OT: Still use film?

When I knew I was going to Japan I bought a Kodak easy Share 4 megapixel and got a 256(around 250 pics at 4 megpxls) and a 1 GB(around 1350 pics) cards and took around 1500 pics while in Japan. From past experience with 3 rolls of 36 film usualy about 10-15 pics came out really good/great, and the rest vaired from good, okay, to bad.

So I figured if I took 1500 pics I would come back with around 100-150 great pics. I went to Kyoto and a small city up in the Japanese Alps called Takayama and Shirakawago and probably came back with around 200 great pics, 200 really good, and most of the rest were okay.

Now when I look at pics from Japan compared to pics taken on the old film both do something the other does not.

I had a Canon sure shot that used film

post-13699-13819344417002_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sputnik I shoot with an FE2 as well! I love it! I also love my Canon EXEE, my Holga 120 & especially my Lomo. For digital I use a simple $3-400 Nikon Coolpix.

My FM2 and FE2 have been a great pair of cameras to work with. I'm dead familiar with them and I have a collection of great glass for them. Almost indentical designs and both have an advantage over digital on one significant point - they can still take pictures with dead batteries. I've used these in pretty extreme conditions without failiure (with and without battery power.) Film and film cameras have certain drawbacks in cold weather but nothing as bad as looking at a dead LCD (for extended trips into the cold, you just can't keep spare batteries warm.) Yeah, I'll still keep a small digital inside my coat for an easy snapshot as long the batteries hold up - I really like the Coolpix 8400 for that among other reasons.

Just curious to see if any of this diverse bunch of audio guys still use a film camera?

I admit that I have gotten extremely lazy and use my Nikon D100 as a point and shoot.

Cant argue with the convenience of digital but personally I would put a lot more thought into the shot before taking it when I used film.

Pete

Yes, absolutely.

I use digital for economic reasons, and because I got tired of having my 35 mm Nikon repaired over and over again.

Most Hollywood feature filmmakers still use film --- it must be because of film's potentially higher quality, and the fact that if anyone ever comes up with a truly high resolution, high acutance DVD-like medium, the filmmakers will have a higher quality original (film!) of their current films to get transfers from.

On a panel with George Lucas and others, Spielberg said he liked film, liked its feel, liked its smell, and that he would not go to digital, "Until George makes me."

Sputnik: Great shot of your Nikon lenses! There is something about a lens .... Here is my favorite lens shot ... even the viewfinder lens is impressive! If the picture doesn't come through, I'll try again if someone will tell me how to get a picture on to the forum, I realize the reflection is via composite, but even so ... I believe this particular Todd-AO ultra wide angle (128 degrees) lens was about 9" in diameter, and with the 65 mm film moving at 30 frames per second (in the early Todd-AO), the image was great, even though the ultra-wide had a little distortion.

miketodd.jpg
Mike Todd reflected in his "Bugeye" lens.

Just had a wedding in the family this weekend. The photographer we chose was someone who uses a Nikon digital (I can't even remember the model at the moment). He doesn't do prints and albums... he gives you a CD or DVD of all the images. So we will receive a DVD of over 600 images. He is spending a great amount of time making adjustments to the images, as he always shoots in raw format. As a former photog, the final work is always in the darkroom, and higher res digital photos allow that to be done. But just like the darkroom, you have to learn how to use the tools at your disposal.

There is a great lab close to where I work. He want all pics at 300 dpi. You would really think they are film. They are magic. But the shot needs to be good to start with. That is the most important thing to remember.

What I find interesting... is that a mass market lab (or labs) like Walgreens, automatically resizes photos to 1536x 1024. And the look fine for most prints. They allow much larger pixel counts for larger size prints. It is amazing what a pic can look like with such a crummy pixel count.

Canon just announced a 21.x megapixel camera. Simply amazing. But you need a computer that can easily work with 60+ meg images to work with the files.

Bruce