.

Josh,

Your post confirms my initial impression that the Peach is an outstanding value, and is comparable to equipment costing much more $. New, my Cary was an over $4,000 pre, with mods. The 98 starts_ at $3500(same as SLP 2002), & most are modded to cost much more.You said you like the Peach sound better than the 98. I agree. I've not heard a 98 that has the transparency that I prefer. I listened to several, with different mods at different prices, before getting the SLP 2002-It was a better fit for my ears. I cannot say that I prefer the Peach to the SLP 2002, but I'm very pleased with it, and am just beginning to listen and form an opinion about it. I already know that it's a keeper, and have already turned down several offers to buy it. For some reason, some think that if one doesn't initially post that a piece is the best ever heard, that one must be dissatisfied with it. My Peach is not for sale either.

SSH

Two questions:

In regards to the Peach, just what exactly is a "HT bypass?"

and

Would a tube set up run through Heresys be a good set up for heavy metal music? Cornwalls would be better, I assume, since there's more bass response, but would tubes be the way to go if you're a metal fan. It's 50% metal, and 50% Grateful Dead shows - and I know that tubes and horns make a kick *** combo for listening to Dead shows.

I got a bunch of used vinyl, and lots of 70s metal, a la Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rush, Scorpions, NWOBHM, etc., and I think this would sound great through a tubed system, like a Blueberry matched with VRDs.

Maybe the newer, more extreme metal might not be a good fit with tubes?

Sorry, didn't mean to take this thread off course.

Actually, I prefer to listen to Dead shows on my Cornwalls with my Scott 299b vs my Khorns with VRDs and BBX. The live shows just sound better with the Cornwall bass IMO. If listening to Dead LPs, it's the Khorn system all the way.

Edit: It's all tubes though so yeah, they sound great for listening to live music. Tubes might also tone down some of the shrill of the heavy metal stuff too but you might want to audition both if you have the chance. It's up to your ears to decide.