Class A amps with Klipsch Heritage

....Well all have different wants, needs and above all ears. What sounds good to you is good. Taking any one persons opinion as fact is a recipe for failure in audio. Just too many variables.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Don't think anyone would disagree with that. I do think that folks should take the opportunity to hear what they can before choosing and to disregard preconceived notions on what various topography's can and cannot do.

Josh

How does topography relate to audio? How would it affect what one hears? Would you mind elaborating on what it can and cannot do?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

....Well all have different wants, needs and above all ears. What sounds good to you is good. Taking any one persons opinion as fact is a recipe for failure in audio. Just too many variables.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Don't think anyone would disagree with that. I do think that folks should take the opportunity to hear what they can before choosing and to disregard preconceived notions on what various topography's can and cannot do.

Josh

My point is that many here say lots of things about all things audio - me included - and that individual ears are individual ears as Craig said his ears are different than my ears so what I prefer is different. I was suggesting that people listen rather than take what is said by others as the gospel - that's all.

Josh

How does topography relate to audio? How would it affect what one hears? Would you mind elaborating on what it can and cannot do?

"...With well design A/B push pull amps you rarely ever going to push the amps out of Class A operation..."

Craig

I know some A/B amps are specifically designed to operate at low levels in class A, then move to A/B as needed... but you're suggesting that A/B amps as a class do this? If so, this does not match the general idea that A/B at low levels is more prone to crossover distortion...?

Well that would depend on the amp and what the designer did with it. My amps for instance run in class too nearly 20 watts in ultra linear and about 10 in triode mode. Yes VRD's are biased on the class A side of the AB envelop. This is why I say us Klipsch users will just about never push them out of class A you would have to be a real head banger in the very large room.

My entire point in this thread is the difference in the sound of one amplifier to another can not be attributed solely on the class of operation, triode, ultra linear and so on. So many other variables to take into account and in the end its more the preference of the amps designer and him putting his personal touch to the voicing the amps.

The perfect amp for every listener does not exist. Some amps are clearly better then others in every respect. But by the same token some are just different then the next. Many wonderful sounding amps exist on the market and I'm absolutely sure the Pcat's would be considered one of them. Would the Pcat's float my boat? From what I have read so far I doubt it. Would I think they were horrible......absolutely not.

Josh obviously loves what he is hearing and I have no problem with that. But the great thing in this situation for me with Josh is I can get a very keen idea as to if I would like the sound. I have rebuilt some 5 or 6 different amps for Josh and garnished pretty detailed opinions and comparisons on them all. In just about all cases his opinion and ratings are the exact opposite of mine about which one he likes the best and why. So that would lead me to believe that he prefers a very different sound then I do. Is he wrong...... absolutely not. You can not be wrong in your preferences to what you like in audio it's literally impossible. I can sit back to myself and say that person is nuts and to me that person would be........but that is based on my preferences to the sound.

Craig

The one thing we do have in common is where we have set our networks. Dean tells me that you settled on 3/0 with his super aa's and the trachorn. I did the same.I guess that means you are right about something! [;)]

Josh

It seems undeniable that objective criteria can absolutely define the best topology for music reproduction. One then must decide what additional criteria - whether objective or subjective - impacts the design requiring trade-offs. You must have an ideal before you can make trade-offs or there are no trade-offs.

That said - with Mark having shipped his fully class A, true triode, cool name amplifers, some of us would like an update on the DIY offerings - just some small details on things like the Merlin II and integrated amp. Some of us need a fix.

"How does topography relate to audio? How would it affect what one hears? Would you mind elaborating on what it can and cannot do?"

Change topography to topology or you might get some silly answers...

Thanks OT

josh

Thank's for your response,yes&yes,

from responses it
seems that the there is a vast difference in design goals, realising
that the high standards needed to acheive the buliders goal,

the
technacial specification in their design will only be visible on a
scope, and their audioble range,can only be heard by the listiner,

baised on the voicing of the bulider,so since a class" a/b" by its very
nature is built on the basis of change its naturally seeks to adapt as
stress is

applied.

The class" a" design is whatever condition, its requirement is to function in its design range.

two different approach to the listner's ear.

thanks

The one thing we do have in common is where we have set our networks. Dean tells me that you settled on 3/0 with his super aa's and the trachorn. I did the same.I guess that means you are right about something! [;)]

Josh

Well at least I'm getting thru too ya on some level[;)]

Hello , im working on building my system and its just not making my ears happy. Im currently running 2 sets of CF-3s front and rear using Pioneers Spec 2 amplifiers . 1 amp for each set of speakers . Just was reading some forums , what are pcats? Are they tube amps? Im running all devices through a pioneer spec1 preamp. I do use the Pioneer Sg 9800 EQs 1 for the front and 1 for the rear. Nothing is set to far from flat . Just curious if any one can help as to what amplifier does the CF-3s like.

Would any real or perceived benefits of class A be increased, decreased or inconsequential for someone who is biamping? (presume a NON class A on the 'other side")

If there would be a difference, would the difference be 'better' if the class A was put on the top end or bottom end?

Scenario: currently McIntosh MC-2102 on HF horn and solid state on LF horn

Wondering: what would happen with Class A on HF horn and same solid state on LF horn

??

Our sensitivity to distortions of all kind is more pronounced in the midrange and treble than in the bass. If one takes the position then that a Class A amplifier has beneficial properties regarding distortions, then you are going to notice that effect more on the midrange or highs than in the bass. Maybe a simpler way to say it is put your most revealing amplifier on the mid or high frequencies.

Many years ago, my dad played string bass in a band. According to him, the average listener couldn't even tell if a bass player is playing in tune or not, although he always was. "Bass is bass" to many folks' ears...